why cant i figure out RTS games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brentsonier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brentsonier
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

okay i been trying to get into rts games for about oh a year now, and i just cant seem to grasp them which blows cause i really like them. i just dont know im not some noob gamer (well with rts games i am) that thinks guitar hero is the greatest game ever! so why cant i play rts games, was i born without that part of the brain. would i be the worst general that ever lived if given the chance? so can anyone point me in the direction of some kind of SUPER NOOB RTS STRATEGY GUIDE 4 DUMMIES? (this is embarrasing)......help me please b4 i give up completely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d98e9b222525
deactivated-5d98e9b222525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5d98e9b222525
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts

Play Dawn Of War 2. It really streamlines the RTS genre. When you're comfortable with that move on to more complicated games.

brentsonier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 brentsonier
thanks but i dont think my computer will be able to run that game im working with a toshiba L305 satellite series lol, its all i got till i can save up enough to build a new rig.
Avatar image for i_saw_a_mudcrab
i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 i_saw_a_mudcrab
Member since 2007 • 1015 Posts

Play Dawn Of War 2. It really streamlines the RTS genre. When you're comfortable with that move on to more complicated games.

StormtrooprDave

I don't think playing DoW2 will get him acquainted with the RTS genre. DoW 2 is more of "dungeon siege with guns" than an RTS.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
Try LOTR Battle for the Middle Earth 2, its quite easy to gasp.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts
Maybe Dawn of War: Dark Crusade may help?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

okay i been trying to get into rts games for about oh a year now, and i just cant seem to grasp them which blows cause i really like them. i just dont know im not some noob gamer (well with rts games i am) that thinks guitar hero is the greatest game ever! so why cant i play rts games, was i born without that part of the brain. would i be the worst general that ever lived if given the chance? so can anyone point me in the direction of some kind of SUPER NOOB RTS STRATEGY GUIDE 4 DUMMIES? (this is embarrasing)......help me please b4 i give up completely.

brentsonier

The main goal is usually to obliterate your opponent from the face of the game. You have to construct factories of war and the infrastructure to support them. You also need resources to fuel all those. You build up your forces strong enough then attack. Of course, the opponent may have other ideas and keep you on the defensive for a while. But, that's the main premise in a nutshell.

I usually stick to the easier ones first such as Command & Conquer: Generals.

ttam01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 ttam01
Member since 2008 • 427 Posts

brentsonier

\

Maybe C&C3. But that's just me. I really don't know cause I was owning in Rome: total war when I was ten.

enix165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 enix165
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

Well, RTS games are a bit of an acquired taste IMO. I hated pretty much all RTSes until I played Warcraft 2 at my friend's house, and since then they've started to grow on me and atwo of my all-time favorite games(Medieval Total War 2 and Warcraft 3) were games I hated first off. A lot of the games in the genre you can't really jump into without playing another RTS first though...I'd suggest trying a Warcraft game(not WoW, of course, since that's not an RTS), an Age Of Empires(maye)or a Command And Conquer to start you off. It takes some getting used to, but IMO it's worth every second. =P

Kaeladar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kaeladar
Member since 2006 • 377 Posts
scouting is usually the most important thing, to know resources locations and your opponent's army size and research choices. once you have enough intel from your scouts, you must use it to find a balance between: - gathering resources. - building defenses, enough to defend yourself against your opponent's army size. - researching your tech trees. - weakening your ennemy by attacking him directly or preventing him to access resources. it's pretty straightforward but sometimes it's hard to master. it helps to learn the units characteristics to use the best suited unit for your opponent's units. once you know how to do all this, your victory will depend on how fast you can issue commands and micro manage your units. if you play online against good players, it will probably require more skill and speed than guitar hero :)
BornGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 BornGamer
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Look up strategy guides using the popular search engine "Google". You can find it at www.google.com

brentsonier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 brentsonier

Look up strategy guides using the popular search engine "Google". You can find it at www.google.com

BornGamer
really i thought it was called topeka.com
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

hard to say really, some games just aint for some people, that said most RTS games are not that similar.

If I were to point to a few games that are good places to start in RTS gaming, Id say the DOW series (dow1 not 2). And something like wc3 (2 is better tho :P)or starcraft.

I think the only real advice I can give you is to play through the sp campaign first, before heading into mp, ive always seen the sp campaigns as the worlds longest tutorial, often focusing on a specific unit and its usage in each map.

Anyways, DoW1 has some fairly simple to grasp mechanics, it is not a game that focuses on spitting out as many troops as possible, since there is a limit on how many you can have at any given time, so you will not have to know keyboard shortcuts, or have to have a certain clicks per second to play that.

And since troops are gathred in units, and players cant have too many of them, it is nice and each to get a good overview of the maps, and your own troops.

Resources are gained from taking specific areas of the map, so you do not need to spend alot of time making sure the income is acceptible, and build a ton of farms and other.

It does have the basic concepts of an RTS tho, so when you playied DoW you will not really be lost in any rts.

+ its a bloody fun and cool game.

