Why great action games aren't coming to PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

isaacyassar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 isaacyassar
Member since 2010 • 37 Posts
Action games with cool concepts like Assasins Creed 2, Bayonetta, and Dante's Inferno aren't on PC yet. Why they don't make it on PC as well? I thought XBOX 360 and PC has some similarities on their mechanism so it should be easy to develop the game for both platform. More action games on PC please!
ironman388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ironman388
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

because the developer chose not to make it on PC? jk

part of the reason is because it is quite a bit harder to play games like that (especially a GOW3 style) with a keyboard and mouse (at least i think it is). also the demand for these games on PC isnt so big. PC people tend to like FPS, RTS, MMO and RPG games more than fighting and those GOW3 style games (beat em'ups?). i would like to play bayonneta on the PC too, but we are probably in a minority compared to the huge PC gaming community

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Because not everyone is "CAPCOM" !!! Most new console devs dont have the money or faith to invest on pc!
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

If it was Capcom who made Bayonetta, then chances are good there would be a PC port. They seem to be the only developer who's shown active interest in porting their games to PC, and they come out great too. I own Resident Evil 5 for the PC, and it runs beautifully.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
[QUOTE="dakan45"]Because not everyone is "CAPCOM" !!! Most new console devs dont have the money or faith to invest on pc!

i'm pretty sure development cost on pc are alot cheaper and has remained fairly consistent as opposed to consoles development cost which have sky rocketed like thye do every gen. Makes me wonder how little exclusive you will see next gen as multiplatform titles will likely dominate.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

part of the reason is because it is quite a bit harder to play games like that (especially a GOW3 style) with a keyboard and mouse (at least i think it is). also the demand for these games on PC isnt so big. PC people tend to like FPS, RTS, MMO and RPG games more than fighting and those GOW3 style games (beat em'ups?). i would like to play bayonneta on the PC too, but we are probably in a minority compared to the huge PC gaming community

ironman388

This. The only genres where PC is the preferred platform are RTS, MMORPG, and WRPG (and it's really only because controllers are not suitable for these games at all). PC is also preferred by some FPS gamers, but consoles are definitely more popular in that department, at least with mainstream gamers. Developers prefer consoles for practical reasons; the hardware uniform so they don't have to waste time making the game work with all the thousands of PC configurations out there and they can spend more time optimizing the game for the hardware provided.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="King9999"]

If it was Capcom who made Bayonetta, then chances are good there would be a PC port. They seem to be the only developer who's shown active interest in porting their games to PC, and they come out great too. I own Resident Evil 5 for the PC, and it runs beautifully.

No, sadly it was not capcom who made it Platinum games did and sega publish it!
[QUOTE="dakan45"]Because not everyone is "CAPCOM" !!! Most new console devs dont have the money or faith to invest on pc!DJ_Headshot
i'm pretty sure development cost on pc are alot cheaper and has remained fairly consistent as opposed to consoles development cost which have sky rocketed like thye do every gen. Makes me wonder how little exclusive you will see next gen as multiplatform titles will likely dominate.

Take a look at the multiplatforms, gamedevelopers dont even bother to make a proper pc version, they leave many console counterparts that hint direct porting. Its not like they care to port those games right and they do ask for our money. Pc gamers have the lowest priority by most devs when it comes to multiplatform!
bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

profit

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

There are some games genres that don't sell on the console and vice versa there are some game genres that don't sell on the PC. Those three games you listed do not interest the majority of PC gamers, the only people that would be interested in playing those games already bought a copy for their console and they are unlikely to purchase a second copy for the PC.

It also doesn't help that if they do bring these "action" games to the PC there is no thought about tailoring them to the PC you usually find the game is impossible to play with a mouse and keyboard and little thought to changing the mechanics of the game to suit the PC audience. It has always been like this, nothing has changed. If anything I would say the situation is actually better than it has been in years, a few years ago I would never have said Batman Arkham Asylum would make an appearance on the PC but it did.

However unless an action game is reworked extensively to cater for the PC audience then sales will always be "disappointing" to be honest I would rather they don't bother at all, if they can't put in the effort then just don't do it.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

There are some games genres that don't sell on the console and vice versa there are some game genres that don't sell on the PC. Those three games you listed do not interest the majority of PC gamers, the only people that would be interested in playing those games already bought a copy for their console and they are unlikely to purchase a second copy for the PC.

It also doesn't help that if they do bring these "action" games to the PC there is no thought about tailoring them to the PC you usually find the game is impossible to play with a mouse and keyboard and little thought to changing the mechanics of the game to suit the PC audience. It has always been like this, nothing has changed. If anything I would say the situation is actually better than it has been in years, a few years ago I would never have said Batman Arkham Asylum would make an appearance on the PC but it did.

However unless an action game is reworked extensively to cater for the PC audience then sales will always be "disappointing" to be honest I would rather they don't bother at all, if they can't put in the effort then just don't do it.

charmingcharlie

DMC4 was ok :?

