Who is excited about Half-Life 2: Episode Three? Raise your hand!

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

EDIT: The "Raise Your Hand" bit is supposed to be like how Owen Wilson says it in The Darjeeling Limited...

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
"raises both hands"
crazyfist36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 crazyfist36
Member since 2003 • 574 Posts

yea im excited.about as excited as i am when someone whose aiming a gun at me is about to pull the trigger.

seriously though episode 3 is going to have to be gargantuan because in my humble opinion the last two episodes were rubbish.Dismal expansion packs.but yea im looking forward to what they do with the game and the engine.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 biggest_loser
There is nothing wrong with the episodes... :?
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I think both episodes are very poor compared with Half Life 2, and I would be indifferent about Episode 3 except for the fact that there's a distinct possibility that the portal gun is going to be in there.

Any game with that gun is automatically awesome.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 biggest_loser
What is poor about them? Its the same game play only much, much tighter?
solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
I enjoyed the Episodes as much as HL2. I liked all the new things that were brought in and being chased and all the vortigons (spelling?). I can't wait for Episode 3 :D
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 biggest_loser

If anything the episodes are better than HL2! As I said they are just "tighter".

Like in HL2 that water boat section went on forever. In EP2 you have a much more compressed and enjoyable time with the vehicles!!

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19550 Posts
I'd say that HL2: Episode 2 was the best game in the series, so I'm definitely excited about the 'final' episode in this story arc.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

What is poor about them? Its the same game play only much, much tighter? biggest_loser

It wasn't the same gameplay at all.

Half Life 2 had constantly shifting scenario. You began with the melancholy exploration of a 1984 style dystopia, then you're in a crazy escape from the law, then you're speeding down a waterway in a hovercraft, you're creeping around a horror movie style ghost town, you're using a giant industrial crane to crush the combine, playing catch with a giant robot dog, you're in your own version of the movie Tremors, you're storming a prison with a team of giant insectoid monsters...

Half Life 2 has bad gunplay. It's just bad. The AI is utterl awful - in fact, Half Life 1 has better AI, and definitely better gunplay. Most of the weapons aren't much fun to shoot, either. I thik HL2 is so amazing because of the way you're doing so many different things in so many different ways. I was always wondering just what was going to happen next. I feel that the gunplay is almost incidental, and I barely consider HL2 a first person shooter. It transcends the genre with its diversity.

The episodes, however, are definitely first person shooters. There's a very strong focus on gunplay - and I find that easily the weakest thing in Half Life 2 - and most of that gunplay plays out in generic scenarios which are just recycled versions of stuff we saw in Half Life 2 anyway.

There's also very little in the way of cool scenario stuff. There are a couple of cool set pieces in Ep 1 and the ending of Ep 2 is pretty great, but in an eight hour experience, three cool moments just doesn't cut it. Not when all of HL2 was amazing. There's also far too many physics "puzzles" in the episodes, and they stink. The first quarter of Episode 2 was basically just running through extremely narrow, extremely linear caverns, engaging in occasional combat which is at best mediocre, and then a ton of those godawful physics puzzles.

Now, don't get me wrong - I think both episodes are still great games. They just aren't Half Life 2. I get the feeling that Valve has just run out of steam, so to speak. But the possibility of the portal gun in Ep 3 has me excited. It could make the experience absolutely amazing and, more importantly, unique. After two episodes which were basically recycled versions of a much better game, it's exactly what we need.

I'm sure, if you reply to this, you will bring up the story, the storytelling and the emotional impact. I don't care. It's a computer game. I love great stories, especially when they're well told, but not if it comes at the expense of gameplay. The episodes are both fine, but they are not Half Life 2.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#11 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

Raises hand.

I just want to finish the story.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Not intrested
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Oh yes, I'm looking forward to Episode 3!

Mfsa's comments are pretty good IMO. I'd differ slightly though in that I feel Episode 1 is the weak link in the series while Episode 2 gave me about the same highs in enjoyment (albeit less in quantity) as the original.

I loved HL2 when it first came out, one of my favorite games of all time. Bought Episode 1 when it first came out, I started the game and never actually felt compelled to finish it until right before playing Episode 2. Now, I believe that initial reaction was a misjudgement on Episode 1, it's better than that, however, IMO in the end all said and done it still felt like weakest link in the series (still good of course).

