Why do people like the Civilization games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts

I have tried to like Civilization IV. I have played many games and I have played the tutorial...and I have even read the manual.

I have a few problems with the game that kill the experience for me:

1. Too Much Information! - The Research tree is so large, and each action has so many implications that I never know what to do. So many choices are opened up to me, but in order to know what they actually do, I need to look in the manual which really makes the game a grind. Even then the amount of choice is staggering. If I just decide to just choose the "Recomended" research, I feel like I don't know what the heck is going on.

2. Random Combat - When I send a helicopter to assault a city, it should not be taken out by an archer. I do not even know how to decipher what is going on during the battles, and whether or not assaulting the city will be a good idea or not. With so much information out there, they can't seem to make the important info obvious.

3. Too much downtime - There are many points in the game where I am moving units and researching things that take a RIDULOUSLY long time to complete. During these times I am just hitting the enter key a ton of times. The game drags along during these moments, and this happens quite frequently.

Those are my major gripes with the games. I'm sure I could come up with more if I tried.

So, if you like the Civ games, why do you like them? What things about game are fun to you? Am I playing it wrong and is there a certain way to play the game to make it fun?

T-Baggimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 T-Baggimus
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

I too can't really get into the Civ games but apperantly its really good for its genre. Lets say a puzzle game gets a 8-9 score. I still wouldn't really like it since I'm not much of a fan of puzzle games. Does that make it bad? Certainly not, it's just not your cup of tea.

As for my puzzle comment, I do find Peggle quite satisfying :)

stoutlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 stoutlad
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts
I never really got into the Civ games either, for pretty much the exact same reasons you stated.
SemperFi10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SemperFi10
Member since 2004 • 3139 Posts

Civ is a tough game. I'd tone down the difficulty and decrease the time scale you're playing on. Be patient. Don't try to play the game unless you have large tracts of time and have nothing to do. Civilization is a game of strategy and trying to predict and manipulate the future. You're suppose to plan ahead, consider all your options. It's not a game to be rushed. A single game can last many, many hours. Keep trying different things each time you play. If you lose, consider what you did, and try something new. Eventually you'll get a feel for it.

If that isn't your cup of tea, that's alright.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I think there's a couple of reasons:

1) One of the most complex games that is actually fairly simple to learn.

2) A game that undertakes something as vast as building human civilization from the stone age to moder times and beyond? I can't think of any game with as large and broad a scope (well perhaps spore but lets not get started about that game..)

3) One of the few games that presents a very real challange without nessesarily focusing on combat

4) You can approach the game and succeed in a lot of diffrent ways (wage war on everyone, focus on getting superior tech and outdeveloping the rest of the world, keep enemies at bay and fighting one another using diplomacy, manipulate others using religion, build wealth through trade and buy your way to victory.....)

5) Nostalgia. Civ4 is really just a more polished version of the original civilization (there's changes but the core game is the same). When it was first released it was something never seen before. I think a lot of us have fond memories of being blown away by the original Civ games so we see them in a favorable light.

6) Still one of the best strategy games every made and released :)

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ninja_Dog

Mazoch
In my experience it does not seem simple to learn. How were you able to figure out what to do?
SemperFi10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SemperFi10
Member since 2004 • 3139 Posts
[QUOTE="Mazoch"]

Ninja_Dog
In my experience it does not seem simple to learn. How were you able to figure out what to do?

I'd stop worrying about every decision you make until you're capable of taking on harder difficulties. Put the game on the easiest difficulty, and then mess around. Figure out what works for you. Also, try focusing on one way of winning. This may not work when playing tougher opponents, but try just focusing on one way of achieving victory at first. Keep it simple until you get down the basics. Then tone up the difficulty and scale in small increments. Eventually you'll be rocking the game one century at a time.
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

I love Civ 4.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

At TC, I was pretty much in your boat when I started. I had those exact reasons, but the only difference is I ended up enjoying what little time I spent with the game. The tutorial I thought was a pretty good introduction, but yeah, I lot of the game I sat around smashing enter so I could focus on troop creation and movement. While wildly successful for the first part of the game, I allied with the wrong nation and ended up coming in near last at the end of the game. Just a few crazy things that happened along the way made Civ 4 a great experience for me.

But I agree, it's not for everyone. I won't even try to sell it, because it's pretty daunting. I skimmed the surface of the game, really, but I've always been a sucker for ruling over cities and whatnot. And blowing them up : )

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ninja_Dog
So it seems this game takes a lot of patience and trial and error to learn... I'll try to learn it again, but it just seems like the learning curve is a bit to high for me to really get into it.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="Mazoch"]

Ninja_Dog

Heh.. to be honest I can't really tell you since it was over 10 years ago :) However some general tips that might or might not be helpful:

Don't focus too much on building vast armies. Civ is not a war game in the same way as most other strategy games. War is just one possible tool available and it's often a very expensive and risky one.

