Why is Torchlight 2 better than Diablo 3?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

The game had a lower budget and everything yet I am having much more fun playing it than Diablo 3, maybe it's just me?

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#2 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

I always thought Torchlight was kind of a rip-off of Diablo.

I like your signature btw.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#3 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It's not better at all, the game is a carbon copy of it.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zaku101

I always thought Torchlight was kind of a rip-off of Diablo.

I like your signature btw.

AjaxNeron

Well it can't be a rip off since it was actually made by the developers that made the original Diablo can it?

So in theory Diablo 3 is a rip off of Torchlight 2 :P?

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
I like Torchlight 2 better because the combat system is more fluid and intense. I like the art style more, and the randomized dungeons are done very well. The classes are interesting and unique. The game captures the vision of the original creators of Diablo because it is developed by the original creators of Diablo. It's a Diablo clone, but since it's made by the people who made Diablo 1 and 2, it's more of a spiritual successor. Torchlight 2 is just more fun. Yeah Diablo 3 has a better story in terms of cinematics, but this is a hack and slash game, not a story-driven action RPG. It's all about loot, loot and more loot and Torchlight 2 has plenty of that. And Torchlight 2 is completely modable, which I think is a major advantage against Diablo 3. I think we will see some pretty cool mods if Torchlight 1 is any indication. TLR: It's not just you.

SovietsUnited
What? Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 are completely different. The only similarity is the genre. They have different art styles, classes, skill systems, level up systems, creatures, bosses, stories, dungeons. Diablo 3 is 60 dollars, Torchlight 2 is a 20 dollar budget game. They are basically two different designs. To say Torchlight 2 is a carbon copy of Diablo 3 is like saying Saint's Row 3 is a carbon copy of GTA4.
AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#6 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Sorry, I didn't mean to say rip-off. I mean to say clone.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

SovietsUnited
No. The ability to Lan, offline single player, deep talent tree system, 6 player online, multiple random end levels you can buy with ingame gold, ability to enchant all items, bosses, level cap. It's nothing like Diablo 3, and I'm glad.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zaku101

So xfire posted this on facebook :P

229262_10151156575859717_1993408236_n.jp

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

zaku101

BEHBO :lol:

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

Own both games, Torchlight 2 is a way better then Diablo 3.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

I'm liking Torchlight 2 a lot more than Diablo 3 because of actual customization, more fluid combat than both TL1 and D3 as well as the fact that you could play your game when the online service was sh*tting itself in the opening hours (which it did.)

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24200 Posts

Because Torchlight 2 is a labor of love.

Diablo 3 suffered from too many bad design choices.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Because Torchlight 2 is a labor of love.

Diablo 3 suffered from too many bad design choices.

Maroxad
Bingo. The TL2 dev team actually cared about what they were doing.
BygByron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BygByron3
Member since 2003 • 5572 Posts

I enjoyed my first playthrough of Torchlight 2 just as much if not more than my first playthrough of Diablo 3 but I believe Diablo 3 will stand thetest of time better than Torchlight 2 and I thought Diablo 3 was more memorable than Torchlight 2.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zaku101

I enjoyed my first playthrough of Torchlight 2 just as much if not more than my first playthrough of Diablo 3 but I believe Diablo 3 will stand thetest of time better than Torchlight 2 and I thought Diablo 3 was more memorable than Torchlight 2.

BygByron3

Yeah maybe as an ebay market other than that no...

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#16 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I feel the differences people are making are over-exaggerated. They arent on opposite ends of "Diablo 3 is teribble!" / "TL2 is fantastic and what D3 should have been" that the interwebz have stirred up. So far, the experiences are almost on par with things that give each game their own flavour. I'd say the most impressive thing that I can give a nod to is how well TL2 is delivering considering that it cost me less than 1/3 of the price that I purchased D3.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I'm curious about Torchlight 2 endgame. The reason I and many others were put off by Diablo 3 was the lack of real worthwile endgame. Does Torchlight 2 perform better in that regard?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24200 Posts

I feel the differences people are making are over-exaggerated. They arent on opposite ends of "Diablo 3 is teribble!" / "TL2 is fantastic and what D3 should have been" that the interwebz have stirred up. So far, the experiences are almost on par with things that give each game their own flavour. I'd say the most impressive thing that I can give a nod to is how well TL2 is delivering considering that it cost me less than 1/3 of the price that I purchased D3.

illmatic87

Indeed, it isnt all black and white.

Diablo 3, while plagued with poor design choices, has higher production values than Torchlight 2 and the combat in D3 for most of the part, feels better.

Of course, I only played the TL2 demo. But that doesnt change the fact that so far, I prefer TL2.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

I am saying no, its not.

But I only put around 3-4 hours into TL2 so far. I have over 600 into D3.

While ambituous, TL2 is not on the same level as D3. It kinda feels like a cheap clone, no offense to fans.

It would really take me alot longer with TL2 to reach a proper conclusion, especially since I love D3 so much.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Umm its not.... I turned it off after 30mins since the gameplay and graphics are worse. (No reason to play to find out endgame content, D3 is still doing it for me)

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I think people are liking it more because of all the loot it gives you.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#22 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

It's not even close. D3 is so much better. TL2 seems so boring. I ended up liking the runes in D3 so I can switch back and forth at will.