Episode 2 forceably pulled me right back into the series in top form though and now I highly wait for Episode 3! :D Yeah, the linear caverns are merely OK, however, the ending was incredibly fun!!! Also, I'm going to let you guys in on something ultra-geeky :P I really dug the car in Episode 2, I thought it rocked :) The combination of looks, throaty-growl engine sounds, driver/passenger aspect, I don't know, I found it very appealing and fun to use, more so than the vehicles in HL2 original. Hey, people can like the companion cube right...I liked Episode 2's car :P

Anyway, absolutely, looking forward to next episode and the use of the Portal gun in Episode 3 can sweeten the deal!

PaulBoscu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PaulBoscu
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

For me the reason I look forward to Episode 3 is the storyline,as it will be the final installment in the episodic series it will probably give us a lot of the missing puzzles.I just hope Valve doesn't screw things up right at the end:roll:

xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xmen1414
Member since 2006 • 1948 Posts
i loved ep. 1 i thought the super G. gun was awesome throwing guys around
filmography

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 filmography
Member since 2004 • 3202 Posts
I'm looking forward to it.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I'm looking foward to it. After the ending of Episode 2, I really want to know what happens!
Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts
Idk I really loved Epi. 2 I liked it better then HL2...so yeah I'm excited /raises hand ....now what kinda box should we use? :p
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts

*raises three hands and a foot*

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Like in HL2 that water boat section went on forever.

biggest_loser

I thought it lasted just the right amount of time. Not too long, not too short. I liked that you got to spend a good bit of time learning how to handle it. Plus, it's not like you were stuck in it for the whole duration, there were areas where you had to get out and do something on foot to get to something or to continue further in the boat.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
*raises three hands*
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
*raises hand*
Foreward66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Foreward66
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts
**** yes i am! but i hope they release it solo without any ****ing portal or team fortress
Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts
Yeah, sure, why not? *raises hand*
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 biggest_loser
Excellent, mwahah.
TheRedStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheRedStrike
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts
Not that interested :/
Dopemonk736

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dopemonk736
Member since 2006 • 2731 Posts
The episode layout is bull. "Oh yeah, let's just make short games in episodic format, but release them in in short periods of time, except let's take forever to release them and piss our whole gaming community off, just so they can hate us even more."
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 biggest_loser

The episode layout is bull. "Oh yeah, let's just make short games in episodic format, but release them in in short periods of time, except let's take forever to release them and piss our whole gaming community off, just so they can hate us even more."Dopemonk736

This is no place for haters...and for your information I doubt you could find a more polished game chuck.

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

I think both episodes are very poor compared with Half Life 2, and I would be indifferent about Episode 3 except for the fact that there's a distinct possibility that the portal gun is going to be in there.

Any game with that gun is automatically awesome.

mfsa

*possible spoilers*

Episode 1 was definately not as good as hl2, but I was very impressed by episode 2. It improved the texture resolutions, the lighting, the AI, character expression, and the gameplay was on the same level as hl2 if not better. Fighting antlions with the vortigons was extreamly cool, and the strider battle at the end was amazing. It's the most fun I've ever had in a half life game.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 biggest_loser
I dont see why EP1 gets such a bad rap. How can you expect it to be as good as HL2 when it is merely 1 episode - as I have been saying, its a tighter game. The pacing is better.
astor47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 astor47
Member since 2005 • 849 Posts
*Lowers Hand*
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 biggest_loser
Where the devil is that going!! Speak at once you fiend!
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
*raises hand* i love hl2, love episode 1, and love episode 2!
franklinBluth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 franklinBluth
Member since 2008 • 313 Posts

EDIT: The "Raise Your Hand" bit is supposed to be like how Owen Wilson says it in The Darjeeling Limited...

biggest_loser

* raises hand, extends middle finger *

The HL:2 franchise was destroyed when they decided to make it 'action-on-tracks' script fest with no AI and a non-existant story.

franklinBluth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 franklinBluth

Half Life 2 has bad gunplay. It's just bad. The AI is utterl awful - in fact, Half Life 1 has better AI, and definitely better gunplay. Most of the weapons aren't much fun to shoot, either. mfsa

Thanks for summing up why I am done with the half-life series. It's just not F.U.N.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
What is poor about them? Its the same game play only much, much tighter? biggest_loser
yeah i dont c y people are hating on episodes 1 and 2 both where great only they where shorter and im really anxiously awaiting for eps 3
pdkkbarnes1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pdkkbarnes1
Member since 2003 • 391 Posts
episode 1 was an average game. Episode 2 was far better and has gotten me excited about the series again.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 biggest_loser

I dont want to hear haters! I am asking who is excited about the new installment in this great series!

