Why does anybody care about graphics anymore?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

twizzickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 twizzickle
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts

I see people write reviews and complain about graphics.

Who cares!?

If its got good gameplay does it matter?Look at the retro and indy movement. There are tons of successful games with lo-fi graphics.

So really, are mediocre graphics really a reason to reduce a game's rating?

rben21232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rben21232
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

I'm with you there. I stopped caring about graphics a long time ago.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Graphics = immersion. Are you really that daft?

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Johnny_Rock

This to a certain point, right now i'm pretty happy with the graphics we have

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Johnny_Rock

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

James161324

So am I. But to let graphics become stagnant and not progress from what it is now is not progressive.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Gameplay will bet graphics in any game. Yet when first looking at Skyrim, there is a sense of wow factor in seeing a detailed world.
synxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 synxz
Member since 2004 • 148 Posts
A fair review should encompass every aspect of the game. no? So yeah you should elaborate on the graphics, the graphics may be old or low standards but that by no means..means the game sucks. Indie games I played had excellent art styles like Braid or World of Goo, but the shining trait is the gameplay. But now I'm confused with graphics and some other term to refer to art style...That aside, I still wish dev focuses on gameplay as opposed to shinier graphics. Current ones are shiny nuff.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Johnny_Rock

So am I. But to let graphics become stagnant and not progress from what it is now is not progressive.

Thats true, but then i had some of the most fun i had in a long time with max payne 2 a few months ago. Graphics mean something but great gameplay can always trump graphics

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#9 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I can enjoy pretty much any game as long as the game is good, the graphics are just gravy. To say they don't matter however is silly.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Yea, it's all about IMMERSHUN to these new breed of gamers. Look at a game like Skyrim. The combat isn't good, the writing/story/characters/dialog isn't good, the RPG mechanics are laughable. But it's a big open world game that looks pretty. And ppl buy it by the truckloads.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Look at the retro and indy movement. There are tons of successful games with lo-fi graphics.

twizzickle

They're also using their graphics as a selling point. I'm honestly amazed by how many people fall in the trap of false nostalgia. So many of these retro games look a lot worse than games of the period they're claiming to emulate.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Because I'm not blind. But no, I don't think it should affect the score.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Johnny_Rock

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="James161324"]

James161324

Thats true, but then i had some of the most fun i had in a long time with max payne 2 a few months ago. Graphics mean something but great gameplay can always trump graphics

The best gameplay I had was on Steam with the game X-Com UFO Defense. No, graphics are not the most important thing to me either...

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

because it's 2012 and there should be no excuse for a game having bad graphics.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
I couldn't care less. I'm playing Fortress Forever and Quake Live mostly nowadays, which both feature graphics from '99 and '07. They look fine to me. o.O
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

because it's 2012 and there should be no excuse for a game having bad graphics.

jakes456
Depends on the game. Some games require photo realistic graphics. Others do not.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Depends entirely on the game and the type of gamer you are. These days, there are genres and styles to cater for everyone out there. If you like graphic heavy games (as I do) then you're better off sticking with the PC or XBox. Otherwise, the gameplay focused games tend to be on Nintendo consoles.

This is the reason I don't understand people who say grahpics are ruining games when the market is split down the middle to keep both sides happy. I personally think graphics are hugely important if you're trying to tell a story such as in BioShock or The Witcher - especially in games that take place in other worlds.

However, there's also the task of balancing the graphics and gameplay within those games too. I think a good example would be Alan Wake and the use of lighting both as a plot enhancing graphical feature and as gameplay as using the torch almost becomes a skill in itself.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
im not really a "whore" about graphiccs but i do recognize that better graphics allow for a much more immersive game. with that said, not every game needs to pump out 2025 graphics in the year 2012.....artsyle and creativity can compensate for a lack of graphical fidelity as well. it all depends on how its used.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#19 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Because it imerses you more in the game's world and makes the environment more believable. That is a major part of some games. One of the major appeals of gaming is doing things you can't/won't do in real life, or visiting amazing looking places.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I play plenty of low-fi games, but I also can appreciate great graphics and new jumps in fidelity and atmosphere created by effects (ie lighting, ect) really can create new experiences and enhance games. So while I don't need a game to have the best graphics ever...I certainly appreciate when a game goes the extra mile in it's presenetation. Video games are a (by in large) a visual medium are they not?

As an example last year one of my favorite RPG's I played was Eschalon: Book II. Crappy graphics, but still very fun. I also enjoyed the hell out of Skyrim. Amazing open world, fun combat, nice character building, fun quests...and to top it all off an absolutely great presentation. The atmosphere and visual feast on offer was really great and enhanced my fun with the game. I would have still enjoyed it if it looked like Morrowind, but with it's graphics the game was taken to the next level.

