Which 2012 game should I get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheFatPerson (1806 posts) -

Before I took my broken rig to the tech and found out that I need to spend 150-200$ on a new mobo+repair services, I would have happily paid for a bunch of games that released this year, but with all circumstances taken into account, I can only get one; as I want to get a couple of other games that I've been wanting to add to my Steam collection that I've missed out: (particularly I Am Alive, Arkham City, Alan Wake, Far Cry 1 if I end up going with FC3 and maybe any other cheap games/RPGs I may want that have slipped by me).

I'm kind of torn between Assassin's Creed 3, Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3 and Hitman Absolution. I've also heard a lot of great things about Sleeping Dogs, even though it looks quite generic to me.

So I'm asking you guys to play the decision maker here; even though it might seem unnecessary to do so. Which game should I go with? Quite frankly, I'd love to try them all but I can only pick one and I'm having trouble deciding. If it helps, I bought Dishonored while it was on sale and I'm quite digging that game; I love the mechanics in that game and the freedom of choice that you get when you play. Really has a Deus Ex feel to it, though I really don't know how agreeable that comparison is.

#2 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs isn't generic, it might look that way but it's really a great game.

So get either Sleeping Dogs or Far Cry 3. Both are great fun and good ports.

#4 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

Those are all wonderful games. Far Cry 3 is probably the best of the bunch, with Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution right behind it. Hitman wasn't perfect but there's something about it that clicked with me. Of course, not as great as Blood Money. Hitman Absolution's gunplay is extremely satisfying. Nothing like shooting an enemy in the heart with a pistol+silencer; to hear the sound go off and blood splatter with a huge hole in his chest. I played combination of stealth, subduing enemies, and sometimes killing them softly.

The one I liked the least was Sleeping Dogs. It's a very good game, but I was expecting better combat in the likes of Batman Arkham. It just didn't have that fluidity and flow I was looking for. Maybe that's how it was designed and that's fine. It's still good. AC3 is great overall but it has its issues with controls. Something felt very off. It didn't make great use of parkour in its new setting.

#5 Posted by TheFatPerson (1806 posts) -

I really have been considering Far Cry 3. Another Crysis (original, mind you) type of game sounds pretty cool.

For Assassin's Creed...if I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2, think it'd make sense to just go with Brotherhood, since I haven't played that yet?

#6 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

I really have been considering Far Cry 3. Another Crysis (original, mind you) type of game sounds pretty cool.

For Assassin's Creed...if I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2, think it'd make sense to just go with Brotherhood, since I haven't played that yet?

TheFatPerson
Brotherhood is worth a playthrough if you're an Assassin's Creed fan. Revelations, I would probably just watch a youtube wallkthrough had I known what I was getting into. Now, all this is fine if you have all the time in the world. I just didn't find Revelations to be worth my time.
#7 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

Out of hte ones you mentioned I enjoyed Farcry3 and Sleeping Dogs the most. The rest did some stuff good but not on the level of Sleepign Dogs and especially FC3.

As for AC, the only games worth playing are AC2, AC:B and AC3, stay the hell away from the horrible Revelations.

#8 Posted by TheFatPerson (1806 posts) -

I just wanna know, what is it that makes Sleeping Dogs such a great game? Pardon me for my ignorance; I haven't exactly been able to watch footage, look up reviews and keep up with any of the hype for it, simply due to lack of time.

Avatar image for HouseMuzik4Life
#9 Posted by HouseMuzik4Life (134 posts) -
Far Cry 3 , have heard good things about Sleeping Dogs but havent gotten around to buying it...And dont buy hitman, borrow it from a friend or wait for it to be 20 bucks
#10 Posted by GunMonster (25 posts) -
Assassin Creed & Far Cry, personal best of 2012~
#11 Posted by TheFatPerson (1806 posts) -

So I guess it really comes down to Far Cry 3 or Sleeping Dogs, I guess. Both look like pretty good games. Which one should I get? Both have their pros. Also, if I get Sleeping Dogs, I could also squeeze in another recent release; something like Hitman Absolution or Assassin's Creed 3, since it's on sale. At the same time, I reaaallly want Far Cry 3, it looks so much fun.

