Why is E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy so darn addictive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

Even with its current glitches, there is something about this game that keeps pulling me back. Everything is just so keenly thought out in this game. I swore I'd stop playing SP till a patch comes but that was 2 levels ago, lol.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

I love the game too. Hope a patch comes soon as I've crashed twice already. :cry:

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Honestly I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the stats and metrics in the game and very confused by what's going on in the plot. Coming to terms with it gradually though, but it's very impressive how much freedom the game delivers.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

It is the most ambitious game in years and is amazing in everything that it tries to do. The 'flaws' of it being difficult to learn are people not wanting to take the time to learn or just refuse to look through all the menus which are really nicely laid out imo. My biggest complaint is the shoddy translation.

Honestly I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the stats and metrics in the game and very confused by what's going on in the plot. Coming to terms with it gradually though, but it's very impressive how much freedom the game delivers. skrat_01

The plot is actually meant to keep you guessing and force multiple playthrough so you can piece it all together. The Witcher 2 does the same thing (the leader of the rebel resistance has a huge secret about her that you wouldn't know if you went Roche's path for example) and I love it. More games need this type of storytelling and we are gradually seeing them move towards it.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

There's such a wealth of options for character development that it's just so engrossing. By level 50 I really felt very powerful (especially with level 9 cybernetic legs :D)

The Witcher 2 does the same thing (the leader of the rebel resistance has a huge secret about her that you wouldn't know if you went Roche's path for example)

Whiteblade999

My friends spoiled this for me because they assumed I went with Iorveth. I was not a happy camper. It was after I beat the game, but before my second playthrough :x

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

I'm really not liking the radial menu. It is just plain hard to use. I also find myself pressing ESC a lot to close out of menus but that just takes me to the game menu. I also dont like the toggle aim down sights.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I think its going to be like vampire: the masquerade: bloodlines, buggy as hell on release but awsome and one of the best hybrid games once patched/community patched.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#8 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I'm really not liking the radial menu. It is just plain hard to use. I also find myself pressing ESC a lot to close out of menus but that just takes me to the game menu. I also dont like the toggle aim down sights.

MacBoomStick
Exactly the first things I noticed and I just gave it a short whirl. That and the tutorial menu itself is pretty darn overwhelming. Will probably dive in after a few patches or so as i've heard that there are quite afew quibbles.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Lach0121  Online
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

My Gf and I are waiting for this game to go down in price just a little. Also give it time to get the usual patches.

We are gonna get 2 copies so we can LAN co-op this little gem... I love Cyber/Steam/Fantasy Punk settings. I like games with heavy atmosphere, and ones I can enjoy with my loved ones. Seems this games has a bit of all the aboved mentioned.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

My Gf and I are waiting for this game to go down in price just a little. Also give it time to get the usual patches.

We are gonna get 2 copies so we can LAN co-op this little gem... I love Cyber/Steam/Fantasy Punk settings. I like games with heavy atmosphere, and ones I can enjoy with my loved ones. Seems this games has a bit of all the aboved mentioned.

Lach0121
The patches I can understand waiting for. But a price drop? $20 is a steal for this game. I would have gladly paid $40+ for it.
hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

I'm loving it. I was a bit annoyed because I put all my points in hacking and I found it to be a pointless skill, but damn is it useful now. It's amazing how intense looking at numbers fluctuating can be, I think it's entirely due to the fact the player can die if they lose the minigame. Other games lack real consequence like that. It's a pity it's being panned by critics, but I could see that coming a mile away. I can't imagine what E.Y.E 2 will be like, considering they'll have a decent budget now.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lach0121  Online
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Steameffekt

The patches I can understand waiting for. But a price drop? $20 is a steal for this game. I would have gladly paid $40+ for it.

Patches, and price drop, we have to buy 2 copies, and right now trying to get some of her School loans paid off. So we are going a little easier on the games, atm.

We have plenty to hold us over until we can either afford to spend $50 on it, or until there is a good sale on it. I didn't necessarily mean wait for the price to drop permanently.

But good to know you think it is that good, along with others, it is one that kinda flew in under the radar, seems like it would be a blast.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
What the hell is EYE???
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

I really have to try this game soon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6243ee9902175

What the hell is EYE???FelipeInside

This. Dark Messiah meets Deus Ex meets Warhammer 40,000.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

What the hell is EYE???FelipeInside

A good little game that you are missing out on if you are asking what it is bud :P

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

I'm loving it. I was a bit annoyed because I put all my points in hacking and I found it to be a pointless skill, but damn is it useful now. It's amazing how intense looking at numbers fluctuating can be, I think it's entirely due to the fact the player can die if they lose the minigame. Other games lack real consequence like that. It's a pity it's being panned by critics, but I could see that coming a mile away. I can't imagine what E.Y.E 2 will be like, considering they'll have a decent budget now.

hypoty
How is hacking useless? :? I abuse the heck out of it whenever i can.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

This. Dark Messiah meets Deus Ex meets Warhammer 40,000.

