Where are the gamespot reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

khotanav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 khotanav
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

What's with Gamespot being tardy in reviewing some of the newest PC games? No jericho, Tabula Rasa or hellgate london reviews so far.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Here.
Srinivassa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Srinivassa
Member since 2003 • 671 Posts
I think they finally reviewed Jericho, didn't they? Basically gamespot doesn't give a flip about PC gamers. I was surprised when they reviewed "Time Shift." Then, I realized it was multi-platform. There's just more and more console gamers clogging up the world.
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts
Maybe they fired the previous reviewers and replaced them with ones who aren't horribly biased towards over-hyped crappy console games?
Simechak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Simechak
Member since 2002 • 1497 Posts
Yeah, where in the hell are my Hellgate and Witcher reviews?
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

Both games require a huge time investment. Just to get through the main story in HG:L is 30 hours (not even including playing the MP) and The Witcher boasts 80 hours of campaign + quests.

It takes time to review games like this...no need for conspiracies and silly things :roll:

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

Both games require a huge time investment. Just to get through the main story in HG:L is 30 hours (not even including playing the MP) and The Witcher boasts 80 hours of campaign + quests.

It takes time to review games like this...no need for conspiracies and silly things :roll:

dnuggs40

Agree

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

Lidve

Agree

Yep, it's a lot faster to review 6 hour long Heavenly Sword than 60h long The Witcher. And I'm not sure about their staff situation, but I remember hearing comments that there would only be one real PC reviewer in the staff? Not sure if that's true or not, but if it is I'd rather have them give him enough time to review all the major PC games instead of putting someone who normally reviews platformers and sport games on the job.
OneEarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OneEarth
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts

dnuggs40

Oh but the HG:L Game Guide is up and running for 2 days now...isn't that funny? and maybe, annoying?!

And I think they get the copy of the game before actual release date so that they can post the review just in time. But they don't.

Most of the times I've seen Gamespot as the last reviewer of games. I don't know why but it looks kinda "old stuff" reading the review in GS after we already know about the game.

I've been waiting for the Witcher review for eternity and it still looks like somewhere in distant future..:(

Simechak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Simechak

dnuggs40

I've already finished The Witcher, and I have a full time job, family, and go to night school. A person whose job it is to play games should have finished by now and have reviewed it. There is no excuse.

DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkRecruit
Member since 2005 • 3391 Posts
And what about CoD4?
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

OneEarth

Oh but the HG:L Game Guide is up and running for 2 days now...isn't that funny? and maybe, annoying?!

And I think they get the copy of the game before actual release date so that they can post the review just in time. But they don't.

Most of the times I've seen Gamespot as the last reviewer of games. I don't know why but it looks kinda "old stuff" reading the review in GS after we already know about the game.

I've been waiting for the Witcher review for eternity and it still looks like somewhere in distant future..:(

Oh but nothing...that "game guide" is a bare-boned guide to the basics of the game...not a in depth run down of everything including the main campaign.

And if they get an early copy or not is not up to gamespot, that is up to the developers/publishers. PC Gamer got the exclusive early review. Some companies allow more then one reviewer to get early copies, this game did not. No conspiracy here...

And maybe Gamespot likes to do actual in depth reviews, rather then just review some early impressions? Heck...I saw a review of HG:L based off of the BETA!!!!!!

There is no conspiracy...

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

Simechak

I've already finished The Witcher, and I have a full time job, family, and go to night school. A person whose job it is to play games should have finished by now and have reviewed it. There is no excuse.

But you didn't have to take a week to learn how to use a mouse and keyboard to play a game :P

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

Simechak

've already finished The Witcher, and I have a full time job, family, and go to night school. A person whose job it is to play games should have finished by now and have reviewed it. There is no excuse.

The Witcher came out 6 days ago (US Release - Oct 30th), if you played 80 hours (heck, lets say you only played 40)in the last 6 days I can imagine your family is pretty pissed at you right now...

SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts
I'd chalk it up to a combination of things: PC games getting less attention than console games (because consoles havea much bigger audience), PC games being deeper and more time consuming then shallow console games, multiple good PC games coming out within a short time span, and probably only a few guys trying to put together a review for a bunch of different games. Fortunately, Hellgate, Tabula Rasa, and The Witcher are all really fun games. I recommend each of them.
gcf0413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gcf0413
Member since 2005 • 518 Posts

The Jericho review has been up for a few days.

As for Hellgate and Tabula Rasa, those reviews won't be up for a little while. Gamespot doesn't post MMO reviews until a week or 2 after release (or more).Since the gameplay experience hingesentirely on playing with a massive number of peoplean early review could turn out to be completely inaccurate. Waiting until the general public has a chance to jump on the servers just makes sense.

Simechak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Simechak
[QUOTE="Simechak"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

dnuggs40

've already finished The Witcher, and I have a full time job, family, and go to night school. A person whose job it is to play games should have finished by now and have reviewed it. There is no excuse.

The Witcher came out 6 days ago (US Release - Oct 30th), if you played 80 hours (heck, lets say you only played 40)in the last 6 days I can imagine your family is pretty pissed at you right now...

Right, but for a guy who JOB IT IS to play games to have not finished it right now, is pretty sad.

Xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Xshinobi
Member since 2003 • 3011 Posts
Well seeing as how Hellgate and Tabula Rasa are games without a ending it takes time to review.
greatmax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 greatmax1
Member since 2006 • 1868 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="Simechak"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

Simechak

Right, but for a guy who JOB IT IS to play games to have not finished it right now, is pretty sad.

how long did the game last you? Im curious as to how long the game is, the said 80 hours seems a little overexaggerated
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="Simechak"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

Simechak

40/6 =about 7hours a day. On top of that, he must..gasp!...write an ARCTICLE, then have it submitted and edited. Seems like things are fairly on track no?

Some of you cry about everything...

Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts

Maybe they fired the previous reviewers and replaced them with ones who aren't horribly biased towards over-hyped crappy console games?D9-THC

You can dream My Friend........

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I don't put much stock in gamespot reviews, but one thing I do admire about them is they take their time. Sometimes you may have an impression of a game after ten hours that is completely different ten hours later. Sometimes games feel better than they are as you're experiencing them, and only upon later reflection do flaws come to light.

I think it's good to absolutely finish a game and then take time to reflect on it, when writing reviews. Rushing things just leads to mistakes.

Srinivassa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Srinivassa
Member since 2003 • 671 Posts
Yeah, I give GS a pretty hard time about PC games. Not all of it is their fault though. They do favor console games. (I noted that "Time Shift" was reviewed the day it was released because it is multi-platform.) Still, they do, as was said, have to rely on a publisher to give them an advance copy. Unfortunately, because of the ability to more easily hot patch a PC game, they are often riddled with bugs even a couple of weeks before the release date. Developers want "just in time" publishing. It would look REALLY bad for a game to release an advance copy to a reviewer that still had a lot of major bugs. Often times, GS does NOT have any extra time to work on a PC game. They are starting their reviews at release. As far as the games taking a lot longer, I don't think that's a valid excuse except in MMO's. (Yes, they always take 2 weeks or more to review an MMO after release.) I really do think GS favors console games because they have a wider audience. Late PC reviews are not entirely their fault, however.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dnuggs40
It's been reviewed...