Which gaming headset/amp do u use ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brown_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brown_flame
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts

Just wondering which of these do u fellow gamers use, and also be sure to let everyone kno of the pros and cons of the ones u "own":D

bewarethehorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 bewarethehorns
Member since 2004 • 95 Posts

Sennheiser PC350 w/ Astro's MixAmp.

The sound quality of the 350 is excellent. Several times I've been able to hear footsteps approaching while playing MW2 online even through all the other game noise and chat. Sound quality on the mic is second to none in my opinion, it filters out most ambient noise while keeping my voice clear over Live.

And I love the MixAmp not just becauase of the ease of leveling game volume to chat volume, but because I can mix in an external audio source (often my ipod) without disrupting others. Add to that you only need a USB port for power which makes things a little easier to move when you want to take it to a friends.

brown_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 brown_flame
that sounds cool dude, looks like u have a great custom setup goin on, the pc 350 are cool, the pc 360 look dope as well in terms of minor improvements.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I try to avoid gaming headsets.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Do just headphones/amp count? :P

i-like-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 i-like-pie
Member since 2005 • 4070 Posts
A Sennheiser HD555
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

I try to avoid gaming headsets. KHAndAnime

ChubbyGuy40

These! :D

brown_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 brown_flame

ChubbyGuy40
sure, whatever floats ur boat :P
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

brown_flame

sure, whatever floats ur boat :P

Put it this way. If you buy a "gaming" headset and amp you will be playing much more for much less. Look to headphone companies like AKG, Sennheiser, Grado, Denon, Audio Technica, etc.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChubbyGuy40

Sennheiser HD 555 w/ Auzentech X-Fi Forte. When playing on PC of course. When I need to use my headphones for consoles, I plug them into my Onkyo TX-SR508

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime

Sennheiser HD 555 w/ Auzentech X-Fi Forte. When playing on PC of course. When I need to use my headphones for consoles, I plug them into my Onkyo TX-SR508

ChubbyGuy40
Do headphones sound good when plugged into receivers? I tried it once and was disappointed to see that while my Onkyo 607 had many 2.1 surround sound emulation features, it had no headphone surround sound emulation. It's not a big deal but it would've been cool.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

I use the tritton ax pros. The surround sound makes a huge difference. I track people through walls in COD and CS all the time.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

KHAndAnime

Do headphones sound good when plugged into receivers? I tried it once and was disappointed to see that while my Onkyo 607 had many 2.1 surround sound emulation features, it had no headphone surround sound emulation. It's not a big deal but it would've been cool.

Receivers can be good, but lower end ones will not help that much.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

NVIDIATI

Is the 607 considered low end? I don't know too much about receivers. :)
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Do headphones sound good when plugged into receivers? I tried it once and was disappointed to see that while my Onkyo 607 had many 2.1 surround sound emulation features, it had no headphone surround sound emulation. It's not a big deal but it would've been cool.KHAndAnime

It's hard to judge, but its most likely in the low to mid end. Though I don't know Onkyo that well, I'm more of a Pioneer Elite or Denon person. Though if you want something affordable to power your headphones an average desktop headphone amp should be just fine. Unless you're like me who has the AKG K702 which uses up a lot of power and is in need of a stronger amp.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Do headphones sound good when plugged into receivers? I tried it once and was disappointed to see that while my Onkyo 607 had many 2.1 surround sound emulation features, it had no headphone surround sound emulation. It's not a big deal but it would've been cool.KHAndAnime

They sounded alright. Not as good as PC sound but it's not definitely not something to complain about unless your a nitpicker to th extreme. I haven't tried them on the Onkyo yet though. Haven't had time to play consoles during the night when I need headphones, so I'm always using my 7.1 setup. I remember using them with my HK AVR 154 though. I had them plugged in all the time so I didn't have to switch it from the PC to consoles, plus my X-Fi Titanium didn't have an built in amp.

It had 2 different Dolby Headphone options. The default one I always used. No options to adjust any EQ or anything though. I don't know if it was like all channels mixed into the left/right sides or what, but it was the option that sounded good. The 2nd one seemed to be like an emulation surround, like CMSS or any other virtual surround for headphones, which all sound like ass. It really murdered the SQ.

brown_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 brown_flame

I use the tritton ax pros. The surround sound makes a huge difference. I track people through walls in COD and CS all the time.

i5750at4Ghz

i have been hearing alot of good and bad about the tritton ax pros, 1 side is that they are one of the best in terms of positioning and overall sound stage. 2nd side is that they break easily and have faulty wiring and the mic is not good. and if u look at the sharkoons, they are practically a tritton ax pro clone minus the bad sides of the trittons, which is what i have heard. i use the astro a40 setup, although i use the turtle beach hpx headset. i kinda regret buying the a40 headset bcuz it is too over priced and performs average. the mixamp is amazing and worth every penny. i was going to buy another amp/headset for either my ps3 or new xbox, but i mite just stick with the astros, or i mite get the sharkoons.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChubbyGuy40

If you don't need a mic, you really, really don't want to have to settle for "gaming headsets."

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NVIDIATI

^ Agreed. Buying "gaming headphones" is just as bad as buying Beats by Dre, or an Alienware computer. If you want something good get a true audiophile pair of headphones.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

If you don't need a mic, you really, really don't want to have to settle for "gaming headsets."

