Why can't I get Witcher 2 to run perfect on any setting?

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

12245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

Alright so I keep having a stutter/fps drop in Witcher 2 in all settings. I have tried almost every setting imaginable. I even put it on the lowest resolution with everything on low and I still got a stutter/fps drop in the same exact places every time. With vsync off I can get over 100fps and with it on I get 60fps solid but when it dips it goes below 30 in the same places every time. I thought maybe it was my HDD but I just got an SSD and while the load times are non existent, it didn't fix anything. I've even cleaned my GPU and applied new paste. I've searched and tried every fix imaginable. I've tweaked every single setting in nvidia control panel and still no fix. I've frame limited the game and even nothing. I even tried the stuttering patch and still nothing. I've played games that look more intensive with my specs and they run just fine. I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it. For the last month I've been losing sleep on getting this game to run right because I just wanna play it smoothly (the game is soooo good) but this is killing my vibe.

Specs are below

Core i7 920 2.67ghz

GTX 295

6GB DDR3

256GB CRUCIAL SSD

600GB WD HDD

750W PSU

Someone help a brother out. I keep saying I'm gonna give up until I build a new rig but I just can't let it go. I should at the very least be able to play this game on low settings without the fps dips. My only guess is software issues with the latest nvidia drivers. The only thing I can think of is uninstalling them and seeing how the game runs and try to find a driver that works best. Or does the game just naturally have fps dips that cannot be fixed unless you have a godly rig?? Sorry for the long post. I like to be detailed.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
  • Update the game to Enhanced Edition
  • Update your graphics drivers
  • Set "Texture Memory Size" to high
  • Turn off "Cinematic Depth of Field" option (but keep other Depth of Field options On ie- DOF gameplay , DOF Cutscenes etc)
  • Set Decals to Medium .

That will make things a lot better . That said , the game is not optimized well .

Avatar image for alucrd2009
Alucrd2009

785

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

i think cause of your card , when i was using t7870 it was running on 60 fps with all ultri setting without the ultra sampling , i think your gpu only support Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1 Support. as i saw in nvidia site . the cpu is good .

Avatar image for gerygo
GeryGo

12792

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12792 Posts

@blazinpuertoroc said:

Alright so I keep having a stutter/fps drop in Witcher 2 in all settings. I have tried almost every setting imaginable. I even put it on the lowest resolution with everything on low and I still got a stutter/fps drop in the same exact places every time. With vsync off I can get over 100fps and with it on I get 60fps solid but when it dips it goes below 30 in the same places every time. I thought maybe it was my HDD but I just got an SSD and while the load times are non existent, it didn't fix anything. I've even cleaned my GPU and applied new paste. I've searched and tried every fix imaginable. I've tweaked every single setting in nvidia control panel and still no fix. I've frame limited the game and even nothing. I even tried the stuttering patch and still nothing. I've played games that look more intensive with my specs and they run just fine. I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it. For the last month I've been losing sleep on getting this game to run right because I just wanna play it smoothly (the game is soooo good) but this is killing my vibe.

Specs are below

Core i7 920 2.67ghz

GTX 295

6GB DDR3

256GB CRUCIAL SSD

600GB WD HDD

750W PSU

Someone help a brother out. I keep saying I'm gonna give up until I build a new rig but I just can't let it go. I should at the very least be able to play this game on low settings without the fps dips. My only guess is software issues with the latest nvidia drivers. The only thing I can think of is uninstalling them and seeing how the game runs and try to find a driver that works best. Or does the game just naturally have fps dips that cannot be fixed unless you have a godly rig?? Sorry for the long post. I like to be detailed.

1st of all, I don't think you know what SSD do, it helps on the load time no on the actual performance of your rig, it doesn't improve fps.

2nd thing, you can't expect to play Witcher 2 with that crappy GPU and complain on low fps, I've been playing it with HD5770 and I've got from max settings to lowest a difference of 15-20fps.

Yes the conclusion is that you need to upgrade your GPU to be able to play this beautiful game.

EDIT: also your CPU should run as close as can be to 4Ghz, not 2.7 - that's just the standart of todays 4 cores CPUs.

Avatar image for Coseniath
Coseniath

3183

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Most people forget or they don't know it, but GTX295 has only 896MB VRAM (x 2 = 1792).

Its possible that despite GTX295's brute force which is equal to GTX750ti or more like GTX660, its very low VRAM, bottlenecks its potential.

I think you are hitting your VRAM limit wall.

You need to lower everything that is heavy taxing the VRAM like AA and textures.

Also beware not to have "ubersampling" enabled. This ubersampling might even destroy TitanZ performance...

ps: Use MSI Afterburner to check how much VRAM is your GPU using while gaming :).