#12 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

So I guess it really comes down to Far Cry 3 or Sleeping Dogs, I guess. Both look like pretty good games. Which one should I get? Both have their pros. Also, if I get Sleeping Dogs, I could also squeeze in another recent release; something like Hitman Absolution or Assassin's Creed 3, since it's on sale. At the same time, I reaaallly want Far Cry 3, it looks so much fun.

TheFatPerson

Given the choice I would choose Far Cry

#14 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Wouldn't get a single game out of those, if I'd be slightly interested I'd get FC 3 as for AC series, 3 is garbage, definitely get Brotherhood and Revelations which is the best AC there is story wise.
#15 Posted by TheFatPerson (1806 posts) -

Cool, Far Cry 3 it is.

I'm also gonna buy the first one and download it and play that until my main gaming rig gets fixed up and ready to go. Far Cry 3 looks pretty fun; I don't think I'll regret getting it.

#16 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

Wouldn't get a single game out of those, if I'd be slightly interested I'd get FC 3 as for AC series, 3 is garbage, definitely get Brotherhood and Revelations which is the best AC there is story wise.DanielDust

The reincarnation of JakeS

#17 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Wouldn't get a single game out of those, if I'd be slightly interested I'd get FC 3 as for AC series, 3 is garbage, definitely get Brotherhood and Revelations which is the best AC there is story wise.HyperWarlock

What, I need to like games just because?

I got MP 3 and AC 3, rest I am not a fan of, especially agent 47 and those two I got are crap, MP 3 is a terribly boring movie (literally) and AC 3 is a disaster of epic proportions, gameplay is mediocre (they broke free running), story is the worst I ever experienced in a game (still not up to Bethesda's "standards") and the world and theme are terrible, don't care about America, since it's not an interesting part of history (neither is the part presented in AC 3, with French and Brits).

You're the hipster of this forum, since you treat everyone like a hipster and that only makes you one.

#18 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Wouldn't get a single game out of those, if I'd be slightly interested I'd get FC 3 as for AC series, 3 is garbage, definitely get Brotherhood and Revelations which is the best AC there is story wise.DanielDust

What, I need to like games just because?

I got MP 3 and AC 3, rest I am not a fan of, especially agent 47 and those two I got are crap, MP 3 is a terribly boring movie (literally) and AC 3 is a disaster of epic proportions, gameplay is mediocre (they broke free running), story is the worst I ever experienced in a game (still not up to Bethesda's "standards") and the world and theme are terrible, don't care about America, since it's not an interesting part of history (neither is the part presented in AC 3, with French and Brits).

You're the hipster of this forum, since you treat everyone like a hipster and that only makes you one.

I don't treat everyone like a hipster at all.

#19 Posted by bonafidetk (3911 posts) -

The only game out of those 4 which didnt turn out to be a pretty big disappointment was FarCry 3.

MP3 had a horrible story, and around 4 hours of cutscenes in a 10 hour game. Multiplayer is a hackfest and Rockstar dont care.

AC3, so many things wrong with this, I loved AC2 and ACB but this one was a huge mistep. The first 7 hours feel like a poor tutorial and they hamstring you on every mission.

HM:A was such a huge deviation from the previous hitman games. Its very akin to SplinterCell:Conviction, they even stole the point shooting mechanic from it.

#20 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

The only game out of those 4 which didnt turn out to be a pretty big disappointment was FarCry 3.

MP3 had a horrible story, and around 4 hours of cutscenes in a 10 hour game. Multiplayer is a hackfest and Rockstar dont care.

AC3, so many things wrong with this, I loved AC2 and ACB but this one was a huge mistep. The first 7 hours feel like a poor tutorial and they hamstring you on every mission.

HM:A was such a huge deviation from the previous hitman games. Its very akin to SplinterCell:Conviction, they even stole the point shooting mechanic from it.

bonafidetk

I like HItman Absolution for what it is. It isn't without its design flaws. It should be purchased on sale at $40 or lower. My favorite Hitman game is still Blood Money. I remember my friend and I would play the hell out of that game, replaying levels over and over. When we were broke in college and we couldn't afford new games, we played Hitman Blood Money haha.

#21 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but Max Payne 3 on sale goes for $15. It's the only game out of the ones you mentioned that I played. It's really good, it'll run you about 10 hours or so.