Which takes more skill: Company of Heroes or Starcraft?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_kraminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 the_kraminator
Member since 2005 • 2408 Posts

Lately I've been playing Company of Heroes, and I never really thought it was comparable to Starcraft in terms of skill cap. However, now I am starting to see that at a higher level of play, Company of Heroes does require a decent amount of skill. I still think that Starcraft requires more skill, but I'm not sure. I just thought this would be an interesting question to ask (inb4 flame wars:? )

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Starcraft requires more micromanagement. Most modern RTSs eliminate that level of micromanagement to allow the user to focus on the larger scale. I'd say anyone who plays starcraft probably thinks it requires more skill, but I personally enjoy the strategy involved in games like CoH, WiC, and Supreme Commander over the intense memorization and micromanagement of Starcraft.

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
Starcraft requires much more skill.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#4 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

The skill you need with starcraft is speed, and you know how asians love speed.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

Starcraft does NOT require more skill than CoH lol. Combat in Starcraft boils down to extreme micromanagement, but that does not equate to a higher degree of skill. The gameplay is very simplistic.

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bumzur

Starcraft does NOT require more skill than CoH lol. Combat in Starcraft boils down to extreme micromanagement, but that does not equate to a higher degree of skill. The gameplay is very simplistic.

PTMags
Then you shouldn't have any problem making it to the tippy-top of those Korean tourneys.
PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

[QUOTE="PTMags"]

Bumzur

Then you shouldn't have any problem making it to the tippy-top of those Korean tourneys.

I didn't say that skill isn't a factor in Starcraft. I'm just saying that Company of Heroes has a lot more depth to it and a lot more strategy. Those Koreans love their micromanagement.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Starcraft has equally balanced teams.

CoH has teams with slightly different units for each team, and also a more complex rock>scissors>paper mechanic to it.

CoH also makes much more use of the terrain, and super powers. Basically even if you decided to infantry rush a single Mg squad could cause 60 riflemen to sit there pinned ubder fire. In Starcraft they'd just charge at each other, so you have to stop and think about what bthey might have and make sure you have something to counter that etc.

You still do that in Starcraft (air>ground, ground>air, ground>ground tactics) but really that's it. In CoH you have super powers>all, infantry>infantry, anti-vehicle, vehicle, vehicle>infantry, sniper>infantry, sniper>sniper, sniper>Mg, Mg>infantry, vehicle>mg (unless you use armour peircing), infantry (with grenades/sticky bombs)>vehicles etc

Then you have artillery and some defensive structures, mines, etc

(Vehicles includes tanks and light vehicles)

That's my take on it at least, I never played Starcraft as in-depth as others.

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bumzur
"You still do that in Starcraft (air>ground, ground>air, ground>ground tactics)" You didn't factor in the 3 completely diverse races, pushing this to the power of 3 and eliminating City of Heroes depth wise.
futs22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 futs22
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts
By virtue of being a newer game, COH requires some additional thinking due to certain variables not found in Starcraft like terrain, building garrisons and the use of cover. Also the mechanics of capturing and holding strategic points. That being said, both games still have a lot of depth to it in terms of strategy. Both games still stick to the normal convention of some units are good against some and you should know what units to use against what units. Furthermore, knowing the additional skills of every unit is crucial to winning and both games use that system to great effect. I think it's safe to say that the amount of thinking involved in both games is just about the same.
snow-cones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 snow-cones
Member since 2009 • 173 Posts
They are both hard to play online.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
IDK but CoH is better. Starcraft still looks good for a ten year old game but its grown a little stale on me.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Relic games have always been more about tactical strategy than base building; just look at Homeworld. Micromanaging the battlefield in CoH is much more involved than in Starcraft. Yes, starcraft has more structures, more units, more research to manage, but a lot of that is memorizing quick keys for spells and such, and I'm not sure I'd call that skill per se. The only reason I think we see Starcraft as more deep is because people have been playing it for a long time, and have had time to develop and refine better and better strategies. If CoH had 10+ years of unrivaled popularity under its belt, I don't think we would be having this discussion.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

"You still do that in Starcraft (air>ground, ground>air, ground>ground tactics)" You didn't factor in the 3 completely diverse races, pushing this to the power of 3 and eliminating City of Heroes depth wise.Bumzur
I did. I said before that that Starcraft has 3 identical races (that's why the game is so balanced). They're only aesthetically diverse. Basically each race has a specific unit to match any of its own. They only diverse in some of the more unique units, such as the templars, science vessels and those Zerg ones. Defilers? I forget their name.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

[QUOTE="Bumzur"]"You still do that in Starcraft (air>ground, ground>air, ground>ground tactics)" You didn't factor in the 3 completely diverse races, pushing this to the power of 3 and eliminating City of Heroes depth wise.DigitalExile

I did. I said before that that Starcraft has 3 identical races (that's why the game is so balanced). They're only aesthetically diverse. Basically each race has a specific unit to match any of its own. They only diverse in some of the more unique units, such as the templars, science vessels and those Zerg ones. Defilers? I forget their name.

You what? You obviously haven't played Starcraft much if you think this...
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Skill is a mater of opinion: While some people may say "wow pvp require no skill" how come not everyone is trying to play for the tournament? Same could be say about allmost any game. Call it fast reaction, micromanagement, knowledge or whatever you want. But some people are good (skill) at games and some people are bad.

And saying that the starcraft races are copies of eachother is like saying that "water = stone = fire"

ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 ParkCarsHere
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts
Despite never playing Starcraft, I would say that takes much more skill. Company of Heroes, imo, is a fairly straightforward RTS, whereas Starcraft requires tons of micromanagement, from what I can see. Not to mention Starcraft is one of the mainstays for competitive games in gaming tournaments and stuff. That shows that something must be good about it.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I would say this post doesn't have a direct answer. They BOTH require lots of skill to be good at... even though each game requires different strategies and thinking
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#19 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

CoH is much more complex and less twitch based, and it requires more strategy. However starcraft does require an FPS' level of hand eye coordination and twitch skill.

_rpg_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _rpg_FAN
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts

i belive that starcraft requires more skill

HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I would say this post doesn't have a direct answer. They BOTH require lots of skill to be good at... even though each game requires different strategies and thinking

Agreed. Although having played both quite a bit I can say I had a harder time winning most of the time with Company of Heroes.
felixiration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 felixiration
Member since 2009 • 433 Posts

I'd say they are even, when I play CoH, just following some of the tips given to me by players and on the loading screen enabled me to win a lot more. Playing starcraft just seemed a whole lot harder just because when I think of it I also think of asian pro skills but it really isn't that bad

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
CoH forces you to think about your stratagies. A major attack can be destroyed in a flash because you didnt predict there would be an MG there, or a tank, or you didnt think the infantry was armed with anti-tank., or you didnt think there would be mines there. In CoH terrain is your best friend and your worst enemy.