WC3, is more of the old school one, there are 2 parts of this kind of rts game, base building/ economics and troop building and overview.

I think this kind of RTS are far more diffecult for new players, because you have to pay attention, to your base, how many workers there are working, and spit out a constant stream of units, each unit is on thier own in this game, so it can be hard to remember where everyone is.

it is alot faster paced aswell, but the good thing is: If you suceed in playing through the sp campaign with WC or SC, then you will likely be able to hop into just about any rts known to man, and grasp the basic similaritys between the games, and understand teh premises of them.

But as for a "for dummys" guide, I doubt there is one :S trail and error seems to be the name of teh game in rts games, and no 2 people play the same, or build the same.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

its just genetics, kid.

Evilmeanie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Evilmeanie
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

RTS all have a common failing... If you want to kick back andwatchthe battles and lovely graphics, you will lose. I like RTS games, but I have a bad habit of stopping and watching - and losing because I should have been working it.

EM

Slim_Pup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Slim_Pup
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

RTS all have a common failing... If you want to kick back and the battles and lovely graphics, you will lose. I like RTS games, but I have a bad habit of stopping and watching - and losing because I should have been working it.

EM

Evilmeanie

I have this same problem lol. But RTS games in general aren't really hard to grasp. I first started off playing Age of Empires II, which isn't very hard, and is really representative of most RTS games. You can also download a free demo for it, so that you can get a feel for the game. For practice, just start a custom game with the computers set on easiest, and they'll basically never attack you so you can take your time to build up and get used to the game.

I also played Warcraft 3, and I thought it was super hard so you may not wanna try that one. Which RTS games have you played, anyway?

MaxGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MaxGamer
Member since 2002 • 16500 Posts

Focus on learning the hotkeys and study build orders and you should be OK. The point is basically to be like a parasite to the resources on the map, and use them to build your army. You never want to just let your resources pile up, so make sure you're always making something-- whether it be expansions, buildings, units, or upgrades. If you can master this, you'll be great at any RTS.

brentsonier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brentsonier

[QUOTE="Evilmeanie"]

RTS all have a common failing... If you want to kick back and the battles and lovely graphics, you will lose. I like RTS games, but I have a bad habit of stopping and watching - and losing because I should have been working it.

EM

Slim_Pup

I have this same problem lol. But RTS games in general aren't really hard to grasp. I first started off playing Age of Empires II, which isn't very hard, and is really representative of most RTS games. You can also download a free demo for it, so that you can get a feel for the game. For practice, just start a custom game with the computers set on easiest, and they'll basically never attack you so you can take your time to build up and get used to the game.

I also played Warcraft 3, and I thought it was super hard so you may not wanna try that one. Which RTS games have you played, anyway?

i actually found warcraft 3 to be one of the easier ones because you don't have to build up a huge army, granted i haven't made that far into the game, but so far it doesn't seem too overwhelming.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

CnC 3 is ridiculously accessible. It's about as basic and straight forward as you can get in a modern RTS.

You can also watch recorded games on those internets, which should give you a good idea of what to do.

If you were good at Chess, or Risk, or similar board games, then you should eventually become acclimated with the RTS genre. If you had a hard time with those games, then maybe RTS is the wrong genre for you.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
I will suggest Red alert 3 Its good enough has an extensive tutorial system an easy learning curve even for new players in RTS games and its easy to get into also it doesnt need a powerfull Pc
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58453 Posts

[QUOTE="StormtrooprDave"]

i_saw_a_mudcrab

I don't think playing DoW2 will get him acquainted with the RTS genre. DoW 2 is more of "dungeon siege with guns" than an RTS.

agreed

tbh you should start with one or both of the following:

1. Command and Conquer: The First Decade. Its a collection of all the C&C games up to and including Red Alert 2 and its expansion. C&C is essentially the foundation of RTS games, an incredible amount of fun, and considering the package includes 10+ games for 20-30 bucks, it is a helluva deal. Any avid RTS fan should own this (if they dont already own the games already), and it is an excellent place to start

2. Starcraft or Warcraft 3. Both have excellent singleplayer stories, and have good examples of the fundamentals of RTS. Warcraft 3 is a teeny tiny bit more complex in terms of mechanics, but ultimately not that difficult to learn. Furthermore, both have a strong online component, though it is extremely competitive and not noob-friendly.

There are a lot of great RTSs out there, but those two are the only ones I can recommend for an RTS noob. Theyre quality, fun, and basic in terms of gameplay.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

Warcraft 3 and Battle For Middle Earth 2 are VERY streamlined, yet fun. I think since you are new to the genre you will find them most excellent.

jordgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jordgent
Member since 2009 • 46 Posts

the first battle for middle earth would be my suggestion. though it gives u less building capabilities like BFME2 its got simplicity to it. and only one kinda resource called "resources" so no need for cobinations. its not expensive and not so new so ur comp could definetly run it. and the enviroment and battles are beautiful. anuther suggestion would be starcraft. cant go wrong with that. its got balance and starcraft was the reason i myself got into rts games.