Always build at least one defensive troop and leave him in your city for general defense (you can set him to fortify so you don't have to worry about him).

In the early game research is more important than taxes.

Don't start wars unless you think you can finish them quickly and make sure there is something in it for you. Wars cost you in terms of troops, city unrest and general havok.

Don't trust anyone. Just because your allied with Ghandi dosent mean Ghandi isent just waiting for a chance to invade and pillage your country.

For a somewhat easy game, make a costum world with mid sized islands. This gives you natural and effective defences. It will give you a lot of breathing room to learn the ins and outs of the game without having 3-4 other nations breathing down your neck.

TEH_RADIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TEH_RADIO
Member since 2009 • 418 Posts

[QUOTE="Mazoch"]

Ninja_Dog

When I first started I played in an easy mode and pretty much pressed anything. When you go into harder levels youll get r***d fairly quickly so then youll start to understand what units/upgrades you need to do to survive.

But as was said above, at the easier levels all you do is press enter ALOT. Its in the harder modes that the game starts to make sense.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I enjoy Civ because there is so much information and my turns do take such a long time lol
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"][QUOTE="Mazoch"]

Mazoch

Heh.. to be honest I can't really tell you since it was over 10 years ago :) However some general tips that might or might not be helpful:

Don't focus too much on building vast armies. Civ is not a war game in the same way as most other strategy games. War is just one possible tool available and it's often a very expensive and risky one.

Always build at least one defensive troop and leave him in your city for general defense (you can set him to fortify so you don't have to worry about him).

In the early game research is more important than taxes.

Don't start wars unless you think you can finish them quickly and make sure there is something in it for you. Wars cost you in terms of troops, city unrest and general havok.

Don't trust anyone. Just because your allied with Ghandi dosent mean Ghandi isent just waiting for a chance to invade and pillage your country.

For a somewhat easy game, make a costum world with mid sized islands. This gives you natural and effective defences. It will give you a lot of breathing room to learn the ins and outs of the game without having 3-4 other nations breathing down your neck.

^ Can I just say... Ghandi freakin' sucks! I made the mistake of allying myself with him because me and him were competing for the top two spots constantly. I had to give more than I received, and he dragged me into his war with the Aztecs, who, btw, pushed me all the way back to my home city. By the late game, I found out all the other leaders didn't like Ghandi too much so I spent more time at war than I did upgrading my empire.
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

I have tried to like Civilization IV. I have played many games and I have played the tutorial...and I have even read the manual.

I have a few problems with the game that kill the experience for me:

1. Too Much Information! - The Research tree is so large, and each action has so many implications that I never know what to do. So many choices are opened up to me, but in order to know what they actually do, I need to look in the manual which really makes the game a grind. Even then the amount of choice is staggering. If I just decide to just choose the "Recomended" research, I feel like I don't know what the heck is going on.

2. Random Combat - When I send a helicopter to assault a city, it should not be taken out by an archer. I do not even know how to decipher what is going on during the battles, and whether or not assaulting the city will be a good idea or not. With so much information out there, they can't seem to make the important info obvious.

3. Too much downtime - There are many points in the game where I am moving units and researching things that take a RIDULOUSLY long time to complete. During these times I am just hitting the enter key a ton of times. The game drags along during these moments, and this happens quite frequently.

Those are my major gripes with the games. I'm sure I could come up with more if I tried.

So, if you like the Civ games, why do you like them? What things about game are fun to you? Am I playing it wrong and is there a certain way to play the game to make it fun?

Ninja_Dog

archers upgrade to anti air units, so theyre still pretty stong against air

Tannerr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16 Tannerr33
Member since 2004 • 896 Posts

I found the best way to learn was to play with friends. Five or six of us would literally play in 6 hour stretches multiple nights a week during the summertime. We would constantly be talking on ventrillo or skype and whenever we needed to figure something out one of us was usually able to and so the learning curve was much better. Took us about a week of playing like this to get a good grasp on the game.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I liked it for it's multiplayer.

Could not stand single player, but it was fun to play with a friend and take on lots of other nations.

SmokinDankNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 SmokinDankNugz
Member since 2009 • 242 Posts
I'm a huge Civ fan, but I still stick to playing on Noble otherwise it just seems unfair, like how in gods name, do you expand to the same extent as the AI does at the start of the game, while still maintaining technology and not having maintenance costs through the roof? Any suggestions? This is my major stumbling block in Civ on hard difficulties. I just can't seem to find the right mix of expanding my empire and keeping new technology rolling out and enough military units to be safe from attack (I go with one in each to start with, and then 2 around the classical age. I dunno if someone has good start-up tips I'd appreciate it!
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Civ is really complicated at the higher level of play (where IMO it's the most fun). You sound like you're just not playing it right, but are fighting easy AI's so it's not very satisfying. Anyways, I started playing Civ 1 at ~10 y.o. so I can't really say what it's like to walk into the series as an adult and attempt to learn it. I guess reading lots of guides and lurking in Civ fanatics forums. I'll just say that the Civ-style 4x TBS games are the real thinking man's game, and no other game type has offered more of a mental challenge than them.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
I was in exactly the same boat as you, the tutorial was terrible, and while everything is laid out simply, the game gives you little direction. Regardless, the best way to learn is to put the game at an easy difficulty, on a mid sized map with good terrain. When playing, try to make sure that your empire is efficient because thats key to everything. For that you need productivity, so you need buildings in your settlement as well as improvements, and to do that you need the right research. Keep playing, and youll get the hang of it, remember just dont over expand and focus on efficiency.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
I love Civ 4 and the complexity. I do have issues with some of the combat and movement. Maps with continents can be a total pain to move your armies to attack. Also, barbarians can be TOTALLY annoying. It seems like they either do nothing or totally steam roll you. So I try to get the wall of china as fast as I can. Diplomacy is probably the worst. You can get a leader to like you, then the next turn he can declare war if you don't pay tribute. There's really not much you can do about that. Would be nice if the AI for diplomacy was a bit better, so that allies actually acted like allies, and not just a temporary cease fire until they can stab you in the back :P
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I have some mixed feelings about Civ. I used to play it loads and loved Civ 1, 2 & 3, but then didn't play it for many years. I recently tried to get into Civ 4 and was blown away by the complexity. I started with the tutorial, but was still in it without having done much after about 45 mins, and it just didn't click the way previous games had. I also tried Civ Revolutions on console, and found it captured the essence and fun of the earlier Civ games, but without the level of (over)complexity offered by Civ 4. If you are a hardcore Civ fan, then Civ 4 is the game to go for, but if you aren't prepared to put a lot of time into learning how to play it, then Civ Revoultion is probably the better choice.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]I have some mixed feelings about Civ. I used to play it loads and loved Civ 1, 2 & 3, but then didn't play it for many years. I recently tried to get into Civ 4 and was blown away by the complexity. I started with the tutorial, but was still in it without having done much after about 45 mins, and it just didn't click the way previous games had. I also tried Civ Revolutions on console, and found it captured the essence and fun of the earlier Civ games, but without the level of (over)complexity offered by Civ 4. If you are a hardcore Civ fan, then Civ 4 is the game to go for, but if you aren't prepared to put a lot of time into learning how to play it, then Civ Revoultion is probably the better choice.

Civ Revolution is a great game. I own that on 360 as well as owning Civ 4 on PC. The only thing I don't like about Civ Revolution is that you can't zoom out on the map so it's kind of hard to view everything you need to at once. (or at least I couldn't figure out how to zoom out if you can)
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Civ is awesome, it's not complex or hard if you play on the easier difficulties. I wish we had more TBS games but people don't seem to have the patience for them. :(

Also lol at Civ Rev. It's basically Civ4 with everything that makes it good taken away. I watched my friend play it on his PS3 and I think I got permanent brain damage from how dumbed down it was.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
I don't know if I do like them but whenever I load them up, I can't stop playing.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="Mazoch"]

Ninja_Dog

My 12 year old brother figured this game out on his first time. How you can find it difficult is beyond me.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I enjoy civ when you have a lot of free time and want a play at your own pace game. it's like a chess match really. while there's a lot of information you have to be good at using and acting upon that information. a lot of time you'll have to make decisions that are trade offs between speed and most efficient use of resources.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

It sounds like you are playing Civ III. Civ IV goes a bit more out of its way to reveal the game mechanics I think, especially when it comes to why other Civs are hostile towards you or not. (Some of the leaders, like Montezuma, are far more predisposed towards hostile actions though, no matter how clearly futile such a course of action might be.) Civ IV is also far more fast-paced on the normal game speed. I liked Civ III in its time, but after playing Civ IV there is no way I could ever go back to it.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ninja_Dog
[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]I was in exactly the same boat as you, the tutorial was terrible, and while everything is laid out simply, the game gives you little direction. Regardless, the best way to learn is to put the game at an easy difficulty, on a mid sized map with good terrain. When playing, try to make sure that your empire is efficient because thats key to everything. For that you need productivity, so you need buildings in your settlement as well as improvements, and to do that you need the right research. Keep playing, and youll get the hang of it, remember just dont over expand and focus on efficiency.

I always focused on expansion. I'll try efficiency next time I play. Maybe I can learn the game mechanics better if I focus on that...
TEH_RADIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TEH_RADIO
Member since 2009 • 418 Posts

Because its awesome