Will CS ever be replaced?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

Brief background: I'm a PC gaming "noob," as one might say. At 18 years old, the big CS explosion was a little before my time.

In any case -- I have realized that CS 1.6 is still one of the most-played games on Steam (sometimes the most-played), concerning competitive multiplayer. Frequently much more than CSS.

It has stood the test of time against other competitive shooters that have come and gone, and still stands head-to-head regarding popularity with even the huge blockbuster titles that are flooding the market today, and that have been during previous years of this decade.

Do you think that CS will be replaced any time soon? By CSGO perhaps?

Or is it here to stay for a very, VERY long time?

(Thinking of giving it a shot and throwing 1k+ hours into it and becoming a semi-half-decent-legitimate player if most of the answers are yes; I've been watching matches for years and my trigger finger is itching...you can laugh, but it's one of my dreams).

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Im hoping that CSGO will be bigger, only because if I get into CS now, Im gonna be slaughtered, because everyone knows maps and what not.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

In this generation and the next you will not see a MP game that is as hardcore as CS. For all of its popularity it is a game with a very niche skill set. That is why some love it and some hate it. I'm somewhere in between. I like that the kills feel rewarding but I've also spent 20 hrs on the game so far and I really don't feel any better than when I started. How long does it take before it becomes less of a chore and actually fun to play?

Games have tried to be hardcore and failed - RO2 for one. There are a lot of factors as to why CS is popular and why it won't be replaced, including its history and the Valve label etc. How can a new game match that?

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

No offense to Valve but they need a marketing team if they want their games to be big. Though all their success comes from loyalty to pc base with sales and free updates ex. tf2. I think if they invest some good dough into advertising the game than CS will once again be big, b.c I know those hardcore fanatics will come crawling back out if enough newcomers to be killed the l337, n3wbz!!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 biggest_loser
No offense to Valve but they need a marketing team if they want their games to be big. Though all their success comes from loyalty to pc base with sales and free updates ex. tf2. I think if they invest some good dough into advertising the game than CS will once again be big, b.c I know those hardcore fanatics will come crawling back out if enough newcomers to be killed the l337, n3wbz!! Bikouchu35
Once again be big? You're kidding me right? Top games by current player count Current Players Peak Today Game 121,419 287,411 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 17,116 45,216 Team Fortress 2 16,263 86,832 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer 10,978 67,934 Counter-Strike 9,539 53,677 Counter-Strike: Source 8,869 62,866 Football Manager 2012 8,123 22,333 Sid Meier's Civilization V 6,629 38,277 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 5,854 5,854 Saints Row the Third 5,098 11,448 DC Universe Online
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

In this generation and the next you will not see a MP game that is as hardcore as CS. For all of its popularity it is a game with a very niche skill set. That is why some love it and some hate it. I'm somewhere in between. I like that the kills feel rewarding but I've also spent 20 hrs on the game so far and I really don't feel any better than when I started. How long does it take before it becomes less of a chore and actually fun to play?

biggest_loser

Well, for one, it takes a lot more than 20 hours to get good at the game. It takes longer than 20 hours to get good at just about any game. I've never found the game a chore to play, even when starting out. But I've been playing Counter Strike for longer than any game I've ever played, so it's hard to recall that point :P.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

KHAndAnime

Well, for one, it takes a lot more than 20 hours to get good at the game. It takes longer than 20 hours to get good at just about any game. I've never found the game a chore to play, even when starting out. But I've been playing Counter Strike for longer than any game I've ever played, so it's hard to recall that point :P.

I kind of expected this response. Most games these days, fair to say, are not 20 hrs long for a start and don't require the precision of CS. I've jumped straight into BF3, with some BC2 experience, not a lot mind you. And its extremely accessible. Secondly, I have a life! (believe it or not) So I don't really want to spend another 200+ hrs on a game that I may or may not become good at, let alone enjoy.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bikouchu35

I have a life! (believe it or not)

Lulz I find it funny with the post count and quoting me with stats and all :P biggest_loser

