Which graphics card to upgrade to?

#1 Edited by Comic_Capers (1670 posts) -

I've inherited my brother's old gaming PC which is 5 years old and although it will run the games I have on it fine the graphics card is a bit outdated and I really want to play Planet Coaster on it. My present graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 650ti with only 1GB of VRAM (PC needs 2GB). My question is which graphics card would it be best for me to upgrade to for under £100 to at least run PC exclusives like Planet Coaster (and other similar titles)?

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (38996 posts) -

A 1050 TI, stretch your budget à little

#3 Posted by thehig1 (7242 posts) -

If your in UK get an old r9 290X for £90 from Cex.

Its a massive upgrade in performance terms just check the Psu in the PC you have is up to it.

Should be 500w or better and preferably a known brand not generic

#4 Posted by PredatorRules (12408 posts) -

@Comic_Capers: GTX1650 will be coming out soon

#5 Posted by Comic_Capers (1670 posts) -

@thehig1: how do I check that?

#6 Posted by thehig1 (7242 posts) -

@Comic_Capers: open your case up and have a look.

What ever it is will likely be branded.

Should be able to see what it is there is nornally a sticker on the PSU.

#7 Posted by Comic_Capers (1670 posts) -

@thehig1: I've seen the GTX 750ti on CeX for £50, would that suffice for the time being until I can afford a more expensive upgrade to the system?

#8 Posted by thehig1 (7242 posts) -

@Comic_Capers: yeah its a decent upgrade and I wouldn't stress over the psu with a 750ti it doesnt draw much power.

Go for it

#9 Posted by Comic_Capers (1670 posts) -

@thehig1: looks like I will. And if I sell my old GTX 650 to them I'll get £13.00 off as well.

#10 Posted by thehig1 (7242 posts) -

@Comic_Capers: id pay the extra for the 290x, but the 750ti will be a good upgrade.

£90 for an updrage that will last you until the next generation of consoles.

Seriously id go for a 290x if you can srcum up the cash

#11 Edited by xantufrog (11176 posts) -

Personally I'd shell out more than the 750TI. I have never ever cheaped out on a "tie me over" card like you are suggesting and not regretted it. Invariably, I feel the need for a better card in no time.

Max out your 100, IMO. You'll be so much happier and get a few years out of it, instead of going for the 50 pound bargain

#12 Edited by Comic_Capers (1670 posts) -

Well I went into Cex today and they had a GTX 950 for only £15 more so I went for that instead. Given I have an Xbox One for most of my gaming and I only use my PC for strategy and simulation games like The Sims 4 and (now I have a suitable card) Planet Coaster this will be more than enough for what I need.

#13 Edited by xantufrog (11176 posts) -

@Comic_Capers: good move! You'll be glad you paid a wee bit more, I promise.

#14 Posted by gcfreak898 (1991 posts) -

Any Nvidia graphics card above the 1060 should be a gaming capable graphics card at a decent price. Check out pcpartpicker.com for prices.