Which version of KOTOR should I get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by toddx77 (3395 posts) -

I currently have the "Best of PC" disc version of KOTOR but it will not work on my Windows 7 PC. I have heard some people say the steam version of the games works fine with windows 7 and some others say they still have problems which they can or cannot fix. So my first question is do any of you have the steam version and have problems with it on windows 7? If so are they easy to fix? My second question is I heard the new retail edition of both KOTOR 1 and 2 is formatted for windows 7 and has no problems. Would it be better to just get that version instead? Finally is one version more likely to work with windows 8 over another? Considering the new retail edition was just released is there a chance it was optomised for windows 8 as well?

#2 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Retail is unplayable and the Steam version worked flawlessly for me.
#3 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

New retail edition? This game brings back so many amazing memories playing it on the original Xbox that i'd love to play it again. Come to think of it i never played KOTOR 2. But to answer your question go with the retail version you mentioned, if people claim it works perfectly then go for it.

#4 Posted by the_bi99man (11242 posts) -

Steam version works fine for me. Crashes every now and again, but pretty rarely. And I always save frequently, playing any game.

#5 Posted by toddx77 (3395 posts) -

Those of you with the steam version did the game launch fine on your first try or did you have to do anything to it? ALso does anyone who is using windows 8 know if both versions of the game work on it? If 1 version works on windows 8 over another I would prefer that one in the case I upgrade I would hate to have to buy the game for a third time just to keep playing it.

#6 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Just downloaded and started playing, didn't change or alter anything.
#7 Posted by LuminousNoises (25 posts) -

The newly released retail version works well. The only DRM on them is "disc-check", but they're fully playable.

#8 Posted by toddx77 (3395 posts) -

Hmmm I checked quickly on the steam forums and there a few people who said they are having problems with the steam version and can't find any fix. Some people are saying they have to turn off movies or tone down some effects in order to play it. Could different types of specs be the cause perhaps? Like for example a nvidia card could have a different effect than an ati card? I know the problem is coming from playing on Windows 7 but I don't understand how the steam version is working on some windows 7 machines and not others.

#9 Posted by Branmuffin316 (1208 posts) -

I got the Best Of version working on Windows 7 fine, but it took a little work. You should try looking up solutions online, but I'm guessing you probably have done that.

#10 Posted by toddx77 (3395 posts) -

I got the Best Of version working on Windows 7 fine, but it took a little work. You should try looking up solutions online, but I'm guessing you probably have done that.

Branmuffin316

Yes and I couldn't find anything that worked. I think I may just buy the steam version and if I can't get it to work than I am out $6, better than being out $60.

#11 Posted by toddx77 (3395 posts) -

Ok I just bought the steam version and so far no problems, even in full screen mode.

#12 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

Recently have beaten both KOTOR1 and KOTOR2 with windows7 Ultimate (steam version of both copies).

I prefer KOTOR2 by a little bit ;)