Which RTS should I get??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skillzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Skillzero
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
Hey guys I am normally an MMO / FPS player.. I play World in Conflict every once in a while but the last RTS that I played hardcore was Age of Empires 2 when it came out.. I am a multiplayer type of person and would want to mainly get into that.. I would be nice if I could play it for hours on end as I am looking to replace my old WoW addiction :P (I quit 4 months ago.. I have been jumping between MMOs but can't really find anything I like) So, Company of Heroes or Empire Total war... or something else? What do you all think? If not CoH or Empire Total War... do you have any other suggestions?
Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts
Demigod. I've been suggesting it a lot, but it really fits the bill here. It's a ton of fun and it's multiplayer-oriented.
Skillzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Skillzero
[QUOTE="Tikicobra"]Demigod. I've been suggesting it a lot, but it really fits the bill here. It's a ton of fun and it's multiplayer-oriented.

I haven't heard much of this game other then the fact they had insane pirate issues and that it was a DOTA knockoff.. Can anyone else back this up?
Chopmo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chopmo81
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts

If your looking to scrath the multiplayer itch, i'd say Demigod too. It's a blast.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
[QUOTE="Tikicobra"]Demigod. I've been suggesting it a lot, but it really fits the bill here. It's a ton of fun and it's multiplayer-oriented.Skillzero
I haven't heard much of this game other then the fact they had insane pirate issues and that it was a DOTA knockoff.. Can anyone else back this up?

I would suggest Dawn of War 2. That game is great for multiplayer and you can play the campaign co-op. I don't know anything about demigod and never liked total war type games.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

I'd suggest CoH and DoW2.

Skillzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skillzero

If your looking to scrath the multiplayer itch, i'd say Demigod too. It's a blast.

Chopmo81
Alright, I'm about to purchase demigod but have one final question.. What is this Direct Connect issues that I am seeing on their forums? I remember something similar happening with Battlefield: Bad Company on my ps3.. I couldn't play when connected to the router and I would have to hardwire myself to the modem to play... Does demigod have this issue?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Another one that i should smack you if you haven't played would be starcraft, but of course you've heard of that game :P
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 MorbidToaster
Member since 2008 • 1434 Posts

Demigod, AND Dawn of War II. Both amazing games. If you're looking for more traditional (I use that term lightly) RTS multiplayer, go with Dawn of War.

If you want something with less control, but more fun at the higher numbers, get Demigod.

Dawn of War is great for single player as well though. Demigod pretty much has none.

I'd go with Dawn of War personally. Good campaign, good multiplayer. Although, Demigod is great too

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MorbidToaster
[QUOTE="Chopmo81"]

Skillzero
Alright, I'm about to purchase demigod but have one final question.. What is this Direct Connect issues that I am seeing on their forums? I remember something similar happening with Battlefield: Bad Company on my ps3.. I couldn't play when connected to the router and I would have to hardwire myself to the modem to play... Does demigod have this issue?

It's being fixed sometime this week, I'm waiting for that fix as well. I've been playing Dawn of War until then. lol
Skillzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Skillzero
[QUOTE="Skillzero"][QUOTE="Chopmo81"]

MorbidToaster

It's being fixed sometime this week, I'm waiting for that fix as well. I've been playing Dawn of War until then. lol

Hah I hate you.. I only have enough spare money (right now at least) to choose between one of them... I was pretty set on demigod until I saw some port issues. I am now watching reviews of Dawn of War 2 and it looks pretty good..
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
StarCraft or Company of Heroes.
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#13 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10575 Posts
Haven't played Demigod, but apparently they released a patch to fix the connection issue already. I'm buying it sometime soon. Another good-looking recently-released RTS is Battle Forge, made by the same folks who made the Spellforce series - both bold and quite fun RTS/RPG hybrids. Another one on my to-buy list. Dawn of War II would also be an excellent choice, but you might want to hold off for a balance patch (presumably the one after the upcoming 1.3.0 one). Relic does have a long reputation for sucking at balancing, and after looking at some of the discussions and then testing them out myself, this seems to be the case for DOW II as well. Findings include: Tyranids are overpowered, especially if you pick Alpha Ravener, Eldar are almost comically weak, and units like Rangers, Venerable Dreadnoughts, Stormboyz and Warp Spiders are next to useless. And so on.
takeiteazy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 takeiteazy3
Member since 2008 • 743 Posts

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="Skillzero"] Alright, I'm about to purchase demigod but have one final question.. What is this Direct Connect issues that I am seeing on their forums? I remember something similar happening with Battlefield: Bad Company on my ps3.. I couldn't play when connected to the router and I would have to hardwire myself to the modem to play... Does demigod have this issue? Skillzero

Hah I hate you.. I only have enough spare money (right now at least) to choose between one of them... I was pretty set on demigod until I saw some port issues. I am now watching reviews of Dawn of War 2 and it looks pretty good..

they have fixed lots of the connectivity problems. ppl connect way faster now but it think there almost done fixing them.

but you should defenatly get demigod, its awsome!

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MorbidToaster
[QUOTE="Skillzero"][QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="Skillzero"] Alright, I'm about to purchase demigod but have one final question.. What is this Direct Connect issues that I am seeing on their forums? I remember something similar happening with Battlefield: Bad Company on my ps3.. I couldn't play when connected to the router and I would have to hardwire myself to the modem to play... Does demigod have this issue?

