Why do you not use Steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zerkrender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zerkrender
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts
Just, why? :P I will only use Steam for games that require Steam. I prefer developers to be creative and give their games their own independent networks. Also, I'm anti-social to people I don't already know and their forums and rather bland, so take that! :x Other reason not listed here.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Actually, I purchase most of my games through Steam. Their forums are not a consideration.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Because i download my games from somewhere else [spoiler] I don't pirate btw [/spoiler]
Zerkrender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zerkrender
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts

Actually, I purchase most of my games through Steam. Their forums are not a consideration.

Johnny_Rock
It was a playful gasp at straws. Most people give me funny looks and think my reasons for avoiding Steam are ignorant or silly. But the biggest reason for me is I do not want to jump through another hoop to play games. Once my Internet was down and Steam wouldn't let me play half life, nagging me about my Internet connect being down instead. So I try to go into offline mode... !ERROR COULD NOT CONNECT TO STEAM, DO YOU WANT TO GO INTO OFFLINE MODE?" Sure it was just a bug, but that's the thing; Steam itself just has to screw up and it will stop you from playing ALL your games. I just think that's bull.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
I do use steam although i prefer impulse
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I never saw a need for it. I play videogames to get away from people, and to have a "social network" connecting me to others as I play has absolutely no appeal at all to me. Then they offered me free Portal if I signed up... so now I've bought a few singe-player games through them. :)
SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
I actually don't buy games if there not on steam, with the exception of some games like blizzard games.. But for the most part I just buy'em on steam cause I only get them when their cheap and on sale and cause its just an excellent hub for my games.
Genesis9100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Genesis9100
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts
I enjoy steams deals and friend method very much. i do enjoy things that have their own network. but i also love steam. needless to say without L4D2 id never have steam.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Steam is not the only service I use. My first choice is retail and then Steam. Though if somewhere else has a great deal, I will buy it from them. It is all about deals for me.... unless I want the hard copy.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
I like Steam, and while developers can give their games independent networks, I'm sure most wouldn't create one that is as stable as Steam thus causing even more anger to people...
Timmeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Timmeus
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts

When I first used Steam I downloaded a demo and it didn't work; first the download stopped for some reason then when it finished downloading it just gave me a error when I tried to run it.

Maybe it's just the Mac version since it's new but it just seamed extremely buggy. I didn't really intend to buy any games I just wanted to try it out and play some demos of games that have recently been ported to Mac.

junkrika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 junkrika
Member since 2010 • 59 Posts

I prefer not to install bloated malware on my computer.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

junkrika
How is Steam in any way Malware? :| I think you don't understand what that term means...
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

junkrika
I lol'd.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Back in the day Steam and I didn't get along at all, this was back when Counter-strike 1.5 was out, now we get along at least.
BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
I've had nothing but trouble with the new steam. Constant disconnects, resource hogging (100% cpu) etc. Worthless piece of garbage.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChiliDragon

junkrika
Malware? Steam? Ooookay... I'd hate to hear your opinion of Google Desktop or Skype then. :P
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
I use steam only when I have to, or if there is an amazing sale. Other than that I much prefer a retail hard copy.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Zerkrender

It was a playful gasp at straws. Most people give me funny looks and think my reasons for avoiding Steam are ignorant or silly. But the biggest reason for me is I do not want to jump through another hoop to play games. Once my Internet was down and Steam wouldn't let me play half life, nagging me about my Internet connect being down instead. So I try to go into offline mode... !ERROR COULD NOT CONNECT TO STEAM, DO YOU WANT TO GO INTO OFFLINE MODE?" Sure it was just a bug, but that's the thing; Steam itself just has to screw up and it will stop you from playing ALL your games. I just think that's bull.

Eh, to each his own. I can fully understand your argument. For me, not having to deal with discs and having the ease of reinstalling the games whenever I want and how many times I want is what draws me to it. I honestly don't play online games (outside of WoW) so that doesn't have much of a bearing on me either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a61a463b062f
deactivated-5a61a463b062f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 deactivated-5a61a463b062f
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts

I prefer retail. I love having the hard copy. But if there's a good deal on Steam I won't hesitate to purchase it. Such as the Fallout 3 GOTY edition for 25 bucks :)

Huskeyyyyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Huskeyyyyyy
Member since 2010 • 53 Posts

I find Steam alright, I used to hate Steam with a passion, but then I got a better PC and now I don't mind it, a game is probably better off using Steam anyway, at least multiplayer, means the game can build a community much better and friends can play together with ease. It's also great for Indie developers to distribute their content; like World of Goo or braid. PC gaming isn't in the greatest shape right now and Steam is helping to heal it.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Steam and D2D are my first two choices for buying games, I prefer the convenience of digital distribution over retail. Also they both often have great sales.
AraiDaiichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AraiDaiichi
Member since 2010 • 123 Posts
Steam and D2D are my first two choices for buying games, I prefer the convenience of digital distribution over retail. Also they both often have great sales.General_X
I agree, I use these two and I'll also use Amazon and Newegg when they have great deals. I just wish Steam would get more older games added.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ChiliDragon
I agree, I use these two and I'll also use Amazon and Newegg when they have great deals. I just wish Steam would get more older games added.AraiDaiichi
That's what gog.com is for ;)
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I prefer other DD websites, because you don't have to have other software running in the background to play a game.

Once you have purchased a game and verified your License Key, it should be able to run on its own like any other program.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 couly  Online
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I like to open the box for that smell of new.
Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

I love Steam and I am surprised by the people who don't like it, but I prefer to buy my games retail for the box/security of owning my own game.

That being said I fully endorse game that require Steamworks to run, but don't buy everything on the platform just because it's Steam.

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
I got the THQ and Eidos/Square Enix pack during the summer sale for around $120.00 That's a total of ~45 games, and I saved more than $800.00, that's more than enough reason for me.
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#30 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts

junkrika
Me HATE malware!
Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

junkrika
Dude, Steam takes up practically the same amount of memory as Internet Explorer.
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
[QUOTE="junkrika"]

Drazule
Dude, Steam takes up practically the same amount of memory as Internet Explorer.

Thats like infinite(RAM that is)? But it doesn't use over 60MB in my PC, and I only use it. The only other thing I got is Impulse for SoaSE.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I like to open the box for that smell of new.couly

Me too. Plus, I collect video games...especially if they have special packaging (collector's editions). Steam is a great system and I use it for games that I couldn't purchase hard copies for like The Path, Zeno Clash and TMU...but, in general, I don't like to have to rely on an online service to play my games.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
I use Steam to buy things from their sales. I use D2D to buy things from THEIR sales. I use Impulse to...uh...To buy games that aren't on other DD services, like Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, Demigod and Sins of A Solar Empire. And I buy most of my new game retail, unless there is some good reason not to (Pre-ordered Borderlands to preload it and play it day 1 with my friend, same with Bad Company 2)
gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't is if I wanted to sell it afterwards
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 couly  Online
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts

[QUOTE="couly"]I like to open the box for that smell of new.StrawberryHill

Me too. Plus, I collect video games...especially if they have special packaging (collector's editions). Steam is a great system and I use it for games that I couldn't purchase hard copies for like The Path, Zeno Clash and TMU...but, in general, I don't like to have to rely on an online service to play my games.

yeah exactly, i have a lot of collectors editions, I didn't even buy Trine using steam I got the boxed copy for 4 euro for the collection.