Who got it? how good is it? Sins of a Solar Empire

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

I'm in the U.K. So i cant buy it yet, i have 2meg broadband so dont wanna download it lol. I really really want this game.

Come one, tell all, how good is it? make me sick with jealousy.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Frozzik
Guess people are too busy playing it lol
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
Ive been playing it for awhile now and almost fell asleep....twice. The AI and optimization is not really that good but the graphics are ok I guess.
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
It's a great game. Check out the other thread where MFSA gives a great explaination. Also, ignore Angel. He has been trolling the Sins forums for several days now and wants to slam it any way he can. As for his claims, the graphics are nice looking but some may find it empty as you are in space...go figure. As for the AI, it is very intelligent and will challenge you even on medium settings. They don't gang up on you like most games but fight with each other, offer you missions to improve their respect for you and offer you treaties (Trade, alliances, ship view, etc). The optimization is also very well done. This game can easily be run on a Radeon 9600 and a Nvidia 6600. Which means this game can be run on a system that is over 3 years old.....kinda rare these days.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
How long do the average games last? (For those of us who don't have an enternity to spend playing).
DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

How long do the average games last? (For those of us who don't have an enternity to spend playing).Swiftstrike5

What would be the average map size you will be playing on? 10 planets, 20, 50, 1000? It can range from a couple hours to months.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I'm in the UK as well, and I got my copy through Stardock's online store. If you have (or have access to) an international credit card or a Paypal account, you can get yourself both the digital copy and a boxed copy for about $70 - that includes postage to the UK. I got an American friend to buy it for me. Early birthday present.

If you want to know how Sins plays, my post here sums it up quite well. It's neither an RTS nor a TBS, but somewhere inbetween - leaning towards TBS, though. It's immersive and fun. In addition to the video in the linked post, check this out. It's a little dark, but it shows off the combat quite well.

In short, if you've read up on the game, and you think you'll like it, you will like it. A lot.

mpzork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mpzork
Member since 2003 • 1139 Posts
I just got it yesterday and have been having a lot of fun playing it. It is like civ4 and homeworld had a baby. My only gripe is the flat 2d playing field but ive still been having a lot of fun.
bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts

How long do the average games last? (For those of us who don't have an enternity to spend playing).Swiftstrike5

Mfsa pretty much sums up how good sins is. But swift if you dont have a lot of times stick to small maps, if those are too big for you(on SP it is taking me ~2 hours to win) you could try making a map via in game map designer(very easy and simple to use) and make a really small map with around 4-5 planets, maybe even smaller. Sins is very customizable to your needs and interests.

As said before ignore angel...he is a huge troll, ask him why he makes these comments and he conviently doesn't reply and later trolls in another thread.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

I am having a lot of fun with it so far. I played for 3 hours straight.

Normally I don't do that with games.

darkmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darkmario123
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts

I'm in the U.K. So i cant buy it yet, i have 2meg broadband so dont wanna download it lol. I really really want this game.

Come one, tell all, how good is it? make me sick with jealousy.

Frozzik

You can buy the game from the game's website. They will give you the digital version AND ship you a hard copy of the game.

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts

Think of the most boring game you have ever played........ it's more boring than that.catlin_czirr

That is because....? jeez more trolls are breeded everytday.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
It's like nothing you've likely played in years, and simply wonderful. My GS friends, and I are starting to do some bigger matches soon... really need to build my bro and my GF a better PC so they can jump in as well.
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I really can't go with everyone elses opinions on this game. I was bored to tears, so many other rts games that are much better to play. If yahtzee were to do a review of this game it would be hilarious.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mfsa

I really can't go with everyone elses opinions on this game. I was bored to tears, so many other rts games that are much better to play. If yahtzee were to do a review of this game it would be hilarious.A1B2C3CAL

It's not an RTS. You shouldn't think of it like an RTS. You shouldn't play it like an RTS. If that's how people are looking at it, it's going to tank in the reviews. It's a real time representation of a turn based game. It's Civilization without the end turn button.

