which would be better vista or xp?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for grim_reaper_000
grim_reaper_000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 grim_reaper_000
Member since 2009 • 89 Posts

guys im planning on formating and starting fresh but should i install vista or xp which would be better?

please reply

Seto_Akari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Seto_Akari
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

Xp is much better than Vista.

umutthejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 umutthejedi
Member since 2005 • 83 Posts

If you have a nice high-end pc you should install vista. After seeing it, xp looks like crap to me.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Vista IF your PC can handle it. It's more stable, runs faster, is more organized, actually works if a virus infected your system filles and they can be cleaned unlike XP, some applications runs faster on it uses RAM more efficiently (and it uses more than XP) and the least but not the most important one it's interface is better and it looks better.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Seto_Akari

I like Vista better, but really either OS is fine.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#6 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

I use both, and I can hands-down say I prefer XP. There are so many little things that just bug me about Vista.

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#7 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

Seto_Akari

this

Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

I like Vista better, but really either OS is fine.

GPAddict

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
Vista for me. I use both XP and Vista, and I like vista so much better.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Depends on the PC. If you got lots of RAM and a powerful video - use Vista. If you have weak PC or want to use it for next-gen games - I'd say XP.

wurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 wurd
Member since 2003 • 634 Posts

Vista IF your PC can handle it. It's more stable, runs faster, is more organized, actually works if a virus infected your system filles and they can be cleaned unlike XP, some applications runs faster on it uses RAM more efficiently (and it uses more than XP) and the least but not the most important one it's interface is better and it looks better.

DanielDust
Vista more stable??? You're kidding right?
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

If you're a gamer then Vista will be the logical step to get new render features and games specific to Vista. Vista is a great OS and certainly I will challenge anyone XP PC on this board in terms of desktop speed, granted I tweaked it heavily in addition to 36 processes running. XP is a great OS as well, but eventually the OS will be dated for a gamer.

Off Topic, but Vista SP2 should be available in just a few days buds.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

wurd

Some of us are (I guess we are just lucky :roll: ) able to run Vista without any problems and as a bonus all are games run perfectly too!

For me that includes:

Assassin's Creed

Crysis : Warhead

Drakensang

Far Cry 2

Fallout3

Gothic 3, yes even Gothic 3

Guild Wars

Half-Life2: Episode 2

King's Bounty: The Legend

Portal

STALKER

Oh and don't hate the OS, hate the user. ;)

MrUnSavory1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrUnSavory1
Member since 2005 • 777 Posts

If you can wait Microsoft is allowing everyone to download the Windows 7 release client on May 5th. You can download the full version and it will work for a year until June 1st 2010.

Chopmo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chopmo81
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

wurd

I've never had Vista crash or any sign of it being unstable, Xp on the other hand i've had crash. Allthough not alot.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

Neither.

Wait for Windows 7.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

wurd

Vista is so stable my Automatic Windows Update doesn't work (I get an error every time - I've Googled it to death to no avail) and I can't properly install Service Pack 1, forcing me to edit a registry key to "fool" Vista into thinking SP1 has been installed. Boy, do I love Vista. :)

wurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wurd
I'm a programmer who has done alot of technical work like fixing and building computers etc and many people say 'I don't know why people slag Vista 'mine' is perfect'. But for every person that's said that there's one whose Vista is a nightmare. Constant blue screens, crashing programs, freezing browsers and LAN and wireless network problems. Both my laptops use Vista, both top range Acer. One is perfect, one is an absolute pig. It still randomly blue screens every so often and still has issues with hibernation even though they were suppose to have fixed it with a patch. I was forced to ditch Firefox because of screen freezing every so often and even the MIcrosoft .NET programs like VB crash alot when I use them on Vista. I'm not saying this is entirely Vistas fault though; it has a lot to do with the drivers/software companies themselves through either lack of understanding or testing but you would expect Vista to deal with these crashes gracefully... something it doesn't do. Personlly I'm sticking with XP on my desktop and have been testing WIn7 Beta. I will be downloading the Win7 RC very soon :)
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

gamers still use XP? Talk about living in the past. The only ones I could see still using Xp are the ones with outdated computers. I would think the ones with fairly new computers already upgraded to Vistaby now. The performance argument is really old...

I used Xp 10 years ago and compared to Vista it looks terrible and performance was always fast for me.

wurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wurd

or the ones who are smart enough to save several hundred dollars by upgrading their hardware ;)

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Deihmos

or the ones who are smart enough to save several hundred dollars by upgrading their hardware ;)

wurd

Why would you need to spend several hundred to upgrade to use Vista? All you need is at least 2GB of ram which is best for gaming on Windows XP also. Add more memory and use Vista 64bit which is rock solid to me and allows more memory to be allocated to 32bit applications. Dawn of War 2 can only use ultra settings 64bit because it runs out of memory.