Yeah I bought alot of stuff I was behind on when I built my new rig. Dawn of War is amazing...but Demigod is really good too. I prefer Demigod's Multiplayer, but Dawn of War has an excellent campaign. Another one I forgot to mention was Company of Heroes (but the guys in this thread have me covered). It's really fun, and plays alot like Dawn of War II, but it's set in WW II.
Skillzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Skillzero
[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="Skillzero"][QUOTE="MorbidToaster"] It's being fixed sometime this week, I'm waiting for that fix as well. I've been playing Dawn of War until then. lol

Yeah I bought alot of stuff I was behind on when I built my new rig. Dawn of War is amazing...but Demigod is really good too. I prefer Demigod's Multiplayer, but Dawn of War has an excellent campaign. Another one I forgot to mention was Company of Heroes (but the guys in this thread have me covered). It's really fun, and plays alot like Dawn of War II, but it's set in WW II.

I actually bought demigod and played for quite a while yeserday.. Amazing gameplay, **** system. You can only run as well as the crappiest system in the group of the people you're playing with. Alt tabbing makes the game crash when you try to tab back in 50% of the time. Multiplayer still takes 5 minutes to connect (and thats considering that its just the same group as when you first clicked "play" and not new people joining with you)
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Company of Heroes, you won't regret! ;) The best RTS for me so far...

Chopmo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chopmo81
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="Skillzero"] Hah I hate you.. I only have enough spare money (right now at least) to choose between one of them... I was pretty set on demigod until I saw some port issues. I am now watching reviews of Dawn of War 2 and it looks pretty good.. Skillzero

I actually bought demigod and played for quite a while yeserday.. Amazing gameplay, **** system. You can only run as well as the crappiest system in the group of the people you're playing with. Alt tabbing makes the game crash when you try to tab back in 50% of the time. Multiplayer still takes 5 minutes to connect (and thats considering that its just the same group as when you first clicked "play" and not new people joining with you)

I might be one of the more fortunate ones. I always connect within a few minutes at most and don't have any crashing. I do feel your pain because when it first released I did have connecting problems.

You did say it well. Awsome gameplay and crappy system. Still, I find it tons more enjoyable online than most other games.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

Total War games are best played online with friends. I'd go for CoH or DoW2.

Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Haven't played Demigod, but apparently they released a patch to fix the connection issue already. I'm buying it sometime soon. Another good-looking recently-released RTS is Battle Forge, made by the same folks who made the Spellforce series - both bold and quite fun RTS/RPG hybrids. Another one on my to-buy list. Dawn of War II would also be an excellent choice, but you might want to hold off for a balance patch (presumably the one after the upcoming 1.3.0 one). Relic does have a long reputation for sucking at balancing, and after looking at some of the discussions and then testing them out myself, this seems to be the case for DOW II as well. Findings include: Tyranids are overpowered, especially if you pick Alpha Ravener, Eldar are almost comically weak, and units like Rangers, Venerable Dreadnoughts, Stormboyz and Warp Spiders are next to useless. And so on.madrocketeer

no game is balanced in the first 6 months to 1 year after release. If you are buying RTS games for balance, don't buy them until 1 year after release. Even SC balance was crap until the expansion some 1 year after the original release

and fyi warp spiders aren't useless, they hard to micro effectivly, but if you do it right, they do crazy dps

HicktownMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#21 HicktownMayor
Member since 2007 • 319 Posts

I'm also looking for a good RTS or RPG game for the PC. I don't really want something that you have to play online (because then it feels like a MMO). I'm looking for something to do during dead times during the day this summer. I'm an old SC buff and I loved playing Rise of Nations as well. However, those did get old after a while. I've tried playing the Civilization games but they just dont have the same addictive power as SC did. They just don't seem as fun. As far as Oblivion goes, I just can't really get into that game. I had it on the PS3 and it was ok, but once I finally beat it one time, I was done with it. I didn't feel like playing it over again and trying for new things. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Overlord, is it any count?

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="Skillzero"] Hah I hate you.. I only have enough spare money (right now at least) to choose between one of them... I was pretty set on demigod until I saw some port issues. I am now watching reviews of Dawn of War 2 and it looks pretty good.. Skillzero

I actually bought demigod and played for quite a while yeserday.. Amazing gameplay, **** system. You can only run as well as the crappiest system in the group of the people you're playing with.

That's how all RTS games work. One slow computer will slow everyone down. That's the way P2P works.
phasmatis6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 phasmatis6
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Dawn of War is great for one-to-two hour multiplayer battles. Sadly, the single-player campaign wasn't any good.
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MorbidToaster
Dawn of War is great for one-to-two hour multiplayer battles. Sadly, the single-player campaign wasn't any good.phasmatis6
LIES. DoW II has a great campaign. Although, I have been a 40k nut since...forever...
Avatar image for seancollins1987
seancollins1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 seancollins1987
Member since 2008 • 253 Posts
Im in the same situation. I want to play RTs but cant decide which is for me. I am between CoH, Dawn of War 2, Demigod, and C&C3. I would like to know what the big differences in gamplay are between the 4 and which is best for a new comer to the RTS genre.