Anyways CS isnt the top of the food chain in your everyday talk anymore I mean only the most hardcore of people go gungho along with foreign countries that found their game in CS. The average joe I bump into would rave about bf3 or cod etc if you know what I mean. A fair portion of the gaming crowd have moved on to the inferior platforms (console) sadly so the well being of cs being top dog will have to rely on that to a certain degree.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]I have a life! (believe it or not)

Lulz I find it funny with the post count and quoting me with stats and all :P Bikouchu35

Anyways CS isnt the top of the food chain in your everyday talk anymore I mean only the most hardcore of people go gungho along with foreign countries that found their game in CS. The average joe I bump into would rave about bf3 or cod etc if you know what I mean. A fair portion of the gaming crowd have moved on to the inferior platforms (console) sadly so the well being of cs being top dog will have to rely on that to a certain degree.

Who cares about everyday talk though? You can't measure that. As much as you might ridicule numbers they are proof that CS is still popular. Look what games are just ahead of it MW3 (sold better than BOs) and Skyrim (record numbers). Take those out and its still way, way up there.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

It has been replaced by Team Fortress 2. I don't know why Valve bother dragging it's corpse and giving it new make up (the forthcomming C-S).

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CaptainAhab13

It has been replaced by Team Fortress 2. I don't know why Valve bother dragging it's corpse and giving it new make up (the forthcomming C-S).

nameless12345
Mmm... no. It has seen a huge jump since going F2P, but it hasn't been replaced by that game. They're too different, and many view TF2 to be a much more casual-oriented game. (Not saying that is is, though!)
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bikouchu35

Who cares about everyday talk though? You can't measure that. As much as you might ridicule numbers they are proof that CS is still popular. Look what games are just ahead of it MW3 (sold better than BOs) and Skyrim (record numbers). Take those out and its still way, way up there. biggest_loser

Lol, so cynical. There are other games out there untracked by steam too. Im not saying is dead, Im just saying is not big as it once was.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/online.aspx 273k the past 24h. I know is not pc, but CS was pretty big so I hope they can live up to the former glory, and what Im saying is that Valve can bring in numbers like battlefield or if their lucky even mw numbers if they market their game enough, but knowing Valve I have yet to see tv ads aside from portal 2 but that was only recently perhaps they are making a step at the right direction orrr maybe that was just EA footwork to get more sales.

Besides I almost forget what my original post was I think im referring more to cs go than cs 1.6 anyway so Im not sure why you were so bigg at jumping on my post.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

CaptainAhab13

Mmm... no. It has seen a huge jump since going F2P, but it hasn't been replaced by that game. They're too different, and many view TF2 to be a much more casual-oriented game. (Not saying that is is, though!)

Maybe not replace per-se, but I really don't think Valve should make any more C-S games. I mean Source was already a graphics overhaul of the original so why make another version?

If they made Source 2 they could port it over to that engine but nothing more.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CaptainAhab13

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Maybe not replace per-se, but I really don't think Valve should make any more C-S games. I mean Source was already a graphics overhaul of the original so why make another version?

Agreed. I think CSGO is marketed more at console gamers, though -- I have a feeling Valve sees the massive console market and is taking a stab at appealing to those who haven't really ever touched any form of CS more than briefly, if at all.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] Who cares about everyday talk though? You can't measure that. As much as you might ridicule numbers they are proof that CS is still popular. Look what games are just ahead of it MW3 (sold better than BOs) and Skyrim (record numbers). Take those out and its still way, way up there. Bikouchu35

Lol, so cynical. There are other games out there untracked by steam too. Im not saying is dead, Im just saying is not big as it once was.

273k the past 24h. I know is not pc, but CS was pretty big so I hope they can live up to the former glory, and what Im saying is that Valve can bring in numbers like battlefield or if their lucky even mw numbers if they market their game enough, but knowing Valve I have yet to see tv ads aside from portal 2 but that was only recently perhaps they are making a step at the right direction orrr maybe that was just EA footwork to get more sales.

Besides I almost forget what my original post was I think im referring more to cs go than cs 1.6 anyway so Im not sure why you were so bigg at jumping on my post.

I get what you are saying and its still silly.

Not as big as it once was? Again, look at what games are just ahead of it. Its still huge, considering its age.

