Why is Civ 4 (and expansions) so hard?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
I just cant find any games...I mean its fun to play but I always lose in one way or another. Ive read a bunch of guides online but I just cant get "good" at the game. I play on the third difficulty setting (out of like 10) but I still always lose. Whats da deal?
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
I've never had an issue with the difficulty. Yes, some games I find myself getting hammered but I can always find a way to thrive. Best word of advice, keep your science up and research technologies ahead of the AI.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I played several RTS games that I'd get destroyed in. It's all a fact about how quick you can think, and also you have to look at the entire field of play. And you've got to determine what would be the best way to win. And sometimes it can get very difficult you just have to try again and remember the enemies moves and counter them.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Civ 4 has definitely gotten more difficult with the expansions, but still doable. It's not just about keeping yourself technologically ahead of your opponents, but getting yourself the right ones from the beginning. It all depends on how you want to build your empire and adjusting yourself to your surroundings. Do you have mountains nearby? Try to look for copper/iron. Do you have a lot of open fields? Perhaps there are horses amongst them.

Personally I like to grow my cities up quick and keep them along the coast. In some games there is a lost continent which can always give you a means to survival when things are looking grim. Also try to keep as many friends as possible by trading frequently with everyone and try to use a religion which is most widely used. (or try to spread your own as quick as possible)

Still I don't think Civ 4 is too difficult, but I have yet to encounter a game I play in which I haven't lost a city or two and had to reconquer/rebuild them. This can be hard to take, but you just have to move on. If all this still doesn't help try playing the game with friends, it's a lot more fun that way and it's much easier to fight against the more difficult ones.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
I just cant find any games...I mean its fun to play but I always lose in one way or another. Ive read a bunch of guides online but I just cant get "good" at the game. I play on the third difficulty setting (out of like 10) but I still always lose. Whats da deal?DarKre
Turn the difficulty down and that should solve your problem.