What's with Windows 10?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

It totally bricked my Titan. Is this widespread?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Legend002 said:

I find it rare that an OS would brick a video card. Maybe it's a driver issue?

Hence why I always wait at least 6 months before I upgrade to a new OS. There are always issues that arise at the start.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legend002

@FelipeInside: It's definitely a driver issue. Just "downgraded" back to 8.1 and it is running again.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside

@Legend002 said:

@FelipeInside: It's definitely a driver issue. Just "downgraded" back to 8.1 and it is running again.

Cool.

Just wait for NVIDIA to release a couple more drivers before you upgrade back up to Win10.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

@Legend002: is it easy to go back to previous OS after you had upgraded to windows 10? or did you have to reinstall windows 8.1?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

@Yams1980 said:

@Legend002: is it easy to go back to previous OS after you had upgraded to windows 10? or did you have to reinstall windows 8.1?

You don't need to reinstall Windows 8.1

Win10 comes with a rollback (uninstall) feature.

SrgtSaggy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SrgtSaggy101
Member since 2004 • 1956 Posts

you have the win 8.1 video drivers go to nvidia and dl the win 10 drivers fixed it for me

potasium56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 potasium56
Member since 2015 • 35 Posts

I don't know i have a gtx 760 gpu and mine seems to be preforming much better then when i had win7 ?

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Legend002

@thegreentide: Well I definitely wasn't lying. There's no reason to lie. lol

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@Legend002 said:

@thegreentide: Well I definitely wasn't lying. There's no reason to lie. lol

NVIDIA just released new Win10 drivers if you want to give it a try, but if you're not impatient, I would wait a few months.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Yams1980 said:

You don't need to reinstall Windows 8.1

Win10 comes with a rollback (uninstall) feature.

That's handy to know. I might try Win10 now and rollback to Win7 if I don't like or want to wait for more kinks to be ironed out. ATM, Win7 is working perfectly fine for me, so I'm in no rush to get Win10. :)

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@SrgtSaggy101 said:

you have the win 8.1 video drivers go to nvidia and dl the win 10 drivers fixed it for me

yep, you have to reinstall Geforce Experience and then download the already released windows 10 display drivers and everything works again.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#14 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

What I'm hearing is that if you like to use steam or play pc games, you're going to have some difficulties if you're using Windows 8.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@shadowchronicle said:

What I'm hearing is that if you like to use steam or play pc games, you're going to have some difficulties if you're using Windows 8.

Kristaok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kristaok
Member since 2015 • 69 Posts

10 like 8 can go in the bin... The trash bin.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I've had nothing but pleasure from Win 10 so for (no bricked Titans), I find it massively unlikely that Win 10 "bricked" your GPU. If you're so sure then contact Microsoft.

In the SLI supported games I've tried things are smoother, Project Cars #OMG. All is well.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#18 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@FelipeInside: meant windows 10.

I've visited the Dota 2 Reddit and people who have installed it seem to get black screen problems or errors in the game. Along with that and visiting this forum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@shadowchronicle said:

I've visited the Dota 2 Reddit and people who have installed it seem to get black screen problems or errors in the game. Along with that and visiting this forum.

probably dumbasses that havn't updated their drivers properly.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

@kristaok said:

I don't like change....

I don't like advancement....

I'll just stay on Windows 95...

Kristaok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kristaok
Member since 2015 • 69 Posts

@FelipeInside: while I will call it a change, i sadly can't call it an advancement.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@kristaok said:

I don't like change....

What exactly does Windows 10 offer you? 95 to 2000 you left DOS and went to the NT kernel which is a lot more stable. You also got a lot better plug n play support, larger ram capacity support, larger hard drive partition limits, and of course NTFS. With WIndows Vista you got a lot, bitlocker, modern ahci drivers, raid drivers in the install, etc. You did lose a lot of course from a bunch of unnecessary api changes. EAX, instant audio, a TON of hardware support that will never be brought back(medicare + industrial + engineer). 7 added trim support for SSDs, cut the amount of resources used, better start menu, less cluttered desktop, etc.