Also, saying TL2 and D3 are not similar is absolutely asinine. Even the details are uncanny alike. I don't care if TL2 was made by previous employees or not.

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

TL2 is better than D3 because I am not forced to go to no stupid AH to get good gear. TL2 I get awesome USEABLE loot through questing which is how it should be. TL2 also has way more customization. It feels more RPG than D3. The only thing that killed D3 for me was the lack of useable loot dropping. If D3 had the same kind of drops I'm getting in TL2, I would still be playing it.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

I'll sum it up in one sentence: I equipped my engineer with a bad ass axe and a vampiric pistol, so he can shoot enemies until they get up close and then he can destroy them with the axe.

punk2kgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 punk2kgamer
Member since 2011 • 52 Posts

It's not even close. D3 is so much better. TL2 seems so boring. I ended up liking the runes in D3 so I can switch back and forth at will.

Also, saying TL2 and D3 are not similar is absolutely asinine. Even the details are uncanny alike. I don't care if TL2 was made by previous employees or not.

lild1425

Have you even played the game ? Its not boring at all.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I haven't had a chance to buy TL2 yet but D3 in its current state in disappointing IMO. However, from what I've read about TL2, I'm not sure if I'd like it much more either for reasons some people love it. I equate TL2 to D2 Open Realm for those who played D2. Granted, the base game could be great, but there's no sense of progress since you can just mod/hack your way to great gear. While D3 hasn't achieved it well, I like the sense of the overall metagame in that there is a greater open market for items and the limited cheating/hacking compared to a game TL2 where modding/hacking is encouraged.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xLittlekillx

I haven't had a chance to buy TL2 yet but D3 in its current state in disappointing IMO. However, from what I've read about TL2, I'm not sure if I'd like it much more either for reasons some people love it. I equate TL2 to D2 Open Realm for those who played D2. Granted, the base game could be great, but there's no sense of progress since you can just mod/hack your way to great gear. While D3 hasn't achieved it well, I like the sense of the overall metagame in that there is a greater open market for items and the limited cheating/hacking compared to a game TL2 where modding/hacking is encouraged.

Cwagmire21

But it's a single player game with coop. Why are you worried about people modding or hacking it?

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

It most definitely is NOT, I've only recently played both games and I find that the production value and feel of diablo 3 simply blows torchlight 2 out of the water, not to say torchlight 2 is a bad game, it's really fun but anyone who says TL2 is better than D3 is simply enjoying the novelty of TL2 being their new shiny toy.

Although I can see TL2 easily selling for 40$...game feels much better than 20$.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zaku101

Cwagmire21

I think putting in an ebay market in the game is a lot worse than modding/hacking. That's like paying the abusers to abuse the game. Torchlight is pretty much made to be played with friends if you want to abuse it go ahead doesn't bug me cuz I'll probably never see you while playing it.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zaku101

Just so you guys know torchlight currently has a higherMetacritic score than Diablo 3 meaning it might be receiving a higher review on here.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

But it's a single player game with coop. Why are you worried about people modding or hacking it?

xLittlekillx

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

zaku101

I think putting in an ebay market in the game is a lot worse than modding/hacking. That's like paying the abusers to abuse the game. Torchlight is pretty much made to be played with friends if you want to abuse it go ahead doesn't bug me cuz I'll probably never see you while playing it.

Diablo 2 was about the metagame as well. You'd find trade games. You'd farm so you could get the necessary runes and gear to make trades and make your character better. I won't say D2 wasn't claimed by hacks and that D3 doesn't have some cheating as well, but I like that metagame better in that there is an overall economy to get better loot and improve your character rather than the isolation a moddable game has in that people will just create their loot instead. Everyone has their own preference.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xLittlekillx

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"] [QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Cwagmire21

Diablo 2 was about the metagame as well. You'd find trade games. You'd farm so you could get the necessary runes and gear to make trades and make your character better. I won't say D2 wasn't claimed by hacks and that D3 doesn't have some cheating as well, but I like that metagame better in that there is an overall economy to get better loot and improve your character rather than the isolation a moddable game has in that people will just create their loot instead. Everyone has their own preference.

Well, I don't think you should worry about it. I haven't created my own loot yet, and I don't think I ever will nor do I see a reason to. There are so many weapon drops in this game.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zaku101

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"] [QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Cwagmire21

First off Diablo 2 did have a LOT LOTz of cheaters and people making their own gear. Anyone remember the good old white armors most people wore that gave you +100000 to everything? Now with Diablo 3 we have the gold miners killing the market and I wouldn't be surprised if there were already hackers or hacked gear. Also the Ebay like market has just encouraged more gold miners and people to abuse the system, now you get paid to make hacked gear :D.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
If I wanted an in game economy I'd play an MMORPG. I dont need an economy in a dungeon crawler. You only have yourself to blame if you cant resist the temptation of modding in godly gear in TL2. Games are supposed to be fun, not a horrible grind hoping beyond hope that you will get an item you desperately need to further yourself. But like you said, everyone has their own preference of whats considered fun.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

zaku101

Love this quote lol..This is great and sums it up to me..The thing with diablo 3 for me ruined it the lack of customization there is none..Say what you want d3 is a big fail on this alone..Tl2 you have over 30 skills to do an str an dex are in this game..Diablo 3 is just a big fail sorry one mans opinion not that its a bad one mind you..If your having fun with d3

More power to you than..Games are made to be fun..If you have fun with d3 an enjoy it more so be it..Lot of us are enjoying tl2..Think for myself ill be enjoying tl2 more for years to come because im bored with d3 an will never launch it again on my rig..