Just use whatever OS you prefer but Windows Vista is much better than XP and Windows 7 will be even better.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I see absolutely no reason to dropping $100 on a OS that will provide slight image increase but with the possibility of tons of problems.. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I would only consider Vista if it provided real advantages for gaming and I was building a new machine.. Seeing as neither one has come up yet.. I am sticking with XP for my desktop, though my laptop is Vista 64 bit edition.
Lithos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lithos_
Member since 2008 • 1017 Posts

DanielDust

EVERYTHING is true.

Depends on the PC. If you got lots of RAM and a powerful video - use Vista. If you have weak PC or want to use it for next-gen games - I'd say XP.

Crimsader

Just reinforcing.

Vista more stable??? You're kidding right?wurd

Yes, it is MUCH more stable.

So far, simply EVERY game ran, and very well, from the old to the newest ones.

At the moment I have installed : Nibiru, Eschalon Book One, Hellgate London, Splinter Cell 1, Doom 3, Call of Juarez, Fallout 3 (with The Pitt, Operation Anchorage and dozens of mods), The Witcher Enhanced Edition, Mass Effect, Drakensang, Dead Space, Stalker Clear Sky, Crysis, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Runes of Magic, Gothic 3, Velvet Assassin, Riddick Dark Athena, The Orange Box and The longest Journey (the 1st one).

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#24 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

If you have a gaming pc, you can probably run vista fine, and it is a better OS. However if you have an older PC with say less than 2gbs of ram and a single core processor, you should stay with XP.

MrUnSavory1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrUnSavory1

Well now that Deihmos has shown he knows squat about computers......on with the discussion :)

MrUnSavory1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrUnSavory1

OH MY GOD!!!.......did he actualy say Vista is better then XP?.......thats like saying Windows ME was better then Windows 98.......LMAO!........I just love the statements made by the uninformed........LOL..

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Deihmos

Well now that Deihmos has shown he knows squat about computers......on with the discussion :)

MrUnSavory1

What are you trying to say? Yes I know squat about computers...:roll:

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Deihmos

OH MY GOD!!!.......did he actualy say Vista is better then XP?.......thats like saying Windows ME was better then Windows 98.......LMAO!........I just love the statements made by the uninformed........LOL..

MrUnSavory1

Isn't everyone entitled to an opinion? I love it when people make claims on the internet then try to pass it off as fact. You think XP is better so that makes it a fact? Learn to agree to disagree.

MrUnSavory1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrUnSavory1

The fact that I have over 25 years experience in the IT depts of some of the top fortune 500 companys makes it fact. MS puts out a bad OS about once every 3 trys. Even they have admitted Vista was bad by releasing a new OS so quickly this time. You can talk that stuff all you want, it does not change documented facts. Deal with it.

oksvart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 oksvart
Member since 2004 • 150 Posts
I've got a high-end computer. I'm sticking with XP until W7 goes retail. End of my story.
Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

I say XP,i love XP.And i also have a high endish PC,but i still dont like vista.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust

[QUOTE="wurd"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]

THA-TODD-BEAST

Vista is so stable my Automatic Windows Update doesn't work (I get an error every time - I've Googled it to death to no avail) and I can't properly install Service Pack 1, forcing me to edit a registry key to "fool" Vista into thinking SP1 has been installed. Boy, do I love Vista. :)

Yes try using the Help function from Windows ;) it's because of some settings that you had to change, I too had that problem and no I can't tell you how to fix it because I can't remember and I can't search for that problem through Windows support since I don't have the exact problem that I need to search for. You're searching in the wrong places IF you actually searched ;). And yes it's more stable, I only installed it one and for till now (around 2 years) I didn't have a single crash that is related to Windows Vista, XP in 2 years would have had a lot of crashes it would have been installed for at least 3 or 4 times (because over time it starts running like crap). My experience, not yours, maybe I was lucky but it's superior in any way to the obsolete XP and don't tell me that the fact that you can clean svchost system files if they get infected by a virus isn't a testimony of its stability >_> if you've never had that problem I suggest looking into it, after some time you would lose your XP theme and you'd only be able to use the default 98/2K theme (not a big problem) applications would no start (any application), you'd lose your networking capabilities that includes internet, drivers would stop working and finally if you're "lucky" the Windows might not even boot, so yes Vista is EXTREMELY stable and safe compared to XP and what I said earlier isn't the only reason for what I'm saying. "Vista more stable??? You're kidding right?" - Wurd I hope you're kidding me, it's PC not a console anything might work in a different way for anyone and yeah it's called opinion ;).
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Deihmos

The fact that I have over 25 years experience in the IT depts of some of the top fortune 500 companys makes it fact. MS puts out a bad OS about once every 3 trys. Even they have admitted Vista was bad by releasing a new OS so quickly this time. You can talk that stuff all you want, it does not change documented facts. Deal with it.