ChubbyGuy40
There's no reason the mic has to be attached anyways. Headphones+ standalone mic> headsets
brown_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 brown_flame
you guys are right, gaming headsets do suck and are over priced, but the amps such as the astro mix amp and turtle beach dss are a very smart solution for gaming, (for consoles atleast). there are many amazing headphones u can choose even if u have to use a stand-alone mic with it. such as the AKG, Sennheiser, Grado, Denon, Audio Technica, etc, all those are great solutions and audiophile standards.
brown_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 brown_flame
lol im pretty sure more than 4 ppl who voted use amps or headsets.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I usually use a 5.1 setup for my PC, but I have a set of Turtle Beach PX21 headphones. I chose those because they are compatible with PC, 360 and PS3 - something not many others are able to do. There are plenty of great headphones for the PC, but not so many that can be used across all three, and I would mainly be using the headphones for playing on console. Only had them for a couple of months, but I'm happy with them. Very little setup required, and a very long cable allowing you to sit the other side of the room while playing on consoles, and not having to be within 1-1.5m of it. 16 feet of cable, plus another 1m of extension from the pass through RCA jacks.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ChubbyGuy40

I usually use a 5.1 setup for my PC, but I have a set of Turtle Beach PX21 headphones. I chose those because they are compatible with PC, 360 and PS3 - something not many others are able to do. There are plenty of great headphones for the PC, but not so many that can be used across all three, and I would mainly be using the headphones for playing on console.

Only had them for a couple of months, but I'm happy with them. Very little setup required, and a very long cable allowing you to sit the other side of the room while playing on consoles, and not having to be within 1-1.5m of it. 16 feet of cable, plus another 1m of extension from the pass through RCA jacks.Avenger1324

You can use headphones with anything, PC or console. Headphone amps and some converter cables (if needed) allow this. Only problem is the mic.

brown_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 brown_flame
well, the mic issue can be assisted if u use a separete usb mic i guess, but the px21's are stereo. theyr styll good, its just simulated 5.1 is way better. astros are actually also capable of 7.1, but i dont think there is any source out with that yet .
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NVIDIATI

Currently I have the AKG K702s plugged into a Pioneer receiver. I'm going to be ordering a Little Dot MK.III (or MK IV SE) amp and a Little Dot DAC_I.

LD MKIII

LD DAC_I

brown_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 brown_flame

Currently I have the AKG K702s plugged into a Pioneer receiver. I'm going to be ordering a Little Dot MK.III (or MK IV SE) amp and a Little Dot DAC_I.

LD MKIII

LD DAC_I

NVIDIATI

wow those amps look sexy, the first one i have seen in another version, much bigger, but how do the sound, i use this : CmoyBB with bass boost

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]I usually use a 5.1 setup for my PC, but I have a set of Turtle Beach PX21 headphones. I chose those because they are compatible with PC, 360 and PS3 - something not many others are able to do. There are plenty of great headphones for the PC, but not so many that can be used across all three, and I would mainly be using the headphones for playing on console.

Only had them for a couple of months, but I'm happy with them. Very little setup required, and a very long cable allowing you to sit the other side of the room while playing on consoles, and not having to be within 1-1.5m of it. 16 feet of cable, plus another 1m of extension from the pass through RCA jacks.ChubbyGuy40

You can use headphones with anything, PC or console. Headphone amps and some converter cables (if needed) allow this. Only problem is the mic.

My mistake - that's what I meant to write. Plenty of USB headphones, but few that include a mic that can be used on all 3.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

I have a pair of Tritton's 5.1 AX Pro headphones that I use for my PS3 and Xbox 360.

When gaming on PC, I use my Sennheiser HD555 headphones and my CMoy amp.

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts
I'm still using the older Tritton AX360. The mic broke a while back and I'm using a wireless mic along with them.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

wow those amps look sexy, the first one i have seen in another version, much bigger, but how do the sound, i use this : CmoyBB with bass boost

brown_flame
Look at big tube amps if you want sexy amps:  I got some Audio Technicas A900s and Maverick Bac Magic (XiangSheng DAC-01 clone)
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

LD MKIII

LD DAC_I

brown_flame

I'm guessing you're talking about the MK VIII? anyways I think I'm going wiht the MK IV instead of the MK III. MK IV:

I might build a CMoy myself for travel, but still unlikely considering I never take my K702s out of the house. Though If I get the Sennheiser HD800s I'll most defiantly need a balanced/high imp. Amp. which is why I'm getting the DAC_I because of the balanced XLR out.

Aeooioio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Aeooioio
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I had a pair of Sennheiser PC350s left over from my PC gaming days when switched over to the Xbox 360. I was a bit dismayed to find that the range of gaming headsets for the Xbox 360 ranged from pure crap (Microsoft's headset) to fairly expensive (Astros, Trittons, etc.). Obviously I didn't want crap, and I simply could not believe that the various Xbox 360 headsets out there would sound better than my PC350s. I was also being cheap and didn't want to spend $100 or more when I had perfectly good PC gaming hardware to salvage.

After an exhaustive search for a solution (I won't bore you with details), I finally found a solution that I am rather pleased with: an Xjacker Gaming Headset Amp. It plugs directly into the Xbox 360, is USB powered, sounds bright/clear/LOUD, and powers my PC350 with little/no effort. All for just $20. Gotta say, one of the better purchasing decisions I've made in recent times.

Here's a link to what I use: http://www.xjacker.com/ampkit.php

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Just the usual AKG K701 + any number of modern or vintage receivers. They sound incredible on everything.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KHAndAnime
Grados SR-225i. I'd hook them up to my DACMagic but I'm too broke to purchase an amp. And I find them satisfactory through my Forte anyways.