You can link Halo to me but thats not a hardcore, niche game. It is amazing that CS still after many, many years has the numbers it does, considering the skill level etc. Some would kill me for this but surely Halo is on part with COD etc for accessibility.

If its being sustained this well Valve doesn't need to waste money on ads. They would be extremely pleased with the numbers.

If they were to start marketing heavily you can kiss goodbye free DLC etc.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CaptainAhab13

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] Who cares about everyday talk though? You can't measure that. As much as you might ridicule numbers they are proof that CS is still popular. Look what games are just ahead of it MW3 (sold better than BOs) and Skyrim (record numbers). Take those out and its still way, way up there. biggest_loser

273k the past 24h. I know is not pc, but CS was pretty big so I hope they can live up to the former glory, and what Im saying is that Valve can bring in numbers like battlefield or if their lucky even mw numbers if they market their game enough, but knowing Valve I have yet to see tv ads aside from portal 2 but that was only recently perhaps they are making a step at the right direction orrr maybe that was just EA footwork to get more sales.

I get what you are saying and its still silly.

Not as big as it once was? Again, look at what games are just ahead of it. Its still huge, considering its age.

You can link Halo to me but thats not a hardcore, niche game. It is amazing that CS still after many, many years has the numbers it does, considering the skill level etc. Some would kill me for this but surely Halo is on part with COD etc for accessibility.

If its being sustained this well Valve doesn't need to waste money on ads. They would be extremely pleased with the numbers.

If they were to start marketing heavily you can kiss goodbye free DLC etc.

I have to admit to some extent I agree -- any more "marketing" isn't really needed for CS; pretty much all gamers know of CS's existence, at least. I hear about new players joining/asking questions about it all the time, on multiple gaming forums on the internet. Heck, a couple of my friends started playing last month, and they've never touched CS nor CSS in their lives. They started out rough, but I hear it is going relatively well for them. Halo and CoD are both, in my opinion, easier to "pick up and play" than CS, which can help explain a portion of why they are so popular/have been so popular. I agree that it is amazing CS has lasted this long -- I guess that's what happens when the right community forms around a game with absolutely stellar competitive gameplay.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

I kind of expected this response. Most games these days, fair to say, are not 20 hrs long for a start and don't require the precision of CS. I've jumped straight into BF3, with some BC2 experience, not a lot mind you. And its extremely accessible. Secondly, I have a life! (believe it or not) So I don't really want to spend another 200+ hrs on a game that I may or may not become good at, let alone enjoy.

If you don't enjoy CS - don't play it. The game should always be fun (unless you're the type of person who needs gratification). If you don't find it fun to start, I doubt you'll find it fun at any point. And for me Counter-Strike is probably an easier game to get kills in than BF3. In fact, I find Counter-Strike way easier to play in general. In Counter-Strike you should always have a general idea of where the enemy is. In BF3, half the time you die - it'll be from a situation where you couldn't have properly reacted.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 biggest_loser

If you don't enjoy CS - don't play it. The game should always be fun (unless you're the type of person who needs gratification). If you don't find it fun to start, I doubt you'll find it fun at any point. And for me Counter-Strike is probably an easier game to get kills in than BF3. In fact, I find Counter-Strike way easier to play in general. In Counter-Strike you should always have a general idea of where the enemy is. In BF3, half the time you die - it'll be from a situation where you couldn't have properly reacted.

KHAndAnime

I enjoy the challenge sometimes boyo but I just don't want to have spend that long (100 hrs say) to become "good" at it.

Opinions are like **** holes - everyone's got one.

But you really think the gunplay is harder in BF3 than CS? Really?

I'll admit I'm pretty casual these days but BF3 is pick up and play compared to CS, which requires absolute precision timing. And I'm not the best FPS player. Anything other than a headshot in CS is almost fatal. Many would argue that CS is the toughest of all MP games.

You might have a good idea of where the enemy is but the reaction of some of those players is extraordinary. BF3 gives you multiple chances too.

Then again you have been playing CS a lot longer than BF so I don't know if its fair to compare them in your case.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

biggest_loser

I enjoy the challenge sometimes boyo but I just don't want to have spend that long (100 hrs say) to become "good" at it.