Also! Who liked the reference to the Darjeeling Limited! Raise your hand!!

Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

NEED MOAR PORTAL.

Really I just want it to end. I don't know how they are going to wrap it all up in such a short game, even if they leave some for future games.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 biggest_loser

Wrap it all up? Its not a novel you know.

Who is G-Man, what does he want with Gordon and Alyx.

Who are the combine - connection to G-Man.

Its not that much. I suspect ol' G-Man was a scientist for one of the companies like Aperture, Black Mesa. In EP2 where you watch the transmission from judith there is a photo on the wall with Gordon and some others. One of them looks like G-man.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

[QUOTE="mfsa"]Half Life 2 has bad gunplay. It's just bad. The AI is utterl awful - in fact, Half Life 1 has better AI, and definitely better gunplay. Most of the weapons aren't much fun to shoot, either. franklinBluth

Thanks for summing up why I am done with the half-life series. It's just not F.U.N.

Odd as it may sound, there's more to having fun in shooters than, well, shooting.

Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts
I didn't mean that there was a lot of stuff unanswered, but what is unexplained is pretty huge. It could easily feel anti-climatic if it is rushed.
franklinBluth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 franklinBluth
[QUOTE="franklinBluth"]

[QUOTE="mfsa"]Half Life 2 has bad gunplay. It's just bad. The AI is utterl awful - in fact, Half Life 1 has better AI, and definitely better gunplay. Most of the weapons aren't much fun to shoot, either. JP_Russell

Odd as it may sound, there's more to having fun in shooters than, well, shooting.

Agreed. That's why I love Max Payne 2 - it's pure art!

doctor_kaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 184

#44 doctor_kaz
Member since 2002 • 3340 Posts
Ehhh. I'm kinda taking a "wait and see" approach to this episode. Episodes 1 and 2 were both fun at times but too short and very poorly paced. Especially Episode 1. That first hour or so of Ep 1 where you are solving gravity gun puzzles is not much fun. Episode 1 got ridiculously fun once you got out of the citadel and above ground but by then you're half done and there's only an hour and a half or so left. :| The first hour of Episode 2 is pretty dull too and they overdid the story scenes (which are essentially cut scenes that you can't skip). I agree with the earlier poster who is not a huge fan of the puzzles anymore. The physics puzzles were a great novelty in Half-Life 2 when Havok physics was still new, but they kind of get in the way now. The formula is getting a bit stale and the surprises are getting more predictable, like when headcrab zombies play possum and get off the ground to attack you.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts

If anything the episodes are better than HL2! As I said they are just "tighter".

Like in HL2 that water boat section went on forever. In EP2 you have a much more compressed and enjoyable time with the vehicles!!

biggest_loser

Maybe it was the looseness of Half Life 2 I enjoyed? That or it was just the whole section of the story, Gordon coming out of stasis to an oppresses world. He has to fight his way to the rebel research facility only to be attacked and separated. Then he has to fight his way out and he starts a gigantic earth-wide rebellion. Idk.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

biggest_loser, the question isn't "Who is excited about Half-Life 2: Episode Three," it is "Who isn't excited about Half-Life 2: Episode 3"

:P

purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts
definitely anticipating its release :D
GoodkupoBan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GoodkupoBan
Member since 2006 • 646 Posts
I had to drink 3 cans of Red Bull, but I could finally raise my hand.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

Raises both hands, both feet.

Ya, I am very excited. Feel my nipples.

Anyway, as for the quality of the episodes, I think its half and half: Episode 1 was amazing, but it was so freaking short and some of the gameplay decisions (I hated the whole flashlight part with Alyx) were terrible. Episode 2 I thought was better than HL2 itself; I dont think Ive ever experienced emotions like that in a video game EVER! And the gameplay was simply amazing.

Avatar image for MIYAMOTOnext007
MIYAMOTOnext007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MIYAMOTOnext007
Member since 2006 • 3061 Posts
*raises whole body* I'm more excited for it than anything. Hopefully some major secrets get revealed.