When will I need DirectX10?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Black-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Black-Magic
Member since 2002 • 584 Posts
I'm worried about buying only a DX9 compatible card and not being able to play games coming out for the next few years. I understand its not very useful right.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts

WHen do you plan to purchase a new card?

For me personally I don't want to touch Vista at all so that leaves me out in the cold if some over the top DX10 game comes out.

You know you can always buy a DX10 card now, not that they are highly refined atm, but you'll still get a speed boost in DX9 games as well so it's not a pointless purchase.

StealtherX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 StealtherX
Member since 2005 • 260 Posts

You will need a Dx10 video card plus Vista in order to play Dx10 only games. If you can afford a top of the line Dx9 card, go for it because they are not that expensive. I would be surprised to see Dx10 only games in 2008 beside games that MS owns.If you have or can afford Vista and a top of the line Dx10 card, go this route, but remember most of the Dx10 cards are not that good. Any video card under the Nvidia 8800gts is not really worth the money.roulettethedog

Ditto. Developers know there are tons of pc gamers who are in your boat and who are not going to purchase a DX10 card and vista right now. Most, if not all, pc games will be DX9 compatible in 2008. The only question is money. If you can afford buying a 8800gts or better right now, then buy it. It's better to just buy that instead of paying $200 for a good dx9 card now, and then pay another $200 2-3 years from now for a good dx10 card. Might as well spend $300-$400 now on a dx10 card and just buy vista later.