Who here actually replace the cooler on the GPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Horgen (116155 posts) -
I guess many here uses a third party cooler for their CPU, at least it seems so. However who here goes through the trouble of replacing the GPU cooler? Or do you just buy one with a 3rd party cooler already? Personally I have replaced the stock cooler on the CPU, however I have not replaced my GPU. It is a third party one, MSI Twin Frozr III.
#2 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

I don't think many options are available when compared with the huge variety of CPU coolers available.

#3 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
I've replaced my CPU cooler, but never attempted it with my GPU. I've tended to buy GPUs with better cooling than the reference card. My current one is a GTX 670 from Gigabyte with the Windforce 3X cooler. the only instance I would think would make me look into replacing the GPU cooler is if I went liquid cooling, but while it has tempted me, I still have to get my mind over the paranoia of putting liquids around my PC components :)
#4 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -
I always get cards with non-reference coolers, so there's not much point in me changing the coolers on them (unless I were to go water cooling).
#5 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22028 posts) -

I guess many here uses a third party cooler for their CPU, at least it seems so. However who here goes through the trouble of replacing the GPU cooler? Or do you just buy one with a 3rd party cooler already? Personally I have replaced the stock cooler on the CPU, however I have not replaced my GPU. It is a third party one, MSI Twin Frozr III. horgen123

Only when the stock cooler quits working like what happened with my old GF4 Ti-4200 (back in 2005).

#6 Posted by 04dcarraher (22757 posts) -
Ive replaced my coolers on my 8800GT's back in 2008 with Thermaltake DuOrbs and temperatures and noise dropped quite abit too. Those single slot coolers just wasn't enough for the gpu.
#7 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
I always get cards with non-reference coolers, so there's not much point in me changing the coolers on them (unless I were to go water cooling).C_Rule
Same here.
#8 Posted by LordEC911 (9972 posts) -

I don't think many options are available when compared with the huge variety of CPU coolers available.

kraken2109

Back in the day, there used to be quite a wide variety but with the rise in power consumption and the focus on cool and quiet cards there isn't much of a market unless you are going with a custom H20 loop.

#9 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

I've done it in the past, just not with my current one, it is not too hard, but it is a little tougher than replacing the cpu cooler

#10 Posted by waldo6 (122 posts) -

I used to replace the gpu coolers (with termaltake and accelero coolers) but with non reference designs getting better and better i dont think is really needed anymore.

#15 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
I've thought about it, but for me when I only buy midrange GPU's spending $70-100 on a 3rd party heatsink + fans doesn't sound too appealing when that money could be going to a new card.
#16 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
I do, if the stock one is super noise. It's no harder than a cpu cooler.
#17 Posted by Horgen (116155 posts) -
I've thought about it, but for me when I only buy midrange GPU's spending $70-100 on a 3rd party heatsink + fans doesn't sound too appealing when that money could be going to a new card.General_X
You're right about that. But if you first have a LCloop, doing it isn't so expensive.
#18 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24599 posts) -
there aren't any real options anymore not that any of them are actually any good since the reference heatsink is usually the most reliable anyway
#19 Posted by comp_atkins (34245 posts) -
i replaced the stock cooler on my old 8800gtx with a water block back when i was using it.
#20 Posted by Horgen (116155 posts) -
i replaced the stock cooler on my old 8800gtx with a water block back when i was using it. comp_atkins
Was it difficult?