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I wish Bayonetta was on PC...It would be magical...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

samuraiguns

Amen dude.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

samuraiguns
I heard that game is great. Have you played it?
isaacyassar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 isaacyassar
Action games on PC played with keyboard and mouse? That's a wrong mindset. Action games should be played ONLY with keyboard. With a good key mapping, everything is possible. I played DMC 4 on PC with keyboard and I've beaten everything in the game, including that famous Dante Must Die (DMD) difficulty and 101 levels of Bloody Palace. Keyboard is an awesome device to play action / hack n slash games in PC. X-Men Legends 2 is another great example of PC action games played with keyboard :D
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 millerlight89
Action games on PC played with keyboard and mouse? That's a wrong mindset. Action games should be played ONLY with keyboard. With a good key mapping, everything is possible. I played DMC 4 on PC with keyboard and I've beaten everything in the game, including that famous Dante Must Die (DMD) difficulty and 101 levels of Bloody Palace. Keyboard is an awesome device to play action / hack n slash games in PC. X-Men Legends 2 is another great example of PC action games played with keyboard :Disaacyassar
Played with just a keyboard that is the grossest thing I have ever heard. Why not use the KB/M or a controller?
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

ironman388
No, because the parent company of those developers want to make a said-game console-exclusive and thus does not fund the said developers for a PC port. Why would the developers choose to use their own money funding a PC port then? Developers don't get to do what they want all the time. It's completely personal taste to say whether PC controls or console controls are more preferred for action games, and PCs are more than capable of handling those console games. The short answer - Marketing.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

honestly thosegames, let the consoles have them.

There needs to be more segregation between the two platforms. PCs have plenty of exclusive titles, too...like 90% of the RTS genre, and 95% of the MMO genre, and our multiplayer is always better

no reason to fret over a few titles being console exclusive.

isaacyassar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 isaacyassar
[QUOTE="isaacyassar"]Action games on PC played with keyboard and mouse? That's a wrong mindset. Action games should be played ONLY with keyboard. With a good key mapping, everything is possible. I played DMC 4 on PC with keyboard and I've beaten everything in the game, including that famous Dante Must Die (DMD) difficulty and 101 levels of Bloody Palace. Keyboard is an awesome device to play action / hack n slash games in PC. X-Men Legends 2 is another great example of PC action games played with keyboard :Dmillerlight89
Played with just a keyboard that is the grossest thing I have ever heard. Why not use the KB/M or a controller?

In that concept, keyboard is to replace controller of PS3 and XBOX 360 for the particular action games. Don't forget the context dude. You wanna try play DMC4 with KB/M ? Be my guess :D
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 millerlight89
. You wanna try play DMC4 with KB/M ? Be my guess :Disaacyassar
I did "dude." Played just fine, but playing just with keyboard psssh yea ok.
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
DMC 3 & 4 is on PC. Not to mention you can also play God of war 1 & 2 on PC
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#21 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
[QUOTE="ironman388"]

GhoX
No, because the parent company of those developers want to make a said-game console-exclusive and thus does not fund the said developers for a PC port. Why would the developers choose to use their own money funding a PC port then? Developers don't get to do what they want all the time. It's completely personal taste to say whether PC controls or console controls are more preferred for action games, and PCs are more than capable of handling those console games. The short answer - Marketing.

Sega handled the porting of Bayonetta to the PS3 iirc not the developers themselves. For a 3rd-party developer, there are very few reasons not to go multi-plat - cutting yourself off a market isn't a wise thing to do. In terms of action games, It is all a demographic difference between the PC/Console platforms - the design philosophy is different. Porting costs time away from other projects and money, I just dont think Bayonetta would sell well on the PC, it's more trouble than what it's worth.
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

these games almost never go to pc, i know they are good games... but no need to be greedy.

isaacyassar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 isaacyassar
[QUOTE="isaacyassar"]. You wanna try play DMC4 with KB/M ? Be my guess :Dmillerlight89
I did "dude." Played just fine, but playing just with keyboard psssh yea ok.

Can you beat DMD and 101 BP and have 500K unused proud souls and 1M unused red orb with KB/M?
dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

Well Assassin's Creed 2 is coming to the PC as far as I'm concerned in a month or two. However I would like to see Bayonetta on the PC, that is not going to happen because as someone already said before me, not every developer is Capcom. As for Dante's Inferno... well that can stay on the consoles, I don't really mind not having it on PC.

There are simply some genres that better stay on the consoles and some that stay on the PC. However, there was this company called Capcom who proved to everyone that action games CAN be ported to the PC and they can be played very well on KB/M just as on any controller.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#25 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I think I upset a lot of Sony executives with my Drakes Fortune petition..and the street march :(

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
Err those games suck rofl, thats why.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Action games with cool concepts like Assasins Creed 2, Bayonetta, and Dante's Inferno aren't on PC yet. Why they don't make it on PC as well? I thought XBOX 360 and PC has some similarities on their mechanism so it should be easy to develop the game for both platform. More action games on PC please!isaacyassar
It's probably as simple that the perception is those kinds of games won't sell that well on the PC. It may not be the reality, but if developers/publishers thought they could make money they probably would. But yeah, it does stink. I have a 360 so it doesn't matter to me that much, but just played Darksiders and it was a freaking awesome game. Wouldn't mind at all if the sequel came to the PC.
alvaro_pg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 alvaro_pg
Member since 2003 • 330 Posts
Well last year was nice for action games for the pc. We got Batman AA, RE5 and Street Fighter 4, all which run GREAT on the pc and look better than on consoles. I have to agree with those that say that action games don't sell too well for pc and therefore we will only get a handful of these type of games. Anyhow, as long as they are great titles like the ones we got last year, we should be more than happy :) PS: Capcom makes the best ports Imo, I hope their games sell well on the pc so that they keep doing it :)