With Windows 10 you currently get: more input lag in windowed mode, it's buggy, can't have a password longer than 16 characters unless you use a local account, worse start menu(you can get classic shell though), worse control panel, worse sorting options, more intrusive uac compared to windows 7 (you can't fully turn it off, just like Windows 8)

Windows 10 has multiple desktops which is nice, and of course DX12. Then again, there are no DX12 games, and Valve's source2 isn't even planned to support DX12. They are just barely adding DX11 now, and they control the two of some of the most popular pc games, DOTA 2 and CSGO. At its current state, CSGO still uses DX9. The shift to DX12 will be extremely slow, as a large percentage of people are going to stick to 7. DX12's implementation will not be fully taken advantage of because of this, so the performance gains probably won't be that much. The main genres where DX12 is going to be useful are for MMORPGs, RTS, or other genres where there are a lot of units. It's not going to do much for fps games. Thing is most MMO devs use very old builds of whatever engine they're developing on, and they want to maintain compatibility. So DX12 isn't even going to get used.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@FelipeInside said:
@kristaok said:

I don't like change....

What exactly does Windows 10 offer you? 95 to 2000 you left DOS and went to the NT kernel which is a lot more stable. You also got a lot better plug n play support, larger ram capacity support, larger hard drive partition limits, and of course NTFS. With WIndows Vista you got a lot, bitlocker, modern ahci drivers, raid drivers in the install, etc. You did lose a lot of course from a bunch of unnecessary api changes. EAX, instant audio, a TON of hardware support that will never be brought back(medicare + industrial + engineer). 7 added trim support for SSDs, cut the amount of resources used, better start menu, less cluttered desktop, etc.

With Windows 10 you currently get: more input lag in windowed mode, it's buggy, can't have a password longer than 16 characters unless you use a local account, worse start menu(you can get classic shell though), worse control panel, worse sorting options, more intrusive uac compared to windows 7 (you can't fully turn it off, just like Windows 8)

Windows 10 has multiple desktops which is nice, and of course DX12. Then again, there are no DX12 games, and Valve's source2 isn't even planned to support DX12. They are just barely adding DX11 now, and they control the two of some of the most popular pc games, DOTA 2 and CSGO. At its current state, CSGO still uses DX9. The shift to DX12 will be extremely slow, as a large percentage of people are going to stick to 7. DX12's implementation will not be fully taken advantage of because of this, so the performance gains probably won't be that much. The main genres where DX12 is going to be useful are for MMORPGs, RTS, or other genres where there are a lot of units. It's not going to do much for fps games. Thing is most MMO devs use very old builds of whatever engine they're developing on, and they want to maintain compatibility. So DX12 isn't even going to get used.

I've experience nothing like you did since I've been an Insider Preview. Now that there's already over 67 Million downloads (and more to come), Devs will be making those DX 12 games. Valve are bunch of lazy asses and don't even want to bother with updating their engine unless someone else does it ;)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@FelipeInside said:
@kristaok said:

I don't like change....

With Windows 10 you currently get: more input lag in windowed mode: most people play Full Screen but this input lag is probably only noticeable with people like you that play specific old games and get affected with a 0.1 % of lag.

It's buggy: it isn't. The release candidate was more stable than any other Windows ever, and the final version has been downloaded by 15 million people with minimal problems (of course there are issues at launch, there always is, so better to wait a few months)

can't have a password longer than 16 characters unless you use a local account: then use a local account if it affects you that much.

worse start menu(you can get classic shell though),: wrong again. It uses the best parts of Win7 and Win8 combined into one. For the first time also you can resize the menu horizontally.

worse control panel: didn't know more options in the control panel was worse...

worse sorting options: sorting what?

more intrusive uac compared to windows 7 (you can't fully turn it off, just like Windows 8): it's not intrusive, does doing an extra click really affect you that much? It's there for an extra layer of security

Windows 10 has multiple desktops which is nice: nothing new. Windows XP had multiple desktops.

and of course DX12. Then again, there are no DX12 game: it's always been like this. It can't work the other way (release DX12 games BEFORE the OS). Anyway, Deus Ex Mankind Divided early next year uses DX12.

So DX12 isn't even going to get used: eat your words in 2016 when most games will come with DX12 features. (there are already devs making new games which are considering it) Who cares about what Valve does, they aren't the only company.

We get it dude, you don't like Win10 cause you think it's intrusive and it gives you an extra 0.13% on lag on a 20 year old game.

I've told you before, no one is forcing you to upgrade. Stay on Win7 which will be supported for years to come.

For people that want to take advantage of the new features, let them. (and I'm writing this from my Win8.1 PC which I don't plan to upgrade for at least 3-4 months.)

