Which RTS should I play as an introduction to the genre?

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

As the title implies, I have never played an RTS, and I'm looking to get started in the genre. I've looked at a few options, like Company of Heroes 2 and the Warhammer franchise, but I have no idea where to start.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Warcraft 3 is a pretty good starting point. Army sizes are not too big, the single player campaign has an awesome story too. Pretty easy too learn, and the build requirements for various things isn't too complicated.

Age of empires 3 is pretty good too. Age 2 is sort of regarded as the "best" in the series, if you aren't put off by old school sprite based graphics.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

There are a lot of good options out there, but it is important to keep in mind that there are, more or less, two "types" of main RTS's and then there are two "focuses" of RTS's after that.

First off, you have your more traditional RTS's that are based off resource gathering, base- and army-building, then sending them out to defeat enemies and accomplish objectives. These are games built on the Dune 2/Command and Conquer mechanic of real-time strategy. In this area, I would recommend game franchises and titles such as:

-Warcraft 3, a fantasy-based RTS. Very popular, very fun story with a great campaign.

-Starcraft 2, basically the same as Warcraft but sci-fi. Again, fun campaign, good story.

-Command and Conquer: The First Decade collection, which includes basically all the good command and conquer games which also means that it includes a lot of just plain good RTS's, period.

-Grey Goo, a recent title from former Westwood employees (makers of C&C), it had a surprisingly fun campaign and while not a popular game, it was pretty good!

-Supreme Commander: huuuuuuuuuuge scale RTS, it does base building and resources a bit differently but it's really fun. Maps are ginormous and you can have thousands of units in battles at once (most RTS's only have dozens at a time), lots of unit variety and such.

Homeworld Remastered: my favorite RTS of all time (arguably), the game was remastered a short while ago and is really fun. It's a bit different in that you don't really build a permanent base, but you build a mothership and move it around from mission to mission. Really great plot and storytelling, diverse missions....one of the best singleplayer experiences of my life.

-------------

Second, you have the more tactical RTS's where you don't really worry about resources or building a base, but instead you control a fixed amount of units and command them like a general would. I recommend:

-World in Conflict: a really good, cinematic game about a conventional WWIII in the US. What if Russia invaded, and the war was fought without nukes, just tanks and soldiers and planes and helicopters? Well that's what this game is all about. Really fun, good story telling.

-Wargame: Air-Land Battle/Red Dragon: a more realistic interpretation of a conventional conflict than World in Conflict, it is more of a battle simulator than a traditional RTS in that respect. Still, it is a lot of fun to play armchair general and order various units around, pretending there's a Soviet invasion of Germany going on.

-Dawn of War 2: Command Space Marines on planet-hopping missions around the galaxy and take out enemies. Upgrade them, grow attached to them...watch them die horribly. It's a really well-done game, lots of fun!

----------------

It's also important to remember that there are RTS's that are really amazing singleplayer experiences, really great multiplayer experiences, but very few that are good at both. Blizzard (Starcraft, Warcraft) manages to do both. Command and Conquer tends to be really good singleplayer, as was Homeworld. So just do your research and make sure you know what you want out of the game; if it's your first foray, you might want to get a good singleplayer game so you can grow comfortable with the mechanics.

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vvulturas

@mrbojangles25 said:

There are a lot of good options out there, but it is important to keep in mind that there are, more or less, two "types" of main RTS's and then there are two "focuses" of RTS's after that.

First off, you have your more traditional RTS's that are based off resource gathering, base- and army-building, then sending them out to defeat enemies and accomplish objectives. These are games built on the Dune 2/Command and Conquer mechanic of real-time strategy. In this area, I would recommend game franchises and titles such as:

-Warcraft 3, a fantasy-based RTS. Very popular, very fun story with a great campaign.

-Starcraft 2, basically the same as Warcraft but sci-fi. Again, fun campaign, good story.

-Command and Conquer: The First Decade collection, which includes basically all the good command and conquer games which also means that it includes a lot of just plain good RTS's, period.

