Why No Madden/NCAA Football for PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

While I realize Madden/NCAA can get derivative with it being an annual release, but the lack of football (american) games on the PC is the only reason I keep my 360 hooked up. Anyone know why EA hasn't released Madden for the PC since 08? They keep releasing FIFA but no love for Madden/NCAA? :(

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Because of money

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

While I realize Madden/NCAA can get derivative with it being an annual release, but the lack of football (american) games on the PC is the only reason I keep my 360 hooked up. Anyone know why EA hasn't released Madden for the PC since 08? They keep releasing FIFA but no love for Madden/NCAA? :(

Cwagmire21
Simple answer. Demand. Madden's sales (before it was pulled from PC) was declining on PC. FIFA sells millions on PCs and Consoles. Remember, mostly people from the US are only interested in American Football, and in that group you have 3 platforms. FIFA is played by nearly every country on the planet, so selling to 3 platforms is a lot more accessible.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Yeah, it's only a big demand game in the US, and the console manufacturers have conditioned gamers interested in it to seek the game out on the consoles. American football isn't very popular elsewhere so even though Europe and Asia are big PC gaming territories, no one there would buy Madden.

I do think they SHOULD still release madden on PC. Make it a purely digitla release and watch money roll in. I know I'd buy it. And porting from the Xbox version is somehting a third party studio can do on the cheap, easily, and still manage to do a decent job with it. Not only that, but you never know, maybe you'll discover that Russians like American Football and now you have an entirely new market you didn't have before.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

Yeah, it's only a big demand game in the US, and the console manufacturers have conditioned gamers interested in it to seek the game out on the consoles. American football isn't very popular elsewhere so even though Europe and Asia are big PC gaming territories, no one there would buy Madden.

I do think they SHOULD still release madden on PC. Make it a purely digitla release and watch money roll in. I know I'd buy it. And porting from the Xbox version is somehting a third party studio can do on the cheap, easily, and still manage to do a decent job with it. Not only that, but you never know, maybe you'll discover that Russians like American Football and now you have an entirely new market you didn't have before.

Kinthalis

I agree, but of course it all comes down to how much it costs to produce on PC against how much it will sell, and obviously the first number is bigger hence no Madden on PC.

Like you say, it all depends on market. PC gamers complained year after year about FIFA and now we are getting awesome versions (FIFA12 and FIFA13)

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

There is a demand for it, with a straight port costing like 200-400k, i think it would be easy to make money. 40 dollars a pop you double your money on 20k sales

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

There is a demand for it, with a straight port costing like 200-400k, i think it would be easy to make money. 40 dollars a pop you double your money on 20k sales

James161324
Maybe, but you are just roughly guessing numbers. There is a decision there to not make it on PC cause it's not worth it, by the guys in charge of the budget. Remember that making the game is not the only thing, you need licensing, marketing, publishing, distributing etc. Even if, like you say, sell 20k, it might not be even enough to make ends meet. FIFA Licensing for example costs EA millions....
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

James161324

No, not even close, how did you even think that?

You have to pay more for licensing because now it's on another platform then you have to have tech support for that platform because you know there's going to be trouble.

It's just not worth it for so little demand.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="James161324"]

Jaysonguy

No, not even close, how did you even think that?

You have to pay more for licensing because now it's on another platform then you have to have tech support for that platform because you know there's going to be trouble.

It's just not worth it for so little demand.

They release it on some many platforms including Mobile. i highly doubt it would cost that much for licensee to do it for pc, depending how its written they may not have to pay more. And ea will not spend more on tech support, its ea for christ sake, you can put up with there crappy help center in India or where ever it is.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

I would get it. Sorta sad it isn't. Gotta get xbox live and it when I do decide to buy it.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Supply and demand dude, not a lot of people want it for PC, so its not worth the trouble to them. YOU might want it on PC, but YOU do not represent millions of gamers in their fanbase that buy it exclusively on consoles.

It would be nice, but the sales they achieve may not be worth the effort to them. Plus those types of games seem more built for couch gaming with friends, so it would be awkward translating that experience to a bunch of friends huddled around a monitor, or the even smaller group of PC gamers that play on an HDTV in their living room in a costly set up.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
Because madden 08 was modded out the ass aka roster updates ect and EA got mad. Just look at the forums EA took down the new Madden 13 mod for 08 on pc.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Game doesn't sell because nobody outside NA cares about it and the people interested in America are console gamers.

...darned necros.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Sigh. Once again, we have a new user necroing a thread to advertise a facebook page.

Also this.

Because madden 08 was modded out the ass aka roster updates ect and EA got mad. Just look at the forums EA took down the new Madden 13 mod for 08 on pc. Travis_Odell

THAT is why EA won't put Madden back on PC. Because they know that if they release one more madden game for PC, no one will buy another for the next 5 or 6 years, since modders will be able to make all the changes that will go into the next game, even without a proper SDK.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#16 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Because EA is a piece of @#$%.

But you know what? I am cool with EA not releasing their $60 roster/schedule update year after year and calling it a new game. What I DO take issue with is their monopoly on these games. In short.....$%^& EA.