Avatar image for FelipeInside
FelipeInside

28548

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@blazinpuertoroc said:

TURN OFF SUPER-SAMPLING !!!

But your video card is pretty weak dude... time to upgrade.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

5404

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

As soon as I saw your gpu I thought Vram, it might be a dual gpu but it's very long the tooth. You just need more. Also that Cpu does need to be clocked higher, at least 3.5GHz.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

12245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

@FelipeInside: like i've said I've literally turned off everything in the setting and ran the game 640x480 and the game would stutter at the same places every single. I'm trying to upgrade to a R9 290 before the end of the year.

Avatar image for GTR12
GTR12

13490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@blazinpuertoroc:

Have you checked if your CPU is throttling for high temps or anything? get something like a Hyper 212 and give the clockspeed a bump, that should help.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

12245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

@GTR12: my cpu is running fine. I guess I need to overclock it. But I don't understand why I still get stutters or dips on the lowest settings and resolution in the same areas every time. I guess my GPU had just run it's course but I feel like the 360 can run this game just fine I should be able to as well. I'm not trying to max it out or anything. Just have it run at a steady framerate all the time.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
FelipeInside

28548

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@blazinpuertoroc said:

@FelipeInside: like i've said I've literally turned off everything in the setting and ran the game 640x480 and the game would stutter at the same places every single. I'm trying to upgrade to a R9 290 before the end of the year.

I think it's definitely the video card then, just too old for this type of heavy game.

Be aware though that Witcher 2 DOES stutter in some parts, no matter what PC you have.

Avatar image for GTR12
GTR12

13490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@blazinpuertoroc: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/494231/sli/sli-performing-poorly-with-the-witcher-2/

Read that thread, some setting on a SLI profile apparently fixes the issue, also note, CPU's are clocked at 4Ghz.

Avatar image for heguain
heguain

1426

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 275

User Lists: 34

#13 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1426 Posts

Upgrade your graphics card. ;)

Avatar image for Coseniath
Coseniath

3183

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#14 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@blazinpuertoroc said:

@FelipeInside: like i've said I've literally turned off everything in the setting and ran the game 640x480 and the game would stutter at the same places every single. I'm trying to upgrade to a R9 290 before the end of the year.

Oh, this is not a VRAM issue then. This is really strange. This might be a bug or smthng like this.

Oh and R9 290 will surely drop its price since the new DX12 Maxwell GPUs will come today and some rumors say GTX970 will cost only $299!!!

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

12245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#15 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

@FelipeInside: does it really stutter for everyone because this is what I was wondering the most. I managed to get to make the stutter in some parts a bit less noticeable but at the cost of running 30fps.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

12245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

@Coseniath: link me???

@heguain ayeee, i'm working on it. GTX 295 may be old but it still runs all the games I play at 1080p on high settings. Need to get on that DX11-12 wave though. The cards I need to get to top the power of a 295 are still $400+ cards (for now)

Avatar image for Coseniath
Coseniath

3183

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@blazinpuertoroc said:

@Coseniath: link me???

wait 3 hours. In 3 hours the NDA will be lifted and you will see reviews everywhere :).

edit I think its 3hours I made a mistake. 2:44 to be precise...

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

12245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

I'm getting the gtx 970. or maybe the 980.

Avatar image for gerygo
GeryGo

12792

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#19 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12792 Posts

@blazinpuertoroc said:

I'm getting the gtx 970. or maybe the 980.

Hold your horses, save some money for better CPU, you'd want that as well, and a brand new MOBO on the way.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

12245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

@PredatorRules: in time I will. Probably some time in 2015. Need a graphics card more right now. I may not be able to push the cards to its full potential but that doesn't really matter right now. I was reading the old i7's still get great numbers with new cards. Going to get a new fan for my cpu and overclock it til I upgrade everything.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
FelipeInside

28548

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@blazinpuertoroc said:

@FelipeInside: does it really stutter for everyone because this is what I was wondering the most. I managed to get to make the stutter in some parts a bit less noticeable but at the cost of running 30fps.

Well my PC was above recommended requirements and it still stuttered in parts. I played it at launch though so maybe patches have fixed that.

Avatar image for gerygo
GeryGo

12792

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#22 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12792 Posts

@blazinpuertoroc said:

@PredatorRules: in time I will. Probably some time in 2015. Need a graphics card more right now. I may not be able to push the cards to its full potential but that doesn't really matter right now. I was reading the old i7's still get great numbers with new cards. Going to get a new fan for my cpu and overclock it til I upgrade everything.

If you'll manage to get your CPU run at 3.4Ghz and above you're good to go.