Why all of the Windows 10 hate?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I used Windows 7 for years and then when I built my PC about 2 years ago I switched to Windows 8 (and eventually to Windows 8.1). I upgraded to Windows 10 about 3 weeks ago and I think it is probably the best OS that Microsoft has made, but why is there so much hate? People say that there are privacy issues, but they need to realize that these pricacy issues were in Windows 8/8.1 and 7, but they were just imbedded deep into the OS. With Windows 10, you actually have access to all of these "privacy" options, and you can turn them all off if you wish. (detailed steps on how to do it here: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.single.html)

Under the hood, Windows 10 outperforms all of the past operating systems and it combines the best features of both Windows 7 and 8. Are people just hating just for the sake of hating because it doesn't make sense.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Privacy that's why. Windows 10 won't be put on to any of my machines. I'll probably regulate using windows 10 onto a separate SSD not hooked up to my pc for games like Star citizen in DX12 besides that I won't be housing it in any of my permanent drives. IMO the shit they force me to agree too is a step in a direction I'm unwilling to support, I don't like how phones have done this kind of shit so why would I now support this in a Desktop operating system. And just because I turn a few toggles off doesn't erase the fact I would have all ready gave them permissions in the EULA. And what's to stop them if I delete the code doing the spying, from forcing it back in when they do their now forced updates?

I also don't see why advertisers wanting to better sell me shit, is my problem. I don't like advertisements, and don't care to be advertised too, so I find zero worth in allowing them to know, how and when I do anything with my technology. People need to start asking themselves, do you want every corporation to know everything about you? Because that's where shit like windows 10 and googles Android privacy policies will lead us.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

@ribstaylor1 Oh shit, you dropped your tin foil hat... i'll get that for you.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ribstaylor1

@Curlyfrii87: If tinfoil hat means opinion based off of reason and logical thinking then yes I did just drop it. Thanks for picking it up for me, maybe some of that logically sound reasoning will rub off on you. Though when you consider most people are ignorant idiots, who don't bother to read anything and hold opinions based of zero actual knowledge, it's kind of a stretch to think it actually would.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@ribstaylor1: Again you know all that privacy stuff can be turned off right? Microsoft has always collected information from their users- this isn't a new thing.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

@ribstaylor1: No i agree with your first statement. At least in the sense of there is a huge problem with privacy on the internet. However the issues of privacy that most consider a deal breaker, can be disabled in windows 10, and the others can't be avoided on any relevant windows OS. It's totally fine for you or anyone to stick with the OS that's best for you, but it's doesn't sound like "Reason and logical thinking" to demonize an OS that is finally a step in the right direction for most users.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Curlyfrii87 said:

@ribstaylor1: No i agree with your first statement. At least in the sense of there is a huge problem with privacy on the internet. However the issues of privacy that most consider a deal breaker, can be disabled in windows 10, and the others can't be avoided on any relevant windows OS. It's totally fine for you or anyone to stick with the OS that's best for you, but it's doesn't sound like "Reason and logical thinking" to demonize an OS that is finally a step in the right direction for most users.

and everything else on the internet does the same privacy stuff, only worse. The only winning move is to not use the internet. Anyone complaining about privacy and still using public internet sites and media is wasting their breath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@wis3boi said:
@Curlyfrii87 said:

and everything else on the internet does the same privacy stuff, only worse. The only winning move is to not use the internet. Anyone complaining about privacy and still using public internet sites and media is wasting their breath

This is so true! You can use some extensions like Ad Blocker Plus and Ghostery to minimize these privacy risks, but they will always be there.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

For a long time, MS-developed and published games worked with almost all versions of Windows from Win 95 to Win 8.1 and that's without the games being patched, ever. These games included the Close Combat series plus Combat Flight Simulator 1 and 2.

Win 10 is the first Windows version where the older MS games didn't work. I wouldn't gripe if the games didn't work on their own. But, I feel, it was deliberate on MS' part.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

Privacy that's why. Windows 10 won't be put on to any of my machines. I'll probably regulate using windows 10 onto a separate SSD not hooked up to my pc for games like Star citizen in DX12 besides that I won't be housing it in any of my permanent drives. IMO the shit they force me to agree too is a step in a direction I'm unwilling to support, I don't like how phones have done this kind of shit so why would I now support this in a Desktop operating system. And just because I turn a few toggles off doesn't erase the fact I would have all ready gave them permissions in the EULA. And what's to stop them if I delete the code doing the spying, from forcing it back in when they do their now forced updates?