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Cwagmire21

If you do that I'm pretty sure that the game puts "The Cheat" after your name.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

D3 can't even compare with TL2 because it's simply that much worse than TL2. Was a good idea to not buy D3 - now I could not only get TL2 and gift the first game to a friend but also get Borderlands 2 ... sweet deal indeed :)

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

The game had a lower budget and everything yet I am having much more fun playing it than Diablo 3, maybe it's just me?

zaku101

Easy. Because it let's you choices and freedoms in developing your character without having you feel like you missing out on something when you don't want to use real money in an auction house. And you even have to use way less real money to get it in the first place.

The people behind the game are highly experienced vets in the genre, they ARE the creators of Diablo I & II.

AND, last but not least:

Their executive producer ISN'T a short fused supernerd with no idea of how to keep a games live long that throws a "F... that loser" at an experienced vet whos the birthgiver of the product he's now looting his RL cash from and tries to show you what you have made wrong in an actual intelligent and polite public way who feels sorry afterwards because he got caught, but not for the insult itself :D :cool:

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

Justforvisit

Easy. Because it let's you choices and freedoms in developing your character without having you feel like you missing out on something when you don't want to use real money in an auction house. And you even have to use way less real money to get it in the first place.

The people behind the game are highly experienced vets in the genre, they ARE the creators of Diablo I & II.

AND, last but not least:

Their executive producer ISN'T a short fused supernerd with no idea of how to keep a games live long that throws a "F... that loser" at an experienced vet whos the birthgiver of the product he's now looting his RL cash from and tries to show you what you have made wrong in an actual intelligent and polite public way who feels sorry afterwards because he got caught, but not for the insult itself :D :cool:

So basically you think TL2 is better due to made-up, illogical, and irrelevant reasons?

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

XaosII

AND, last but not least:

So basically you think TL2 is better due to made-up, illogical, and irrelevant reasons?

Actually, the last line was intended as sarcasm. And this is the last line. Ow... :P

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
5 mins into Touchlight 2 i understood the game was the closest thing to a new Diablo game i'd ever get. What i've played so far is fun. Much better than Diablo 3. If only Runic had the rights to the Diablo series.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I'm about to try out the demo. We'll see how good it is :P
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

Diablo 3 has the potential to be great (the loot and overall rewards just isnt worth the time), since right now it just feels like im grinding for gold to hopefully be able to afford an upgrade in the GAH.

Blizzard also continues to nerf any fun build in the game, so that is basically killing the game for most people.

While Torchlight 2 isnt as impressive as D3 from a technical point of view, there is something about the game that is charming and rewarding.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#44 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Better skill system, mods are supported, no online ALWAYS aspect and better loot system for TL2, but it also has worse story, cut scenes, art design and atmosphere than D3.

It really comes down to preference, both do somethings better than the other.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Better skill system, mods are supported, no online ALWAYS aspect and better loot system for TL2, but it also has worse story, cut scenes, art design and atmosphere than D3.

kozzy1234

I actually like torchlight 2's art design more.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zaku101

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

topgunmv

I actually like torchlight 2's art design more.

I never understood that people actually played these kinds of games for their story. The Storys in the games are about as simple as, one big bad guy, you have to kill him. They aren't setup as normal RPGs.

A 12 year old could understand the whole story/plot in Diablo in a few seconds, there isn't even any characterdevelopment. Now try explaing a game with an actually story to him is a whole different world.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

kozzy1234
I don't think it's possible for any game to have a worse story than Diablo 3. The entire game could be that the bad guy stole $1 from you and you want it back and it would be better than Diablo 3's story.
mAArdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mAArdman
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts

Only played the Torchlight 2 demo, but from what I can tell the game feels more like Diablo than Diablo 3 actually did.
The soundtrack, which was created by the same guy who did the one for Diablo 1 and 2, has that same distinct atmosphere to it. For me the music played a great role in Diablo's atmosphere so that might be why I feel that way.
It just feels like it was made by people who had better ideas of what fans of the genre wanted. It also helps that there is an actual single player/LAN/online mode instead of that "always online" Blizzard imposed on everyone.
Production values are obviously not as great, but the core design and gameplay are as good, if not better.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I actually skipped Diablo 3 in favor of Torchlight 2. Seems like I made a good decision after hearing all the BS coming from D3

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

Production values are obviously not as great, but the core design and gameplay are as good, if not better.

mAArdman
Hopefully mods can make up for whatever polish TL2 lacks.