Will AMD finally catch up with Intel with BD cpu's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

So the last few years we have seen Intel come up with all the aces they could and AMD always hopelessly lagging.I was particularly disappointed with their 1st gen phenoms (God those chips were paranoia-inducers ) and with the i7's ,i5's and i3's Intel totally became the ruler.So anyone expecting a table turner from AMD?

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Well, you must remember AMD was stuck technology wise due to intel locking them out on alot of tech illegally (lawsuit proved intel was in the wrong).. The Intel i3-i7 version 1 and 2.0 were able to pop up on the scene since then and be so successful because of alot of the drama and legal battling. AMD will finally be able to get a chip technology wise on the same level as intel with their new chip CPU's. We will finally see if AMd will be back on the same level. They did well in the duel core and early gen quad cores fighting bumper to bumper to intel so no reason they won't now.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Yes, and so will the Enhanced Bulldozer.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

well amd's fortunes are slowly turning around. They made a profit this quarter compared to losses the past few, anyways their fusion based cpus are doing very well, and soon they will release their llano apu as well. Looks like things are looking up for them. If bulldozer does as well as expected AMD can be a viable competitor to intel in the market. Hopefully this time intel won't be allowed to do its illegal tactics before hand and not after everything is said and done. Its not only harmful to AMD, but harmful to all consumers.

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

I hope so, I just sold my Thuban setup, and I'm running on this Core 2 Duo setup till bulldozer comes out.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Isn't BD running on AM3+? Or is there a new socket coming along and some of the chips are just AM3+ compatible.

theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 theshadowhunter

Isn't BD running on AM3+? Or is there a new socket coming along and some of the chips are just AM3+ compatible.

Espada12

AM3+ is the new socket. Im waiting for the 990FX chipset with the AM3+ socket.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

theshadowhunter

Well, I meant if they are bringing out a whole socket with the lineup. AM3+ is already on the market without BD.

theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theshadowhunter

[QUOTE="theshadowhunter"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

Well, I meant if they are bringing out a whole socket with the lineup. AM3+ is already on the market without BD.

its only in existence because everyone is anticipating BD. AM3+ is the socket for BD, there is no other reasoning behind the socket. the 9xx series motherboards will be the full featured AM3+ motherboards while the 8xx series AM3+ motherboards wont have all the features that the 9xx series does. we probably wont see 9xx series motherboards till the release of BD.

btw to the OP: in the Athlon 64 days, AMD was on top, and was on top for Years, I do believe they can do it again if they want, I never thought I get an intel system, but when the core 2 duo's came out I couldnt resist. I believe AMD might again have a winner with BD. they have been making a lot of money in the GPU sector and they have a huge new lineup in the CPU department this year.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
BD is designed primarily for servers so i'm guessing it won't be that great to start with so maybe like other suggest the enhanced BD chips or ones designed for desktops will equal or improve upon Intels effort, bulldozer has been in development for years so lets hope their time and effort pays off. Maybe this will boost the chip development even further when Intel try to best BD.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I am very doubtful.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts
I hope that they do for the sake of competition.
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 theshadowhunter
BD is designed primarily for servers so i'm guessing it won't be that great to start with so maybe like other suggest the enhanced BD chips or ones designed for desktops will equal or improve upon Intels effort, bulldozer has been in development for years so lets hope their time and effort pays off. Maybe this will boost the chip development even further when Intel try to best BD.JohnF111
where did you hear that? source?
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

May the winner take my money this summer. 8)

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mitu123

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]BD is designed primarily for servers so i'm guessing it won't be that great to start with so maybe like other suggest the enhanced BD chips or ones designed for desktops will equal or improve upon Intels effort, bulldozer has been in development for years so lets hope their time and effort pays off. Maybe this will boost the chip development even further when Intel try to best BD.theshadowhunter

http://www.overclockers.com/amd-confirms-support-bulldozer-am3/

First, a little nomenclature clarification. There are several code words surrounding Bulldozer, and it's always good to clear up what everything actually means.

• Bulldozeris the architecture that the desktop and server CPUs will be based upon.
  • Zambeziis the consumer-level high end desktop CPU that will use the Bulldozer architecture.
  • Scorpius, which you hear bandied about less frequently, is AMD's codename for the platform as a whole, including the coming 990FX chipset plus the Bulldozer CPU.
  • FX Series. This is a complete rumor that AMD would neither confirm nor deny. There was somesupposedly leaked box art that brands the new Bulldozer CPUs as "FX", bringing back memories of the days when AMD ruled the roost. While the concept may be cool, we just don't know if it's accurate and AMD isn't saying. Their stance is that they have not publicly released the branding for Zambezi CPUs.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

I'm still running my e8500 overclocked until BD hits the scene. I was a major AMD supported back in the Athlon days. I would like to see them do well again.

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

My last Intel chip was 400MHz Celeron. AMD has been great for a budget builder as myself. I hope it does very well. It's a win-win for consumers. Good AMD chip and most likely lower prices from Intel to compete.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

Actually AMD has always catered for gaming CPU's that had great P/P ratio and never heavy on the pocket but perpetually lagged in tech since the Core 2's later i7's blazed the market.And I read somewhere a new AMD BD CPU/990FX upgrade will cost between $350-400.If that's the case and we get CPU's which may be say 10% better than 2500/2600's( I love these new Intels BTW),my upgrade money is ready. I sincerely hope AMD don't end up churning out half-baked CPU's like Phenom I's, which turned out to be slower than the X2 6400 back in 2008.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#20 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="theshadowhunter"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]BD is designed primarily for servers so i'm guessing it won't be that great to start with so maybe like other suggest the enhanced BD chips or ones designed for desktops will equal or improve upon Intels effort, bulldozer has been in development for years so lets hope their time and effort pays off. Maybe this will boost the chip development even further when Intel try to best BD.mitu123

First, a little nomenclature clarification. There are several code words surrounding Bulldozer, and it's always good to clear up what everything actually means.

• Bulldozeris the architecture that the desktop and server CPUs will be based upon.
  • Zambeziis the consumer-level high end desktop CPU that will use the Bulldozer architecture.
  • Scorpius, which you hear bandied about less frequently, is AMD's codename for the platform as a whole, including the coming 990FX chipset plus the Bulldozer CPU.
  • FX Series. This is a complete rumor that AMD would neither confirm nor deny. There was somesupposedly leaked box art that brands the new Bulldozer CPUs as "FX", bringing back memories of the days when AMD ruled the roost. While the concept may be cool, we just don't know if it's accurate and AMD isn't saying. Their stance is that they have not publicly released the branding for Zambezi CPUs.

That doesn't answer his question at all.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="theshadowhunter"] where did you hear that? source?GummiRaccoon

Bulldozer is designed for servers like he said, while Zambezi is a high end cpu that's an improved Bulldozer, I think it's the Enhanced Bulldozer they call it unless I'm wrong.

theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theshadowhunter

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]http://www.overclockers.com/amd-confirms-support-bulldozer-am3/

mitu123

Bulldozer is designed for servers like he said, while Zambezi is a high end cpu that's an improved Bulldozer, I think it's the Enhanced Bulldozer they call it unless I'm wrong.

bulldozer was designed for servers and desktops. not servers then for desktops. and Zambezi is just the code name of the desktop variant.