So to the question of why care about graphics anymore? The answer is obvious.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

Who cares!?

If its got good gameplay does it matter?Look at the retro and indy movement. There are tons of successful games with lo-fi graphics.

twizzickle

graphics are a part of the game. but if you see a review and its sole focus is the graphics alone, then you have just been given an very poor opinion by a reviewer. but to answer your question about mediocre graphics, you can find that scattered around GS. just check out and of the games that scored well that YOU THINK have mediocre graphics and then some of the ones that didnt score so well, despite having some top not graphics. the answers are all around you around here. 99.99999% of the time a games review is based on the expected experience vs experience you have while playing the game.....the other .00001% is money! but were not supposed to know that one ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Go read a book then.

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

It's a visual medium. Games without graphics is just punching buttons without awe or reactivity. Even 'retro' games have their own visual style that some people find satisfying (and others don't).

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#24 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

A good game is all about balance. I'm good enough with Valve's standard of graphics as they do seem good enough as it is and the fun gameplay mixed with it.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Johnny_Rock

True, but keeping the same graphics level we have now, and improving on the performance and optimization of those graphics would still be progressive. Which is what I wouldn't mind seeing, graphics now are at a good enough level to where we can do this, then once they get better at the performance side, then move on to more detailed graphics, just my 2 cents.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Graphics are so over rated, if it's a good game I will care. Only time I care about graphics is if it is like jaggy and stuff. Artistic direction makes lots more sense, quake live, CSS, they still look fine and stuff. Quake live actually looks better with lowest textures because it looks stylish.
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

Johnny_Rock
No not really... Play System Shock 2, I was more immersed in that game than I ever will be in Bioshock
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Well if graphics quality started to stagnated, at least we wouldn't have to upgrade our PCs as often. :P

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I wouldn't play the games I enjoy playing if I cared about graphics. They also don't really enhance my sense of immersion - I have an imagination for that.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

I wouldn't play the games I enjoy playing if I cared about graphics. They also don't really enhance my sense of immersion - I have an imagination for that.

-wildflower-
The average consumer isn't intelligent and as such we cannot expect any imagination on their part. Graphics help the average person's experience.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

Zubinen
The average consumer isn't intelligent and as such we cannot expect any imagination on their part. Graphics help the average person's experience.

It depends on the game...but it takes an average consumer or above to figure that out. You can't tell me that Skyrim on the mountain, with heavy snow, fog, etc and Crysis (custom maps of course) in the same conditions would offer the same immersion as Minecraft in a snowy place, not even if you're the person that invented the concept of imagination.
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

I sure as hell don't. Realized this at the end of Gemini Rue. For the most part if a games gameplay and story is greater than it's graphics I will not think anything less of it.

Guy1 "I just bought this new 60$ game"

Guy2"Oh koo, Is it fun?"

Guy1 "No, but it sure as hell looks good."

Guy2 -_-

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Johnny_Rock

This is my opinion. I want the most immersive experience possible. Graphics also need to improve with time. I'm never not going to care because as soon as people do, devs might just get lazy and create the same stuff for years. *Looks at Activision

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="James161324"]

Masenkoe

This is my opinion. I want the most immersive experience possible. Graphics also need to improve with time. I'm never not going to care because as soon as people do, devs might just get lazy and create the same stuff for years. *Looks at Activision

Not always.

Don't confuse great graphics with immersion.

A game doesn't have to have photo realistic graphics to produce immersion.

A book doesn't have graphics yet it is one of the most immersive medias in the world. Go look at Schindlers List, the movie wasn't shot in perfect colours or ultra high resolution camera, yet it's a highly immersive film.

A game can produce immersion with sound, story, characters etc. I was very immersed into "To the Moon" and that had 80s graphics.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#35 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

I don't want to sound like a troll, but really? The only people who seem to complain about people who have standards when it comes to graphics are primarily console gamers.

I pay for the hardware to push 1080p with all the post-processing I can. Why? Because nothing bugs the hell of me more than muddy textures, no FSAA, texture pop-in, and object pop-in (I'm looking at you Rift/TOR). Thats why I only rarely play my 360 anymore. People b***** and b***** and b***** about PC gamers who get pissed when a games gets ported from 720p consoles with the same texture quality and lack of post-processing options. It is 2012 and the Unreal Engine games STILL does not support FSAA without forcing it in drivers. At this point if a AAA title doesn't have 1080p quality textures and a full range of FSAA, aniso, shadow, tesselation options then its bargain bin. Because I am not supporting dev laziness/cheapness by paying full price for their game.