I also don't see why advertisers wanting to better sell me shit, is my problem. I don't like advertisements, and don't care to be advertised too, so I find zero worth in allowing them to know, how and when I do anything with my technology. People need to start asking themselves, do you want every corporation to know everything about you? Because that's where shit like windows 10 and googles Android privacy policies will lead us.

Are you talking about the data collection or all that BS that people made up about Microsoft able to enter into your PC and disable programs (because it was all a lie for clickbait in case you didn't know).

@jun_aka_pekto said:

. But, I feel, it was deliberate on MS' part.

It's not deliberate. Maybe because Win10 is built on a completely new infrastructure/backbone. If MS spent time testing every single game for the past 30 years then it wouldn't release the next Windows till 2089. Hopefully someone finds a fix for those specific titles.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@FelipeInside said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

It's not deliberate. Maybe because Win10 is built on a completely new infrastructure/backbone. If MS spent time testing every single game for the past 30 years then it wouldn't release the next Windows till 2089. Hopefully someone finds a fix for those specific titles.

What is the big difference between Windows 10 and Windows 8.1?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@FelipeInside said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

What is the big difference between Windows 10 and Windows 8.1?

Not much really unless the 8.1 menu really bothers you, and you don't care about the new features.

Win10 basically has taken all the best from 7 and 8 and combined it into one.

Only upgrade if

1) you want to have the latest Windows

2) you want to have the "last" Windows according to MS

3) you use the Store Apps

4) you want to have DirectX12 ready for any upcoming games

If none of this interest you, you don't need to upgrade. I did cause my OS was due for a reinstall anyway.

Bravo632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bravo632
Member since 2015 • 207 Posts

Hate Win10? Why? It works fine for me so far, can't complain.

My only issue is with Edge browser, it acts a bit funny on Gamespot forums for some reason, where I can't scroll pages in a normal responsive way. Not sure what lead causes that but then again, I have Chrome and Firefox.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

No reason to switch. I love how people jump on new releases like its the greatest thing.

Performance isnt really any better and I see no reason to switch to DX12 / Win10 until theres a fleet of dx12 games

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

"I value my privacy" **goes to Facebook**

@ribstaylor1 said:

Irrational fear and paranoia. You gotz it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

@dxmcat said:

No reason to switch. I love how people jump on new releases like its the greatest thing.

Performance isnt really any better and I see no reason to switch to DX12 / Win10 until theres a fleet of dx12 games

People don't just switch because of gaming you know.

dwispa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dwispa
Member since 2014 • 199 Posts

That's no tinfoil hat. It's well known fact that internet privacy in the US is severely lacking compared to Europe. There are so many things that companies like Microsoft and Facebook can get away with in the US that they can't do in Europe.

@Curlyfrii87 said:

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@dxmcat said:

The good thing is that Vulkan works on Windows 7 and Source 2, Frostbite, and UE 4 are likely to support it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

@dwispa said:

That's no tinfoil hat. It's well known fact that internet privacy in the US is severely lacking compared to Europe. There are so many things that companies like Microsoft and Facebook can get away with in the US that they can't do in Europe.

@Curlyfrii87 said:

Really, because the same version of Windows 10 is available in Europe. It just has a few extra options at the start that asks if you want another browser or stuff like that.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jun_aka_pekto

@FelipeInside said:

Not much really unless the 8.1 menu really bothers you, and you don't care about the new features.

Win10 basically has taken all the best from 7 and 8 and combined it into one.

That's what mean. Codewise, I don't see much difference between Win 8.1 and Win 10.

CFS2, CFS3, and Close Combat 2 installs and runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win 8.1. Yet, on Win 10, they will only run on the 32-bit version.

I mean, you may be right. But, the above is reason enough for me to be suspicious.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Because people always have to bitch about something when it comes to their computer.

I may be a little jaded from working tech support for a few years, but the general populace is always going to find something to complain about. The same people whining about Windows 10 right now have probably whined with every OS upgrade they've gotten, until they realize no one is listening.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ribstaylor1

@FelipeInside: Just data collection.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dxmcat

@FelipeInside said:
@dxmcat said:

People don't just switch because of gaming you know.