MrUnSavory1

I must have been doing somthing wrong since I have been using it for 3 years now without any issues.

Vista 64bit with 4GB of ram.

tiiaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tiiaan
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts
Get vista 64 bits if your rig can handle it, the best option for a gamer imo.
wurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wurd
Guys you can't say Vista is more stable and therefore better just because your own computer has never crashed. You're basing your own opinions on one example. As a whole more people have problems with Vista than XP and threfore it's fact not personal opinion that XP is more stable.
adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts
one thing to keep in mind is that XP was a disaster at release and it didn't get fixed until service pack 2. My point is that Vista will continue to improve. At the same time XP will not be supported going forward so I would either wait for windows 7 or get vista. If you are concerned about compatibility then go with the 32 bit version. Also for gaming, I believe only vista is dx10 capable and the day is coming that publishers won't support dx9 anymore.
wurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wurd
one thing to keep in mind is that XP was a disaster at release and it didn't get fixed until service pack 2. My point is that Vista will continue to improve. At the same time XP will not be supported going forward so I would either wait for windows 7 or get vista. If you are concerned about compatibility then go with the 32 bit version. Also for gaming, I believe only vista is dx10 capable and the day is coming that publishers won't support dx9 anymore.adrake4183
True XP was a nightmare at first until SP1. But Vista unlikely to improve as quickly as XP did as Microsoft wants to concentrate on Win7 now. It admits Vista was no good.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Deihmos
[QUOTE="adrake4183"]one thing to keep in mind is that XP was a disaster at release and it didn't get fixed until service pack 2. My point is that Vista will continue to improve. At the same time XP will not be supported going forward so I would either wait for windows 7 or get vista. If you are concerned about compatibility then go with the 32 bit version. Also for gaming, I believe only vista is dx10 capable and the day is coming that publishers won't support dx9 anymore.wurd
True XP was a nightmare at first until SP1. But Vista unlikely to improve as quickly as XP did as Microsoft wants to concentrate on Win7 now. It admits Vista was no good.

The thing is Windows 7 and Vista aren't that much different so Vista will be supported for as long as Windows 7. They can use the same drivers. I have used Windows 7 and I know it will be better than Vista but in terms of performance I don't see a difference. It has some nice new features though.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DanielDust
[QUOTE="adrake4183"]one thing to keep in mind is that XP was a disaster at release and it didn't get fixed until service pack 2. My point is that Vista will continue to improve. At the same time XP will not be supported going forward so I would either wait for windows 7 or get vista. If you are concerned about compatibility then go with the 32 bit version. Also for gaming, I believe only vista is dx10 capable and the day is coming that publishers won't support dx9 anymore.wurd

Who admits what? That Widows 7 is a tuned Vista? or that MS once again plan to release their OS a few years apart, like thy did before? And yes, there is no such thing as a fact "fact" all our opinions are based off personal, subjective, opinions, because if we actually look at benchmarks what you say about XP is far-fetched, but no, what you say is based on your personal experience with Xp, your own subjective opinion, not "facts", the fact that there are lots of people that complain about Vista has nothing to do with you or anybody else, from what I/we know some of them are guys that bash it without any reason and they never even used it, just because it's cool to be a "hater" and because their friends (which in turn, didn't use it, some of them) hate it, of course there are lots of people that had problems with it, real problems, but that doesn't change the fact that this whole thread revolves around our own subjective personal experience with XP or Vista.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

one thing to keep in mind is that XP was a disaster at release and it didn't get fixed until service pack 2. My point is that Vista will continue to improve. At the same time XP will not be supported going forward so I would either wait for windows 7 or get vista. If you are concerned about compatibility then go with the 32 bit version. Also for gaming, I believe only vista is dx10 capable and the day is coming that publishers won't support dx9 anymore.adrake4183

Microsoft has already stated that XP SP3 will be supported until 03/2014. As far as DX 9.0c is concerned, it was updated by Microsoft exactly 6 months ago: both the updates and the full SDK was revised also.

adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts
I wasn't talking about Microsoft supporting it. Third party game designers will not support dx9 or XP. The incentive going forward will be to move away from XP. If you are buying an OS for this year maybe it doesn't matter but going forward Vista is the better choice, especially for pc gamers who will want to take advantage of dx10's performance improvements on the gpu end even if they sacrifice some memory which isn't really in short supply these days. Vista will extend many years into the future and XP simply won't. Its not really debatable that vista will last longer.
sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
vista
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Some of this discussion would be moot, if it hadn't been for Bill Gates' ham-handed move to nix DX 10 for XP SP3 (which the OS could easily have handled). Besides, it's already proven that DX 9.0c can produce "near-DX 10" displays with Crysis (change some values in some of the text files for the game).

Edit: You could have had a 32-bit MS-DOS that reads more RAM if only the code was rewritten, but that would have put a dent in MS profits for Windows.