Devs fail to provide PC quality visuals and then are aghast when their games underperform on the PC (just look at RAGE and Crysis 2). Also I am getting really sick of games getting coded to offload operations to the CPU that could be much more efficiently rendered using the GPU. RIFT and TOR are the worst offenders I have seen in a while. On my old rig they were both maxing out my 3-core Phenom and using less than 70% on my GPU (a GTX 260). Stop coding the engines for the lowest common denominator when it comes to grafics hardware!

For me story is the most important thing, but graphics and gameplay are pretty damn close.

/rant

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Gaming is not black and white. I can have both on PC. I'll enjoy super meat boy one minute and then go and mod crysis until my eyes bleed the next. I can have my cake and eat it too. I'll complain if the game looks like ass though. Super meat boy does not look like ass, but crysis on low does.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

I don't want to sound like a troll, but really? The only people who seem to complain about people who have standards when it comes to graphics are primarily console gamers.

I pay for the hardware to push 1080p with all the post-processing I can. Why? Because nothing bugs the hell of me more than muddy textures, no FSAA, texture pop-in, and object pop-in (I'm looking at you Rift/TOR). Thats why I only rarely play my 360 anymore. People b***** and b***** and b***** about PC gamers who get pissed when a games gets ported from 720p consoles with the same texture quality and lack of post-processing options. It is 2012 and the Unreal Engine games STILL does not support FSAA without forcing it in drivers. At this point if a AAA title doesn't have 1080p quality textures and a full range of FSAA, aniso, shadow, tesselation options then its bargain bin. Because I am not supporting dev laziness/cheapness by paying full price for their game.

Devs fail to provide PC quality visuals and then are aghast when their games underperform on the PC (just look at RAGE and Crysis 2). Also I am getting really sick of games getting coded to offload operations to the CPU that could be much more efficiently rendered using the GPU. RIFT and TOR are the worst offenders I have seen in a while. On my old rig they were both maxing out my 3-core Phenom and using less than 70% on my GPU (a GTX 260). Stop coding the engines for the lowest common denominator when it comes to grafics hardware!

For me story is the most important thing, but graphics and gameplay are pretty damn close.

/rant

SerOlmy

A game doesn't have to max out ur hardware to be good, just sayin...

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#38 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

No it doesn't. But a AAA title should. I love indi games like Bastion and Anomaly, they don't have amazing graphics, but they still have good visuals. What I can't stand are AAA titles that have the budget and experience to produce great quality visuals, but instead just decide to port 720p quality to the PC and call it it a day. The current console gen is 6+ years old, 6 year old graphics just doesn't cut it on the PC anymore. A lot of games are throwing us a bone with HD texture packs, but IMO that is the bare minimum.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside
No it doesn't. But a AAA triple should. I love indi games like Bastion and Anomaly, they don't have amazing graphics, but they still have good visuals. What I can't stand are AAA titles that have the budget and experience to produce great quality visuals, but instead just decide to port 720p quality to the PC and call it it a day. The current console gen is 6+ years old, 6 year old graphics just doesn't cut it on the PC anymore. A lot of games are throwing us a bone with HD texture packs, but IMO that is the bare minimum.SerOlmy
Yes true, but a AAA Title may choose to use it's budget to concentrate on other things apart from visuals.? It may produce a good looking game but nothing groundbreaking, and use the money saved from the visuals into other departments.
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

nilzg
No not really... Play System Shock 2, I was more immersed in that game than I ever will be in Bioshock

I wasn't, the game literally has some of the 3D worst graphics :P
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I don't believe in "maxing-out" every setting, I make sure the framerate is playable, and the presentation is smooth.
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

It's not so much about graphics more so how the visuals fit with the game.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Depends on the genre and the game design particularly. If its meant to be cinematic in experience, for example, then the game requires intensive graphics.

Plus its also quite a subjective issue so its another topic people like to pointlessly bicker about and act as if he knows better.

1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
[QUOTE="twizzickle"]

Who cares!?

On the PC it is a VERY GOOD reason. PC is where limits are pushed. Don't bring old consolized garbage to the platform and expect praise. Understand?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="James161324"]

James161324

I like both. :D Developers should always aim for both.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
graphics (and by extension, visuals) are extremely important. the original (the very first) prince of persia would not have been as much fun if the animation was not as awesome as it was. Assassins Creed wouldn't be as awesome if the visuals weren't so good. i think anyone that says graphics aren't important is lying to themselves. EVERYTHING about a game is important, the degree of importance is variable but it's important nonetheless.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It's not so much about graphics more so how the visuals fit with the game.

timma25
And this man wins the thread, I believe.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Elann2008

I like both. :D Developers should always aim for both.

i can assure you the majority of developers have some idea about making games and a result, they do aim for both.