-Grey Goo, a recent title from former Westwood employees (makers of C&C), it had a surprisingly fun campaign and while not a popular game, it was pretty good!

-Supreme Commander: huuuuuuuuuuge scale RTS, it does base building and resources a bit differently but it's really fun. Maps are ginormous and you can have thousands of units in battles at once (most RTS's only have dozens at a time), lots of unit variety and such.

Homeworld Remastered: my favorite RTS of all time (arguably), the game was remastered a short while ago and is really fun. It's a bit different in that you don't really build a permanent base, but you build a mothership and move it around from mission to mission. Really great plot and storytelling, diverse missions....one of the best singleplayer experiences of my life.

-------------

Second, you have the more tactical RTS's where you don't really worry about resources or building a base, but instead you control a fixed amount of units and command them like a general would. I recommend:

-World in Conflict: a really good, cinematic game about a conventional WWIII in the US. What if Russia invaded, and the war was fought without nukes, just tanks and soldiers and planes and helicopters? Well that's what this game is all about. Really fun, good story telling.

-Wargame: Air-Land Battle/Red Dragon: a more realistic interpretation of a conventional conflict than World in Conflict, it is more of a battle simulator than a traditional RTS in that respect. Still, it is a lot of fun to play armchair general and order various units around, pretending there's a Soviet invasion of Germany going on.

-Dawn of War 2: Command Space Marines on planet-hopping missions around the galaxy and take out enemies. Upgrade them, grow attached to them...watch them die horribly. It's a really well-done game, lots of fun!

----------------

It's also important to remember that there are RTS's that are really amazing singleplayer experiences, really great multiplayer experiences, but very few that are good at both. Blizzard (Starcraft, Warcraft) manages to do both. Command and Conquer tends to be really good singleplayer, as was Homeworld. So just do your research and make sure you know what you want out of the game; if it's your first foray, you might want to get a good singleplayer game so you can grow comfortable with the mechanics.

Thanks for your thorough response. I'm aiming more towards the single player experience, so I'll definitely research these listed above.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25

@vvulturas: Ah, in that case:

• Homeworld Remastered
  • Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
  • C&C: The First Decade
  • World in Conflict yes that's Alec Baldwin lol

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Good stuff above. I might also suggest Empire Earth 2. It doesn't really have a campaign with a story, but it has really fun single-player experiences nonetheless. The thing that is nice about it is it has a very intuitive interface + set of mechanics, but also a fair bit of depth to grow into. So I think it's a good starter game that also has longevity as you get into the genre. It's old, though - graphics are actually still not half bad, but it's not "the latest and greatest thing". That being said, I think it has better pacing than Starcraft 2 for a newb (SC2 has great campaign though. Really enjoyable stuff)

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

I would start with the Command and Conquer collection. Start with Command and Conquer 95. Great classic game and one of the best games ever created.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

C&C Generals

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

C&C wasn't that full motion video cut scenes?.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Also, you MUST play warcraft 2, at least long enough to click repeatedly on every unit to see what they all say.

You'll understand so many more gaming memes after doing this.

ME NOT DAT KIND OF ORC!

You don't touch the other elves that way......

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@vvulturas: Ah, in that case:

• Homeworld Remastered
  • Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
  • C&C: The First Decade
  • World in Conflict yes that's Alec Baldwin lol

I'll add the first Company of Heroes to this already excellent list, it has a pretty great singleplayer campaign.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

@skipper847 said:

C&C wasn't that full motion video cut scenes?.

it was! Great and corny, gotta love 'em. KANE LIVES!!!

C&C Tiberian Sun even had Michael Beihn and James Earl Jones!

The earlier games generally did not have any famous actors (which is fine! they did all right with their FMVs and cutscenes) but later on you'll see some recognizable people. Hell some of the Red Alert games had half the cast of Battlestar Galactica, it seemed lol.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I would suggest Blizzard RTS games. They are simple games to learn and the campaigns are interesting.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

Highly suggest Red Alert 2, while I played the earlier CnC games prior to that game, RA2 was the game that really got me interested in the Genre. Its as simple of an RTS as it gets, but with awesome unit variety, great sense of humor, and a very entertaining campaign. So many cool/different units to play around with in that game, that it'll keep you playing for dozens of hours.