Yahtzee could make a funny review of it, but not a very accurate one. Despite his clear intelligence, he's into quite simple, undemanding games. He seems happier with Mario than with Civilization.

Getting Yahtzee to review a game like Sins would be pretty funny. I can imagine him describing it as a boring lesson in economics combined with another, more boring lesson in logistics. But getting Yahtzee to review a game like Sins would be like reading a dissertation on ontological empiricism written by an eight year old. It wouldn't be very accurate and it would be full of silly pictures.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

[QUOTE="A1B2C3CAL"]I really can't go with everyone elses opinions on this game. I was bored to tears, so many other rts games that are much better to play. If yahtzee were to do a review of this game it would be hilarious.mfsa

It's not an RTS. You shouldn't think of it like an RTS. You shouldn't play it like an RTS. If that's how people are looking at it, it's going to tank in the reviews. It's a real time representation of a turn based game. It's Civilization without the end turn button.

Yahtzee could make a funny review of it, but not a very accurate one. Despite his clear intelligence, he's into quite simple, undemanding games. He seems happier with Mario than with Civilization.

Getting Yahtzee to review a game like Sins would be pretty funny. I can imagine him describing it as a boring lesson in economics combined with another, more boring lesson in logistics. But getting Yahtzee to review a game like Sins would be like reading a dissertation on ontological empiricism written by an eight year old. It wouldn't be very accurate and it would be full of silly pictures.

Very true. Yahtzee did think The Witcher was overly complicated, after all, which is just hilarious.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Frozzik

I'm in the UK as well, and I got my copy through Stardock's online store. If you have (or have access to) an international credit card or a Paypal account, you can get yourself both the digital copy and a boxed copy for about $70 - that includes postage to the UK. I got an American friend to buy it for me. Early birthday present.

If you want to know how Sins plays, my post here sums it up quite well. It's neither an RTS nor a TBS, but somewhere inbetween - leaning towards TBS, though. It's immersive and fun. In addition to the video in the linked post, check this out. It's a little dark, but it shows off the combat quite well.

In short, if you've read up on the game, and you think you'll like it, you will like it. A lot.

mfsa

Thanks, i always enjoy reading your posts and this one just made me want the game more. Great post.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]Think of the most boring game you have ever played........ it's more boring than that.bignice12

That is because....? jeez more trolls are breeded everytday.

He and most people that are complaining have no right of doing so, because they pirated the game. Nobody makes a purchase without reading anything about the, if you read 1 preview of this game you'd know that this game has a slow pace and is much more similar to games like Civilization than C&C3.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Its ok I guess, it lacks teh depth of a TBS & lacks the flow of an RTS.

Its a hybrid , jack of all trades master of none, its all-round too simplistic for the scale.

BAsically, once youve played 1 game, youve played them all.

Havnt tried Multiplayer yet though, only difference likely is players will turn on you for no reason :P

--Ryu--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 --Ryu--
Member since 2008 • 232 Posts

Its a hybrid , jack of all trades master of none, its all-round too simplistic for the scale.

Havnt tried Multiplayer yet though, only difference likely is players will turn on you for no reason :P

Meu2k7

So the only difference between written lines of code and a human are that the human will turn on you for no reason?

*Note taken*

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

--Ryu--

So the only difference between written lines of code and a human are that the human will turn on you for no reason?

*Note taken*

You know what I meant, more Spontanius (SP?) and unpredictable naturally ... the game is so slow paced though you probably wouldnt notice a huge difference.

--Ryu--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 --Ryu--
[QUOTE="--Ryu--"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

Meu2k7

*Note taken*

You know what I meant, more Spontanius (SP?) and unpredictable naturally ... the game is so slow paced though you probably wouldnt notice a huge difference.