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@Legend002 said:

You have a Titan, and you don't know how to update your drivers properly? Geez, people with all the money but zero technical expertise.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

This guy doesn't own a Titan X as he's claimed on numerous occasions and never proved to own one even with numerous requests via GPU-Z validation. He's a known Microsoft hater in System Wars, he's just here bashing Windows 10, an operating system can't brick your graphics card.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@FelipeInside said:
@kristaok said:

I don't like change....

With Windows 10 you currently get: more input lag in windowed mode: most people play Full Screen but this input lag is probably only noticeable with people like you that play specific old games and get affected with a 0.1 % of lag.

It's buggy: it isn't. The release candidate was more stable than any other Windows ever, and the final version has been downloaded by 15 million people with minimal problems (of course there are issues at launch, there always is, so better to wait a few months)

can't have a password longer than 16 characters unless you use a local account: then use a local account if it affects you that much.

worse start menu(you can get classic shell though),: wrong again. It uses the best parts of Win7 and Win8 combined into one. For the first time also you can resize the menu horizontally.

worse control panel: didn't know more options in the control panel was worse...

worse sorting options: sorting what?

more intrusive uac compared to windows 7 (you can't fully turn it off, just like Windows 8): it's not intrusive, does doing an extra click really affect you that much? It's there for an extra layer of security

Windows 10 has multiple desktops which is nice: nothing new. Windows XP had multiple desktops.

and of course DX12. Then again, there are no DX12 game: it's always been like this. It can't work the other way (release DX12 games BEFORE the OS). Anyway, Deus Ex Mankind Divided early next year uses DX12.

So DX12 isn't even going to get used: eat your words in 2016 when most games will come with DX12 features. (there are already devs making new games which are considering it) Who cares about what Valve does, they aren't the only company.

We get it dude, you don't like Win10 cause you think it's intrusive and it gives you an extra 0.13% on lag on a 20 year old game.

I've told you before, no one is forcing you to upgrade. Stay on Win7 which will be supported for years to come.

For people that want to take advantage of the new features, let them. (and I'm writing this from my Win8.1 PC which I don't plan to upgrade for at least 3-4 months.)

zzzz

I am criticizing Windows 10, of course I don't have to use it. I can still criticize it so others than make a better decision if they want to upgrade.

First of all quake live came out in 2008, not 1995. Second, I don't even play it anymore, I just play csgo which came out in 2012.

It's not .1%, it's one frame. One frame at 60hz is 16.7ms of input lag.

Yes of course you can use a local account, but why is that even there in the first place? You have to go out of your way to make a local account, it's Microsoft being crappy on security.

There aren't more options in the control panel, they even changed some of the applications to have a metro ui. It's not a consistent UI because some are like Windows 7 and some look like Windows 8.

Sorting items. If you go to add or remove programs you have to go to the top to change the sorting. For files and folders it takes several other clicks to sort by non default sorting options, e.g date created.

Windows XP does not have multiple desktops, in WIndows 10 you can press the windows key + control + arrow left/right to switch desktops. I don't mean a different user logged in.

Valve and Blizzard control the most popular pc games, every other game has a very small marketshare. You think BF's playerbase is even close to CSGO's? CSGO has an average of 500,000 active users at a time. BF is notwhere close to that.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I am criticizing Windows 10, of course I don't have to use it. I can still criticize it so others than make a better decision if they want to upgrade.

That's fine, but if you're going to criticize it then at least get your facts right and don't spread incorrect information, which is what you do most of the time when you don't like something.

Btw, XP did have multiple desktops, it was called Microsoft Power Toys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PowerToys

• Virtual Desktop Manager allows switching between four virtual desktops from the taskbar.
Bravo632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bravo632
Member since 2015 • 207 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@shadowchronicle said:

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

I see nothing but praise from Valve about DX12 ... it may not be planned now, but it likely will get implemented... but then Valve have been "behind" for years...

I dont care if CS go and dota have 2 million users between them, or blizzard ... they do what they do, many other devs will move up to DX ... afterall I'm not like some *cough* that think rainbows fart out of Valve/Blizz because they make games which people like to watch more than play themselves. (esport focused).

No matter how long it takes, things like DX12 will become a standard.

But hey, with attitudes like many negative "I DONT LIKE CHANGE" posts in forums like this, you can see why the PC gaming is held back.