I'll admit I'm pretty casual these days but BF3 is pick up and play compared to CS, which requires absolute precision timing. And I'm not the best FPS player. Anything other than a headshot in CS is almost fatal. Many would argue that CS is the toughest of all MP games.

You might have a good idea of where the enemy is but the reaction of some of those players is extraordinary. BF3 gives you multiple chances too.

Then again you have been playing CS a lot longer than BF so I don't know if its fair to compare them in your case.

Back in the day ( lol I'm only 20 :P) I used to play CS: Source all the dayum time. I was pretty good at it too. Then I got sidetracked by life and didn't revisit it until last month(must have been 5-6 years?), a played a little this month. And I will agree to some extent that BF3 can be more difficult than CS:S in some aspects:

1) When I die in CS:S, it feels pretty legit. The other guy genuinely got the better of me and I better tweak my reflexes to get him back. I almost NEVER die from an out of sight opponent, it's almost always 1 v 1. In BF3, half the time (or hell more than half) I get shot at from directions in which I have no idea where it's coming from due to the suppressor or flash suppressor attachments, resulting in countless deaths that I really couldn't have avoided, besides camping.

2) Sort of point number 1 as well, with so many attachments etc. higher level players are going to always have an advantage over lower level players. I can't stress enough the lameness of going against a team of 12 all equipped with suppressors. It's mayhem. NinjastyIe. In CS:S both sides have the same guns (besides like AK and M4)and are armed only with their reflexes. I actually found CS:S to be easier to get into because of this.(I.e I'm not outgunned, I'm just outcIassed.)

There are more points I could dive into.. but I really don't feel like it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

biggest_loser

The action in BF3 is more spontaneous. I have absolutely no problem killing an enemy when I see one, but they problem is that they always see me first. In Counter-Strike I usually never have that problem. That's what has always made Counter-Strike so enjoyable for me. But even these days I'd rather play BF3, but only because I've already invested thousands of hours in CS :P. The game has definitely carved its own niche.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nameless12345

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

No offense to Valve but they need a marketing team if they want their games to be big. Though all their success comes from loyalty to pc base with sales and free updates ex. tf2. I think if they invest some good dough into advertising the game than CS will once again be big, b.c I know those hardcore fanatics will come crawling back out if enough newcomers to be killed the l337, n3wbz!!

HaloinventedFPS

PC games never sell due to "who has the larger marketing budget" thats consoles, since most console gamers are not real gamers, they buy what the TV tells them to

Console gamers aren't "real" gamers? The stuff I read on here :?

Also, PC games don't sell as good as they could because of pirates ;)

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

I think CS:GO will jumpstart a lot of people back onto that franchise, not to mention new people to it as well.

I do not know if it will be the big hit to replace CS:S, but I don't see any REAL reason why it shouldn't.

CS:GO is what I am waiting on to get into it, I played CS on the Xbox long time ago, I enjoyed it, I heard pc version is miles better! So I am waiting On GO.

Secondly most Console gamers are real gamers, enough with the idiotic comments!

Third, Console games sale for more, and in the retail market, completely destroy pc sales... If Digital Downloads were incorporated into those figures, I think people would be really surprised how many pc games are SOLD. But no "piracy" is too blame :roll:

Meanwhile we have the Rise of the Indie Developer just starting now... and 90% of why that is, is because of Digital Distribution. "but but but piracy."

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I don't think so. There isn't really no reason for people that have invested years getting better at the game to stop playing.

I personally think the game is fun, as long as there are no AWPs involved (however CS without everybody jumping into the sniping wagon, isn't CS).

It pisses me though that you can do the quick weapon change with the AWP without reloading the chamber, while you have to do it with the shotgun.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CaptainAhab13

Currently at 62,000, above CSS with 47,000, both below MW3 with 74,000. But I blame that on MW3 being a very new game.

Well, I downloaded it and tried it.

Let's just say my KDR at the end of the last match of the evening was .5, and I felt ecstatic. :lol:

Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I don't post on forums that are for car enthusiasts. Do you know why? Because I don't know anything about cars.

Get my drift?

boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts

I dont think CS will be replaced. Its so hardcore, it relies purely on the actual player's skill. While some current gen FPS games also require skill, they also rely on perks and bonuses.