RTS battles are never fun against AI unless it is scripted single player campaigns like Command and Conquer. So now lets go back to your comment and replace that the only difference is that human players are spontaneous and unpredictable. This would then contradict your statement of "Basically, once you've played one game, you've played them all."
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mfsa
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="--Ryu--"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

--Ryu--

*Note taken*

RTS battles are never fun against AI unless it is scripted single player campaigns like Command and Conquer. So now lets go back to your comment and replace that the only difference is that human players are spontaneous and unpredictable. This would then contradict your statement of "Basically, once you've played one game, you've played them all."

Did you ever play Dawn of War? I'd say DoW has some pretty spectacular AI that's a lot of fun to play with.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

RTS battles are never fun against AI unless it is scripted single player campaigns like Command and Conquer.--Ryu--

Um... Yeah, maybe to you. The sole reason I play RTS games is for skirmish. I never play multiplayer, and campaign modes are usually only half as fun as skirmish at best in my experience. Granted there are a couple exceptions (Starcraft and WC3 with their AI that can command all five billion of their units in unison, while you're stuck with only being able to command twelve at a time), but most RTS games are much better in skirmish than anything else to me. That goes for C&C games like Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2, as well.

--Ryu--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 --Ryu--
[QUOTE="--Ryu--"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="--Ryu--"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

mfsa

*Note taken*

Did you ever play Dawn of War? I'd say DoW has some pretty spectacular AI that's a lot of fun to play with.

Yup, and the amount of fun I have with AI is minute compared to when I'm playing on LAN against real people. I'm just not a fan of playing against the AI unless; 1) I have no other choice. 2) People have gotten so good at it online that I can't even enjoy myself.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Interesting:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

"Installed Sins of a Solar Empire on the Night Engine yesterday, to see if it would be something we'd consider advertising. Uh... yes. Yes. Yes a thousand times over. This is why it's nice to work with a smaller company, because if they want to advertise something on your site, they're not pulling from some budget a year in advance of the game's release. Stardock sent a full, boxed retail copy of the title and asked if we'd be willing to promote that, as opposed to some theoretical game they might be making in the future. I'll talk more about it on Friday, but I am kind of bowled over by this thing. That someone would pay me to recommend a game as entertaining as Sins of a Solar Empire is really the most ridiculous kind of crap."

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Interesting:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

"Installed Sins of a Solar Empire on the Night Engine yesterday, to see if it would be something we'd consider advertising. Uh... yes. Yes. Yes a thousand times over. This is why it's nice to work with a smaller company, because if they want to advertise something on your site, they're not pulling from some budget a year in advance of the game's release. Stardock sent a full, boxed retail copy of the title and asked if we'd be willing to promote that, as opposed to some theoretical game they might be making in the future. I'll talk more about it on Friday, but I am kind of bowled over by this thing. That someone would pay me to recommend a game as entertaining as Sins of a Solar Empire is really the most ridiculous kind of crap."

_Pedro_

Very interesting indeed.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#29 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
I read asfm's post in its entirety, and I like what I see. I cannot wait to get this game. I say people who say this game is boring must be expecting a click-fest with fast battles and games that end in 20 minutes. If you're in this camp, prepare to be disappointed. As for me, all along I've been expecting Sins to be somewhat similar to Fragile Allegiance - an old DOS game which happened to be my favourite game ever. FA was, in my opinion, the last successful attempt at combining epic 4X strategy with real-time gameplay. Games lasted for days or weeks, battles were huge and fought in multiples simultaneously, and there were a lot of automation to keep micromanagement down. If Sins is anything like FA, which according to asfm's post seems likely, then I don't think I'll be disappointed.
spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

Sins is fun, period.

There's already an update in the works to be released soon which should nerf the siege frigate spamathon. It'll also add numerous things to the game including new maps.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

Sins is fun, period.

There's already an update in the works to be released soon which should nerf the siege frigate spamathon. It'll also add numerous things to the game including new maps.

spierdalaj666

That's good to hear.

Anyway I've had a lot of fun with this game so far.

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

[QUOTE="A1B2C3CAL"]I really can't go with everyone elses opinions on this game. I was bored to tears, so many other rts games that are much better to play. If yahtzee were to do a review of this game it would be hilarious.mfsa

Kinda like a Master of Orion III then?