Oh yea sorry, forgot we were on GAMEspot.

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xisiuizado
Member since 2014 • 592 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:
Internet hipsters. I blame internet hipsters.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

@ribstaylor1 said:

@FelipeInside: Just data collection.

You can turn it all off if it bothers you. There are guides on the internet.

@dxmcat said:

Oh yea sorry, forgot we were on GAMEspot.

Yes, and do you think people on this site just use their OS only for gaming?

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dxmcat

Gotta love the heroes of the net who are out there to save everyone.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ribstaylor1

@FelipeInside: Toggling a setting doesn't mean you've stopped them from having the right to do so. By agreeing to the original EULA you've given them permission to do these things no matter if you switch the settings in windows or not. A legally binding agreement holds more weight then an off and on button in windows.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FelipeInside

@ribstaylor1 said:

@FelipeInside: Toggling a setting doesn't mean you've stopped them from having the right to do so. By agreeing to the original EULA you've given them permission to do these things no matter if you switch the settings in windows or not. A legally binding agreement holds more weight then an off and on button in windows.

Part of the agreement is that you have the option to turn it off (disagree with sending information). The agreement doesn't say "it is forced upon you with no settings available.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

I'm a big gamer and all of my games work fine on Windows 10. It literally combines the best features of 8.1 and 7 into one great operating system. People hated on Windows 8 so much, but in reality on a pure performance level it completely outclassed Windows 7. The people who hated on Windows 8 were the people that either knew nothing about tech or too lazy to figure it out. Windows 10 is great bottom line and it is truly Microsoft's best OS.

MonkeyDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonkeyDot
Member since 2015 • 106 Posts

@xisiuizado said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

Internet hipsters. I blame internet hipsters.

There are reasonable worries about data collection. They abuse that quite a bit.

ohara1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ohara1974
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts

I absolutely hate this POS OS!!!! Not only did Microsoft cost me money repairing the black screen during the forced malware installation, it cost me 20yrs of Organization in MY laptop, its MY LAPTOP not MS,though someone needs to tell Microsoft that it belongs to me! I have NEVER had an issue moving Operating systems for one PC or Laptop and migrating photos and documents to another like I have with windows 10!

20yrs! of photos are a discombobulated mess!

If this OS is so great, tell me where my photos are on the hard drive? Tell me how to remove them from the abomination photo app, and put them where I want to. I bet you can't, because it can not be done, unless you pull up powershell and delete all the Bloatware/spyware.

All the crapware can be deleted except for the Special Agent in charge of spying; known as Cortana, Edge is just another spy tool that no one uses anyway; well until MS figures out how to crame that down my throat too.

I bought a brand new HP laptop running 7, 1st act was to download Never10 to block that albatross. When MS decides to poison the well of Windows 7 updates to force people to 10 Ill buy a Mac Book. NEVER/EVER 10 worst operating system ever!

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

No issues with win10 on my gaming pc so far, been using it for over a year now. It's trendy to hate it so there's that.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

@ohara1974 said:

I absolutely hate this POS OS!!!! Not only did Microsoft cost me money repairing the black screen during the forced malware installation, it cost me 20yrs of Organization in MY laptop, its MY LAPTOP not MS,though someone needs to tell Microsoft that it belongs to me! I have NEVER had an issue moving Operating systems for one PC or Laptop and migrating photos and documents to another like I have with windows 10!

20yrs! of photos are a discombobulated mess!

If this OS is so great, tell me where my photos are on the hard drive? Tell me how to remove them from the abomination photo app, and put them where I want to. I bet you can't, because it can not be done, unless you pull up powershell and delete all the Bloatware/spyware.

All the crapware can be deleted except for the Special Agent in charge of spying; known as Cortana, Edge is just another spy tool that no one uses anyway; well until MS figures out how to crame that down my throat too.

I bought a brand new HP laptop running 7, 1st act was to download Never10 to block that albatross. When MS decides to poison the well of Windows 7 updates to force people to 10 Ill buy a Mac Book. NEVER/EVER 10 worst operating system ever!

You need to give up on technology if that's how you react with simple changes.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

I've had no issues with Win10, at least none that I haven't had with Win7.

I've yet to receive any spam email because I use common sense on the internet, and I don't think my privacy is being invaded.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

Please no resurrection of old topics like this.