Who finished Far Cry 2? Does it get more interesting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

neillh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 neillh
Member since 2007 • 120 Posts

I couldn't wait to get Far Cry 2 and bought it on the day of release. For the first week thought it was great. But as has been said a lot it soon becomes very repetitive. I got about 6 hours in before losing interest. So for those of you who carried on, do things become better? Also does the 1.03 patch add much content, did they ever include predatory animals?

Cheers,

JTWibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JTWibble
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts
I also got the game on release and have put about 10 hours in, the long journey times killed it for me, I doubt anything special will happen later into the game.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

i hate Far Cry 2

JTWibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JTWibble
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts

i hate Far Cry 2

guildclaws
Me too, I will never understand why they called it Far Cry 2, considering it has zero connection to the first game.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

[QUOTE="guildclaws"]

i hate Far Cry 2

JTWibble

Me too, I will never understand why they called it Far Cry 2, considering it has zero connection to the first game.

i see you played far cry 2 for 10 hours and then got bored with the game, well i only play it 30 minutes

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#6 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
You got it on release, played it for six hours and you're only coming back to it now? Why now?!!
neillh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 neillh

I am not actually coming back to it right now, it's just sitting on the shelf, not installed. I'm just curious as I don't like not finishing games.

shutts15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shutts15
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Eventually you will need to choose a side. Throughout the game you will realise which side is good, and which is bad. You will need to eventually choose a side.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
I don't think I'll ever be able to finish it. The stupid design choices are insulting. Thinking of everything the game was set to be makes it even more difficult to play. This isn't helped by friends mentioning how it isn't worth bothering with the poor ending. Maybe if I stack trainers and no-clip my way through the map I might give it a go.
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Far Cry 2 is no more repetitive than GTA or Mercenaries. Neither of those have interesting stories - in fact - GTA stories are actually unappealing.

Far Cry 2 is a sandbox game that doesn't tell you how to make it interesting, you have to learn how to mix it up. It took me about 10 hours to realize I didn't have to fight at every checkpoint.

I like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

i can't finish it because of the bug where you can't complete a mission because a door won't open, i think its known a the "27%" glitch or something.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts
I finished it, I personally enjoyed it. It's only as fun as you make it. Try crazy raid tactics or try and create the biggest fire ever. That's where I had the most fun.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I thought it get better after it changed to the second act.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts
The connection is UBI making more money because of its name.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
It doesn't get any better.
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

Not anymore interesting. I played it for about 5 hours with nothing special happening.

DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

I also got the game on release and have put about 10 hours in, the long journey times killed it for me, I doubt anything special will happen later into the game.JTWibble

Ditto....I felt like a freakin cab driver...I recently picked this up cheap on STEAM and put about 3-4 hrs into it....got very borning for me, haven't played it since....very disappointing .....:(

*+

andrewt1187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 andrewt1187
Member since 2003 • 1524 Posts

It wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they just put some sorta respawn timer on those damn outposts. Like a week (ingame time) or something. I was really looking forward to FC2..too...

chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts

Far Cry 2 is no more repetitive than GTA or Mercenaries. Neither of those have interesting stories - in fact - GTA stories are actually unappealing.

Far Cry 2 is a sandbox game that doesn't tell you how to make it interesting, you have to learn how to mix it up. It took me about 10 hours to realize I didn't have to fight at every checkpoint.

I like it.

Born_Lucky

good for you, I pre ordered this with all the anticpations, but when I got it, just like people above mentioend, it was repeitive and boring.

When I purchase a game with so much hype, I expect much better thabn "you have to learn how to mix it up". Lot of game mechanics aim at "realism" such as gun jamming and wound healing with decent animation, but they implement it with so many annoyances. It was clearly obvious that they didnt QA right.

such a waste of money, the game itself had nothing to do with Far cry 1 and called it a sequel.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
I acually finished the game. While the story is unforgettable I did enjoy driving and boating around through most of the game while i played just looking at all the effort they had put into the environment. It doesn't ever really pick up but if you were like me I was able to stand the negative aspects and just enjoy the game for what it was.
pdkkbarnes1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pdkkbarnes1
Member since 2003 • 391 Posts

I really enjoyed the game but if you got bored early on then there is nothing later on that will make it better for you.

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

The game stays pretty much the same throughout until right towards the end where it takes a really weird twist.

It confused me a bit, but it was fairly fun.

As someone said, the game is repetitive, but you have to create your own fun, i'd say this isn't one of those games that holds your hand throughout but rather shoves you into Africa and tells you no more.

Sure it doesn't execute it that well, but it can be pretty fun.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

It gets less interesting, to be honest. Act 2's map is pretty poorly designed on the whole compared to act 1's, and the sense that the world is very static and lacking in truly compelling scenarios to take part in only sets in more and more deeply (which, granted, I feel is reinforced by the poorly designed Act 2 map, as it just makes all the things that were fun in varying doses before - stealthing, sniping, blowing stuff up, running and gunning, driving, finding diamonds, etc. - not as fun anymore). Also, in the second act you start to buy all the rest of the weapons at the gun shops, and it becomes pretty clear that the manner of the categorization of the weapons is disappointingly limiting if you like to outfit yourself in any number of ways for different missions (not to mention the lack of usefulness to quite a few of the weapons).

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

I like it.

Born_Lucky
I have to agree with what he said, its no more repettive that those games or assasin creed 2. By the first gameplay video of that E3 demo i knew the game would be like that. So to make it simple, no i wont get more interesting because thats how the game is, the fun in the game is on what you do and not the missions themselfts. Its what you do in them. To be honest at every chapter ending you experiance a nice plotwist. Ecpecially the last one was pretty shocking.
neillh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 neillh
Some good replies, I think I will reinstall at some point.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Far Cry 2 was cool for about the first 20 minutes when there was stuff actually happening. If I recall there was that opening scene on rails where the guide talks to you, then the outbreak of the civil war and then you collapse. After that the game was ****.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]

I like it.

dakan45

I have to agree with what he said, its no more repettive that those games or assasin creed 2. By the first gameplay video of that E3 demo i knew the game would be like that. So to make it simple, no i wont get more interesting because thats how the game is, the fun in the game is on what you do and not the missions themselfts. Its what you do in them. To be honest at every chapter ending you experiance a nice plotwist. Ecpecially the last one was pretty shocking.

the thing about gta is that you have alot more options and more things to do to keep the open world interesting. wanna be a taxi driver ? you can , wanna be a vigilante cop? you can. there's more vehicles like tanks, motorcycles, helicopters and planes and the missions are more varied instead of the go here and shoot this person over and over. far cary 2 has no humor that i can recall and everyone wants to kill you. i'm not a fanboy or anything but there is a big difference in these two games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Ive finished it, mostly because I hate to own a game I havent finished (if it is possible to do so).

It does not get a whole lot more interresting untill the last few hours, but those will only make you dislike the game even more.

It irks me quite a bit that the team behind the game had some really really good ideas, and the story thry would have been able to tell would have been decent, but the design flaws and poor direction and pacing ment that story and other things went to waste. btw: last 2 hours or so are pretty nice, except there is a great disconnect that no one would be able to explain in any way O.o

Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
I finished it, I personally enjoyed it. It's only as fun as you make it. Try crazy raid tactics or try and create the biggest fire ever. That's where I had the most fun.gamerguy845
True.