EDIT

65 million people arlready upgraded, smashing all over OS upgrade records (yes I know FREE ... but cost is irrelevant if the momentum remains.)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

@MBirdy88 said:

I see nothing but praise from Valve about DX12 ... it may not be planned now, but it likely will get implemented... but then Valve have been "behind" for years...

I dont care if CS go and dota have 2 million users between them, or blizzard ... they do what they do, many other devs will move up to DX ... afterall I'm not like some *cough* that think rainbows fart out of Valve/Blizz because they make games which people like to watch more than play themselves. (esport focused).

But hey, with attitudes like many negative "I DONT LIKE CHANGE" posts in forums like this, you can see why the PC gaming is held back.

EDIT

65 million people arlready upgraded, smashing all over OS upgrade records (yes I know FREE ... but cost is irrelevant if the momentum remains.)

General feedback so far so good. A few problems here and there but that's expected in the first month of a new OS.

I might upgrade sooner than I thought then (was planning after 6 months). It's just that I have 2 Microsoft Accounts and my contacts, calendar are mixed between the two. I have to combine them into one so it's easier for me to manage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@FelipeInside said:
@MBirdy88 said:

EDIT

General feedback so far so good. A few problems here and there but that's expected in the first month of a new OS.

I might upgrade sooner than I thought then (was planning after 6 months). It's just that I have 2 Microsoft Accounts and my contacts, calendar are mixed between the two. I have to combine them into one so it's easier for me to manage.

I havn't run in to a single issue as of yet. It's a nice mix of 7 and 8 ... quite frankly better than both.

Don't listen to the nay sayers....

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@MBirdy88: where are you getting the stats for downloads? i couldn't find any links beyond the 14 million...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

@Kh1ndjal said:

@MBirdy88: where are you getting the stats for downloads? i couldn't find any links beyond the 14 million...

http://www.windowscentral.com/report-windows-10-now-installed-67-million-pcs

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@FelipeInside: thanks! i'm a little disappointed, i thought there would be a page with a counter ticking up, just under Steve Balmer's head staring into it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

@Kh1ndjal said:

@FelipeInside: thanks! i'm a little disappointed, i thought there would be a page with a counter ticking up, just under Steve Balmer's head staring into it.

Actually, there IS a page with a counter. Sorry I don't have the link but I remember seeing it on an article.

(no Balmer though)

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I've had an really unexpected boost from Windows 10, an increase in download speeds. Now this could be an anomaly but I normally max out at 17.7 MB/s 'ish and average download speed from Steam is between 12 and 15 MB/s. I've never hit 19 MB/s before and as far I know I've not had a speed boost from my ISP recently, the last time I downloaded was before I upgraded to Windows 10.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:
@shadowchronicle said:

I'd bet a dollar on that. Win10 removes all drivers

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@shadowchronicle said:

I don't think it does.

I finally got the upgrade to work and it kept my sound card and video card drivers from Win8.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Upgrading to an OS and not reformatting is typically a bad idea... well at least with windows. im not suprised if there are legacy issues. That being said, more minimal than ever.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside

@MBirdy88 said:

Upgrading to an OS and not reformatting is typically a bad idea... well at least with windows. im not suprised if there are legacy issues. That being said, more minimal than ever.

LOL.... I upgraded to Win8.1 from Win7, and now from Win8.1 to Win10. I'm on a triple upgrade scheme, hahahahahahah.

Formatting is ALWAYS better but I just couldn't be bothered reinstalling all my apps.

Saying that, the upgrade system MS has in place now is completely different from the old days. It basically does a clean install with a brand new folder and keeps minimal things from the previous OS.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@wis3boi said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@shadowchronicle said:

I don't think it does.

I finally got the upgrade to work and it kept my sound card and video card drivers from Win8.1

it kills them and then windows update tries to find them back again and redownload them. For video drivers, it fails spectacularly

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:
@FelipeInside said:
@wis3boi said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@shadowchronicle said:

I don't think it does.

it kills them and then windows update tries to find them back again and redownload them. For video drivers, it fails spectacularly

Makes sense.

I downloaded the latest NVIDIA Drivers anyway.

So far I've tested the following and they all work perfectly for those wondering:

- Netflix AUS

- Heroes of the Storm

- Hearthstone

- Steam

- MSI Afterburner

- Avast