What's your best PC gaming memories?

#1 Edited by warmblur (1099 posts) -

What PC gaming memories stick out to you in the back of your mind that gives you that nice nostalgia feeling? here's my list.

• Getting into PC gaming back in 2005 from the game Medal of Honor Allied Assault and playing the MP and eventually joining a clan.
  • Playing F.E.A.R. in the Winter of 2006 although I bought it on release day in 05 I never finished it for whatever reason. When I started a new game that Winter it instantly became my favorite FPS of all time and still is today.
  • Playing Battlefield 2 with my old clan in the summer of 06 and 2007.
  • Receiving my Oculus Rift in 2016 and having my mind blown.
  • GTAV finally comes to PC in April of 2015.
  • Playing Max Payne 2 on PC and seeing how it's miles better then the PS2 version.
  • Discovering MAME and playing Mortal Kombat 2.
#2 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29497 posts) -
  1. Playing the original Age of Empires with friends
  2. First time playing the Battlefield 1942 wake island demo (blew my mind)
  3. Company of Heroes 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 matches. I'm not a big 1v1 player, but playing this with other people is so much fun. It's a proper team game.
  4. Mods. Just mods in general make PC 200% more fun.
#3 Posted by PcGamingRig (7386 posts) -

• Playing Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone at Christmas, first time I had a proper game on PC as a kid and completed it.
  • Deliberately killing Sims in various different way with my sister.
  • Playing Hitman Contracts, my first proper adult game as a child.
  • Playing Rollercoaster Tycoon with my sister.
  • Playing the Acclaim Batman game on PC, and not being able to get it to run in DOS, or work out the controls.
  • Multiplayer Worms games with my mates.
#4 Posted by Jd1680a (5960 posts) -

The day skyrim was released.

The first weekend after playing skyrim, my mind was blown.

Sailing in witcher 3 with Fields of Skelling playing.

#5 Posted by thereal25 (1639 posts) -

Playing Fallout 3: that music, the humor in the game, the immersion.

F.E.A.R single player and multi.: both were impressive

the witcher 3, the evil within, xcom 1 & 2,

Deus ex: the original - that story!!!

Serious sam the second encounter: good escapism

Tomb raider: the angel of darkness: I enjoyed it until I got stuck

Fallout new vegas: old world blues was probably the highlight of the whole game

Plenty of older games from the 90's that I enjoyed and bits and pieces from games that might not have been that great on the whole but had some fun moments.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
#6 Edited by PfizersaurusRex (1185 posts) -

Max Payne 1 and 2

C&C Generals

Half Life 2 (getting out of the train station - WOW)

Fallout 3 (entering Megaton - another WOW moment)

Playing Rally Championship 2000 with my dad

#7 Posted by VagrantSnow (93 posts) -

When I was younger, my friends and I would play anything and everything together. RPGs, FPS, RTS we played them all. Made the games a whole lot more fun than playing multiplayer by myself.

Likewise, with another forum I used to frequent, we had arranged a weekly Dawn of War night where a bunch of us would play Dawn of War with each other.

Staying up to 7 in the morning in a marathon game of Battlefield 2 in a LAN with friends.

Winning a local Unreal Tournament... tournament

Learning how to use worldbuilder and other similar mapping tools. I really enjoy making maps :)

#8 Posted by ajinstorm51 (26 posts) -

The classic pinball game

#9 Posted by DudeBroPartyYo (1195 posts) -

I didnt start playing PC properly until some 2005-06. Few great memories on the platform. I was mainly PS guy before PC, im still a PS guy haha

• My cousin giving me my first Pentium PC after family moved to Australia so i could play F1 challenge 99-02
  • Experiencing F.E.A.R. and its expansions. One of my all time fave single player fps, constantly on edge
  • Experiencing beauty and frustration with first two Gothic games
  • Driving to Romans apartment at the start of GTA IV. Just felt that grittiness and cold atmosphere straight away
  • First car mod i ever installed into San Andreas, after game crashing first few times haha
  • Getting out of the sewers in TeS Oblivion
#10 Posted by JohnWill03 (37 posts) -

playing wow for the first time haha

#12 Posted by TryIt (12827 posts) -

I started PC gaming long before the first item on my list just for the record

• 2000 Sims - what in the world is this? this is awesome!
  • 2002 Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights playing for hours multiple days and nights (NwN eventually lead me to programming)
  • 2008 Log into the MMO Darkfall and oh my god this is exactly what I felt Morrowind MMO would be like.
  • 2011(ish) Wurm..this game looks horrible, is really slow...but i cant stop playing it wow! crafting and building is amazing
  • 2013 Kerbal Space Program - oh my god this is intense and exciting AND just happens to not be combat related and science related? totally changed my views on what is possible in video games.
  • 2014 loosing my first fort in 7 Days to Die. First time I have ever lost play progress in a destruction and it motivated me more to get it right a second shot.
  • 2015 I cant keep up with all the games coming out now that I want to play, why in the world cant AAA titles be this good at making games.
  • 2017 I had a cold, was home for a week, freezing outside, played Elite Dangerous every day for a week until it felt like it was all real to me.
  • 2018 I had a week off, beautiful cold weather, plenty of time, no 'to dos' and just played My Summer Car for 3 days straight.

#13 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24522 posts) -

1989: First time I played Amiga Falcon MP via modem 1v1 dogfight against a friend at the other side of town. Smooth gameplay too.

1992 First time I played Dune 2 (my first real RTS).

1993 Shareware Doom IPX LAN multiplayer

1993: A bunch of CD-based games (allowed voice-overs and text) such as Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

1994 1942: Pacific Air War (first texture-mapped flight sim to me), Steel Panthers, DOTT

1997 Quake MP: Went from SVGA Quake at barely 20 fps to GLQuake at 40-50 fps. F-in A!

1997 Dungeon Keeper, Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far

1998 Quake 2, Jane's WW2 Fighters, European Air War, Falcon 4.0

1999 Dungeon Keeper 2, Homeworld

2000 Combat Flight Simulator 2

2003 Homeworld 2

2002 Battlefield 1942 MP and Desert Combat mod.

2005 Battlefield 2 MP.

Yeah, I know. I only play SP games nowadays. But, some of my very best memories were the MP aspect, esp when the concepts were new.

#14 Posted by Vaidream45 (1423 posts) -

Boot discs

#15 Posted by SystemsGO (1285 posts) -

For me it was playing Crysis fully modded out. It was then that I knew PC gaming was for me.

After that it was modded Fallout 3, then modded STALKER, and then modded Skyrim. Each game blew me away in it's own right.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
#16 Posted by thedarklinglord (938 posts) -

LAN parties.

#17 Posted by johnd13 (9496 posts) -

I remember my first games as a kid. Tarzan and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Also, Escape from Monkey Island 4, which I couldn't progress because I barely understood English at the time.

My godmother got me Pirates of the Caribbean 2003, one of the first RPGs I ever played and still the best pirate game IMO.

And of course, TES IV: Oblivion and the iconic exit from the sewers.