Whiteblade999

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]What the hell is EYE???kozzy1234

A good little game that you are missing out on if you are asking what it is bud :P

Damn, I didn't like Dark Messiah... I never played Deus Ex and Warhammer was ok..... Might have to give it a go anyway. Is the Story/Plot interesting?
hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hypoty

[QUOTE="hypoty"]

Dante2710

How is hacking useless? :? I abuse the heck out of it whenever i can.

Ah, I said it wasn't useless. At the start the cost of possibly dieing due to a failed hack outweighed the positives, especially when I was failing more often than not due to a low skill level. Later on it's awesome.

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hypoty

Damn, I didn't like Dark Messiah... I never played Deus Ex and Warhammer was ok..... Might have to give it a go anyway. Is the Story/Plot interesting?FelipeInside

The story/plot is practically unintelligible. The atmosphere is awesome, though.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] [QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]What the hell is EYE???FelipeInside

Damn, I didn't like Dark Messiah... I never played Deus Ex and Warhammer was ok..... Might have to give it a go anyway. Is the Story/Plot interesting?

Its more Deus Ex in gameplay and Warhammer in style.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6243ee9902175

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

It is the Dark Messiah pick your playstyle, Deus Ex level design and character advancement and Warhammer 40,000 tone and style.

The story is actually very good but you aren't going to figure it out unless you play through multiple times. Apparently there is even a 'real' ending that they included but no one has found yet.

The main issue the story has is they decided to let someone who doesn't speak English as a first OR second language do the translation from French..

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

I didnt like Dark Messiah either, but I am enjoying EYE so far :)

Also dude you gotta pick up DEUS EX sometime, regarded by many as the best PC game of all time.

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

I have beaten the game yesterday. It helped that it also runs on my laptop, but I still thought that I enjoyed the game far more than I should have ;)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

kozzy1234

Also dude you gotta pick up DEUS EX sometime, regarded by many as the best PC game of all time.

Yeah,,,, Deus Ex has passed it's time for me... I'm hoping Human Revolution will capture some of the magic so I can experience it....
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Damn, I didn't like Dark Messiah... I never played Deus Ex and Warhammer was ok..... Might have to give it a go anyway. Is the Story/Plot interesting?FelipeInside

Yeah,,,, Deus Ex has passed it's time for me... I'm hoping Human Revolution will capture some of the magic so I can experience it....

That's weak sauce Felipe. I can already tell you that will Human Revolution will be at least very good, but it's not going to be great in the same vein as Deux Ex.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

KHAndAnime

That's weak sauce Felipe. I can already tell you that will Human Revolution will be at least very good, but it's not going to be great in the same vein as Deux Ex.

Weak Tomato Sauce? I know I know...but for some reason I have trouble going back to old games lately. Maybe it's because my gametime is limited and I want to use it with newer releases.... I'm playing LIMBO right now....awesome stuff...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6243ee9902175

Yeah,,,, Deus Ex has passed it's time for me... I'm hoping Human Revolution will capture some of the magic so I can experience it....FelipeInside

Ok I hate to call people out but this is bull. Buy the game (do we have to chip together and gift it to you during a sale?), follow the instructions on this page to make it look good and enjoy the game. There is no reason to skip the game because if you have time to play Human Revolution odds are you have time to play the original. You aren't getting off the hook until you at least try it :).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Yeah,,,, Deus Ex has passed it's time for me... I'm hoping Human Revolution will capture some of the magic so I can experience it....Whiteblade999

Ok I hate to call people out but this is bull. Buy the game (do we have to chip together and gift it to you during a sale?), follow the instructions on this page to make it look good and enjoy the game. There is no reason to skip the game because if you have time to play Human Revolution odds are you have time to play the original. You aren't getting off the hook until you at least try it :).

LOL.... GameSpot friends invading my house and strapping me to a chair and making me play it......hahahahaah I actually think I DID try Deus Ex once and didn't like it.... or maybe that was Invisible War.....
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Yeah,,,, Deus Ex has passed it's time for me... I'm hoping Human Revolution will capture some of the magic so I can experience it....Whiteblade999

There is even a new texture mod that has just been released yesterday: Deus Ex: New Vision

Looks pretty nice from what I've seen.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Yeah,,,, Deus Ex has passed it's time for me... I'm hoping Human Revolution will capture some of the magic so I can experience it....FelipeInside

LOL.... GameSpot friends invading my house and strapping me to a chair and making me play it......hahahahaah I actually think I DID try Deus Ex once and didn't like it.... or maybe that was Invisible War.....

I also played Deus Ex, I enjoyed it, but it is a game from an older time. It hasn't aged well in terms of visuals or gameplay. Its hardly the messiah that some PC gamers hype up.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

JangoWuzHere

I also played Deus Ex, I enjoyed it, but it is a game from an older time. It hasn't aged well in terms of visuals or gameplay. Its hardly the messiah that some PC gamers hype up.