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vvulturas

Thank you all for your suggestions. I went with Company of Heroes and have been having good fun for now!

allanon89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By allanon89
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

Warcraft 3 if you prefer high fantasy

Starcraft 2 if you prefer sci-fi

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

@pl4yer_f0und: In fact, red alert 2 is better than red alert 3

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

dawn of war 2

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

it has to be noted that the original StarCraft is now free - kind of a no brainer there.

This is the most current installer that Blizzard is offering AFAIK:

https://eu.battle.net/download/getInstaller?os=win&installer=StarCraft-Public-Test-Setup.exe

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

I suggest Northgard, because in the state it is currently in it can be a very relaxing game and you can take your time to get to know all the different elements there are to an RTS.

It's kind of a cross between RTS and City Builder so it can be very welcoming to newcomers.

Besides that I also suggest you look into the Company of Heroes series.

@vvulturas said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I went with Company of Heroes and have been having good fun for now!

Once you get the hang of the basics don't be afraid to jump into multiplayer.

Once you start playing MP you'll find you keep getting better and better by facing stronger opponents.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance - Really well balanced. Great UI. Still a really active community. It's an amazing game.

Empire Earth (First one) - This one has different ages from pre-historic all the way to future tech.

I never really like RTS games like Starcraft and Warcraft. They seem shallow to me.

RelytGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RelytGaming
Member since 2017 • 8 Posts

I absolutely loved Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes! Fun, cheap, and very basic. You can create your own race and hero. It's a bit older but still a very solid fun to play game. I was actually thinking about playing it on my youtube channel.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Warcraft 3 is the classic go-to entry point, I'd say.

Someone mentioned World in Conflict, and I totally agree. It's hectic without being overbearing, and really, they balanced the streamlining and depth so marvelously in that game.

Dawn of War 1 is good, but if you are familiar with isometric RPGs, Dawn of War 2 is a very good entry point to the genre since it shares quite a few similarities. Or Company of Heroes, like you are doing now.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

You can't go wrong with any of the Dawn of War games (warhammer 40k has a metric tons of lore to dive into outside of their games if you want to dive deeper into the story). Warcraft 3 is also up there, and is from the golden age of when Blizzard use to be one of the best if not the best devs around. Company of Heros is also good if you like WWII stuff and Homeworld remaster is amazing if you like deep rts stuff.

I'd ignore Starcraft 2, while WoL was amazing the last two expansions have been meh and the last one LoV was just a letdown in terms of story/how it ended.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

@vvulturas: Ok. so, your best bet is to go with free games. And Im not talking free2play, Im talking fully free. So, go to this thread I made, scroll down to the strategy section and try them. Has some different types of RTS games in there. More specifically you should go for the command and conquer titles, warzone 2100, S.W.I.N.E, 0 A.D and Starcraft.

In anycase, you picked the wrong time to get into RTS games as they're not so hot right now.

NewOrder1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NewOrder1984
Member since 2017 • 80 Posts

The only RTS game that I like is one from Total War Series.

Warcraft, Starcraft, C&C, CoH , Warhammer, World in Conflict and Supreme Commander have all been over-rated for a long time, even though I did enjoy playing them to some extent.

Wulf3_ZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wulf3_ZA
Member since 2017 • 5 Posts

I would really recommend you check out the Classic Age of Empires 2 : HD Edition. I huge fan of the AoE series lol.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Age of Empires 3 Complete Edition

Loggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Loggins
Member since 2003 • 33 Posts

@vvulturas: How about the Lord Of The Rings games - Battle For Middle Earth 1 and 2.

Simple to learn and great games with lots of atmosphere.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I always felt that World in Conflict could have been a Tom Clancy game had Ubisoft publish it first before picking up the ip from Sierra. Tom Clancy's World in Conflict seems fitting. Great game and I wished Massive could had worked on another rts.