Who here thinks Burning Crusade killed WoW?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

*RE4FREAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 *RE4FREAK
Member since 2005 • 791 Posts
I remember before last fall, everyone being 60 and doing the 40 man raids with your guild and such. And you almost thought you could be a really really fully epiced and be popular. but then BC cameout. everyone tried to race to 70. People wouldnt even sleep till they got to 70, i really think it ruined it because you couldnt be casual and still be good. But their is always gonna be those freaks who live in their parents basement at age 40 that is always going to be better
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

I remember before last fall, everyone being 60 and doing the 40 man raids with your guild and such. And you almost thought you could be a really really fully epiced and be popular. but then BC cameout. everyone tried to race to 70. People wouldnt even sleep till they got to 70, i really think it ruined it because you couldnt be casual and still be good. But their is always gonna be those freaks who live in their parents basement at age 40 that is always going to be better
RE4freak

World of Warcraft was already dead. It was already at rock bottom because Blizzard designed the end-game so horribly. So technically, it can only get better from here at this point...

Hate Blizzard, so damn much.

niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 niko44
Member since 2004 • 2281 Posts
I had more fun at 60 than 70 honestly.
mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mikemil828
Member since 2003 • 7024 Posts

RE4freak

40 man raids aren't really casual content. That's why there aren't any in BC.

Essentially what happened is that people like you guys just made the game not fun for yourself, pushing yourself to acheive greater and greater feats until you burned yourself out.

SonKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SonKev
Member since 2007 • 552 Posts
It did kill WoW.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
IMO what killed Wow were the patches that added new 40 man dungeons, thus making gear the only way to progress in the game. BWL, AQ and Naxx are just some of the things I never visited as a long-time WoW player, because of my real life schedule and were added only cause the hardcore players whined and moaned about it.
Nucking_Futs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nucking_Futs
Member since 2003 • 62 Posts
Well I'm not sure if it killed it, but i had the most fun raiding at 60, some of my greatest gaming memories were from 40 man raids. Although easier to organize, I didnt get the same social enjoyment out of the smaller raid focus in the Burning Crusade. Although, if you didnt have a great guild full of your friends and you were just in raiding for the gear, I guess the 40 mans weren't as enjoyable as they were for me.
blackjack1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blackjack1425
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts
How is WoW dead it has like 8million people playing it lol
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I think they tried to appeal to the casual gamers more with BC, but since they already pissed those people off they had no chance of getting them back. With the BC they only hurt the hardcore gamers. Luckly I quit long before all that. =) enjoy blizzard.
nathris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nathris
Member since 2006 • 171 Posts

Actually Blizz did a great job with TBC, they showed that they have really improved their questing. Actually I think expansions in general killed WoW. Now all they do is focus on endgame and they've left everything below level 58 to stagnate. The game just isn't fun anymore, and its not worth grinding your way through days of old content just to enjoy the newer stuff. I'm sure the hardcore players loved it, but not casual players like myself who just can't spend hours a day for several months killing mobs just to keep up with the level caps. They need to go back and redo some of the lower level areas and add more varied places to level. I mean, they admitted it themselves when they were making Elwynn Forest they could only do 3 types of quests: Kill X Monsters, Collect X Items, and Bring Item X to Character Y. They need to go back and add stuff like Murloc invasions or at least something scripted. And maybe some more graphical detail aswell.

Basically my point is they aren't going to attract any new customers when they are forcing them to play through content that is several years old just to get to something new. It wasn't the expansion itself that killed WoW, I personally think it was Wrath that killed it, even though its not out yet, at least TBC offered new races and starting areas. All Wrath adds is a new class for the people who have already played the game for years or have absolutely no life.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40236 Posts

How is WoW dead it has like 8million people playing it lolblackjack1425

I'm glad someone pointed that out. Dead? Not even close.

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts
WoW killed itslef with its lack of freedom. What's an RPG with so much constraint???
nathris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nathris
Member since 2006 • 171 Posts

[QUOTE="blackjack1425"]How is WoW dead it has like 8million people playing it lolJohnny_Rock

Ok, let me rephrase it then... Lifeless.. Torpid?

And of course the number will keep increasing, the game still sells, but more and more people are quitting and soon it will enter negative growth and unless they do something drastic will die like so many other MMOs

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

I had more fun at 60 than 70 honestly.niko44

DITTO.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
I don't play WOW, but doesn't it have more subscribers than ever. If you're market is increasing you can hardly say it's dead, or dying.
pardue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pardue
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts
As a casual player in World of Warcraft, you must accept two things to enjoy this game. I understood these before i purchased the game in 2004. 1) You can not play casually and be uber hakzorz. 2) Accept Mediocrity. As a casual player of this game off and on for the past three years I have made peace with my character having so so gear. Which has not hindered me in any fashion from having fun in PvP or PvE.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

As a casual player in World of Warcraft, you must accept two things to enjoy this game. I understood these before i purchased the game in 2004. 1) You can not play casually and be uber hakzorz. 2) Accept Mediocrity. As a casual player of this game off and on for the past three years I have made peace with my character having so so gear. Which has not hindered me in any fashion from having fun in PvP or PvE. pardue

seriously doubt the PvP stuff is any fun with mediocre gear.:|

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts

I had more fun at 60 than 70 honestly.niko44

Same here, but i mainly stop playing due to basically doing the same thing for 2 years got kind of boring and the benefit wasn't really worth it. WoW is a cool game, but when you play it for 2 years you just need to stop lol. The game is far from dead tho.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

[QUOTE="blackjack1425"]How is WoW dead it has like 8million people playing it lolJohnny_Rock

Yeah, and I can garantee you 4 million of those people are complete utter noobs to the world of gaming, so it doesn't even really count.

However it will be officially dead when Warhammer rolls in. Maybe even Age of Conan.

sabbath2gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sabbath2gamer
Member since 2007 • 2515 Posts
haha just wait for the new one and reaching 80 im personally waiting for warhammer:)
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#22 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

TBC made WoW far less enjoyable for a large number of people. I will agree whole heartedly that I had WAY more fun raiding at level 60 than I did at 70. The reason - raiding was far more casual friendly before the expansion. The best way I heard it put was that half a raid of semi-hardacore players could usually carry the other half (as long as they were moderatly skilled) through most raids up to and including BWL. You could run through MC, ZG, and BWL in a single night in about 3-4 hours.

Now they made raiding so stupidly complex that unless you have an enitre raid of experts who do nothing but devote their entire attention to the game for 4+ hours at a time several times a week you aren't going to get anywhere (being in a TBC era raiding guild I have experienced this repeatedly). Watching good friends who had real lives and used to get on on Wednesday and Saturday night to blow through ZG + Ony and MC or BWL start dropping like flys (including two of my best RL friends in the last month) really killed my enjoyment. The raids in TBC just seem to make normal people angry and bitter since it is such a chore and huge time investment to get anything down, whereas in pre-expansion raiding people used to have fun.

I just canceled my account, I wont be coming back hopefully. Ever since WoTK was announced people are getting stressed out and crazy since most of them think TBC was not what they had expectected or wanted in an expansion. TBC killed the enjoyment of the game for casual players and I don't think Blizzard can do anything to fix it at this point.

I am currently looking for something to eat up my free time until The Orange Box comes out next month. Dark Crusade is on Steam for $20, which looks like a lot of fun, and judgeing from the Galactic Assault demo it will be pretty enjoyable as well. I might even break down and buy Bioshock in another week or so once they get most of the major bugs worked out.