Yeah....I used to be able to go back to older games without an issue... but in the last few years, there has been such a great leap in graphics and gameplay and IDEAS that going back to them is harder for me...
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] LOL.... GameSpot friends invading my house and strapping me to a chair and making me play it......hahahahaah I actually think I DID try Deus Ex once and didn't like it.... or maybe that was Invisible War.....FelipeInside

Yeah....I used to be able to go back to older games without an issue... but in the last few years, there has been such a great leap in graphics and gameplay and IDEAS that going back to them is harder for me...

The only games that feel truly timeless to me would be games like Planescape Torment or Baulders Gate 2. Dungeons and Dragons is a game that will never get old if you enjoy roleplaying. Also the 2D artstyle is still gorgeous even by today standards.

A game like Deus Ex is just old. The shooting is old, the stealth is old, the graphics and presentation are old etc. It just felt like an old game when I played it. I feel like when people look upon Deus Ex, they are looking at it with great nostalgia.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"] I also played Deus Ex, I enjoyed it, but it is a game from an older time. It hasn't aged well in terms of visuals or gameplay. Its hardly the messiah that some PC gamers hype up.

JangoWuzHere

The only games that feel truly timeless to me would be games like Planescape Torment or Baulders Gate 2. Dungeons and Dragons is a game that will never get old if you enjoy roleplaying. Also the 2D artstyle is still gorgeous even by today standards.

A game like Deus Ex is just old. The shooting is old, the stealth is old, the graphics and presentation are old etc. It just felt like an old game when I played it. I feel like when people look upon Deus Ex, they are looking at it with great nostalgia.

I often prefer the way they used to do it, the way they do it now is often just streamlined way too much. Theres a reason why people still play games like counter-strike, those new ideas are for the birds since half-life 2 came out.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Yeah....I used to be able to go back to older games without an issue... but in the last few years, there has been such a great leap in graphics and gameplay and IDEAS that going back to them is harder for me...TerrorRizzing

I often prefer the way they used to do it, the way they do it now is often just streamlined way too much. Theres a reason why people still play games like counter-strike, those new ideas are for the birds since half-life 2 came out.

I agree and disagree. Some "streamlined" new things are good...cause they take away the tedious stuff so you can concentrate on the fun...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6243ee9902175

I agree and disagree. Some "streamlined" new things are good...cause they take away the tedious stuff so you can concentrate on the fun...FelipeInside

Gonna have to go with you on this.

I think Oblivion is the better game over Morrowind because it streamlined all of the problems. I know a bunch of fanboys are gonna jump on me for saying that because I get it everytime I bring up the point. Morrowind had broken combat, a certain enemy forcing combat every 20 steps, a story that tried to be mysterious and ended up making less sense then EYEs story, and the directions were often inaccurate which led to searching areas for hours. Oblivion wasn't the best game until you modded it but at least the combat worked and the directions were specific.

On the other hand there are times when less streamlining is good. Baldur's Gate 2 has everything a good RPG should. Great combat, a great sense of pace, great story, great villian, great banter, great world and a ruleset that allows for really great customization.

Then you look at the abomination that is Dragon Age: Origins. The combat is probably the strongest point of the game, the deep roads and other areas are very poorly paced, the story is lame, the villian is a dragon who doesn't say a word, banter works but nowhere near Minsc & Boo, poor world and a very basic ruleset that shoehorned you into DPS/Tank/Healer.

JangoWuzHere

I actually agree with you here 100%. The game is like Ultima 7, it is one of the best done games at the time. It is a sort of a piece of history that a lot of PC gamers feel everyone should play. I make a habit out of pushing my other PC gaming friends to play it, I don't care if they like it or not but most of the time they understand the importance of the game and what it did to the medium which is all I want. Respecting the elders type thing.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Steameffekt

Well, $20 isn't something people want to drop to "try" a game. Sure, you are happy with your purchase but it's not like everyone will love this game.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I agree and disagree. Some "streamlined" new things are good...cause they take away the tedious stuff so you can concentrate on the fun...FelipeInside

Yes, but the trouble is: one person's "tedious stuff" is another person's fun.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I agree and disagree. Some "streamlined" new things are good...cause they take away the tedious stuff so you can concentrate on the fun...-wildflower-

Yes, but the trouble is: one person's "tedious stuff" is another person's fun.

Yeah maybe I guess... The "tedious" stuff I was talking about was more about little technical things. For example an RPG where you have to highlight an item, then click pick-up...then it picks up the item... instead of just click and pick up...
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Ahh, I see. I thought you were talking more about things like stats, learning curves, inventory management, death having a bit of a sting, lack of regenerating mana/health, etc...you know, the stuff that usually gets streamlined (in RPGs) so grandma can play, too.

nbessiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nbessiner
Member since 2009 • 731 Posts

I just got this game and am now at level 2. It is pretty much what I expected and I'm very pleased with it

DasBeerBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DasBeerBoot
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts

Is the gameplay similar to the trailers? Idk, seems a bit complicated to me : (

VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

Is the gameplay similar to the trailers? Idk, seems a bit complicated to me : (

DasBeerBoot

That why we like it so much, its not dumbed down crap like we've gotten for the last 10 years. Takes thought, reading and planning to play this game.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kozzy1234

If anyone wants to do some coop sometime let me know :)