Whats so great about WoW??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
I just recently downloaded the trial and played it for about an hour before I quit. Maybe I need to spend more time in it, but right now it seems like a pretty average game. So far CoH/CoV are better than it IMO.
hecklemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hecklemonkey
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts
It's not that it's particularly good....it's just that, once you get going and in end game, it's really addictive. There was a study done on rats where they were given a button that would dispense food. When the button ALWAYS dispensed food, the rats would ignore the button and press it when they were hungry....so they barely touched the button, overall. When the button only OCCASIONALLY dispensed food (like, one in ten or so presses), the rats would end up constantly pushing the button. Even after they had all the food they needed, the rats would just keep pushing the button. I figure WoW gamers are the rats.
davefleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 davefleet
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts

lol, I love that explanation. Genius!

Darth_Snutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Darth_Snutch
Member since 2005 • 1865 Posts

lol, I love that explanation. Genius!

davefleet
haha agreed
drblood1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 drblood1
Member since 2006 • 273 Posts
once ur not a newby in WoW n e more and u get like id say 40 it owns its so fun get on ur mount and raid newbies and do instances and battlegrounds EVEN THE INITIALS OF THE GAME SPELL WOW ITS SO GOOD
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
once ur not a newby in WoW n e more and u get like id say 40 it owns its so fun get on ur mount and raid newbies and do instances and battlegrounds EVEN THE INITIALS OF THE GAME SPELL WOW ITS SO GOODdrblood1

Your MOM upside down is WOW.
kalonoa6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 kalonoa6
Member since 2006 • 557 Posts
you can be differant races i guess
Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
once ur not a newby in WoW n e more and u get like id say 40 it owns its so fun get on ur mount and raid newbies and do instances and battlegrounds EVEN THE INITIALS OF THE GAME SPELL WOW ITS SO GOODdrblood1

So, your saying I should waste countless boring hours getting to level 40 so I can start having fun. Instead of playing something like CoH/CoV which IMO are fun even when you first start out.
Ice_Hawk_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ice_Hawk_13
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts

i believe so.

Bergy121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bergy121
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I honestly dont understand what people see in it. It's crazy at my school. Everyone loves it.
drblood1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 drblood1
Member since 2006 • 273 Posts
best thing ever thats why boi
marshbaboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 marshbaboon
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts
the reason warcraft is so great is the community.. the guilds etc. when you play for so long its like playing with family. the gameplay is actually very tactical aswell once you get to know your class.. i do have more to say on the subject... but u choose not to as im talking to a nice looking girl i know on msn.. so later XD
BlackVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BlackVII
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts
I played the 14-day free trial and I didn't really like it. It's nothing special to me.
firemonkey098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 firemonkey098
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts
I was addicting to that for so long once, I even spent 2 weeks without sleeping one time. I actually had to force myself to stop playing it. It's good because you talk to whoever and find someone you like to play with and help out a few damsil's in distress /wink. 
Pete5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#15 Pete5506
Member since 2006 • 10112 Posts
Its not great, do not start playing it, wow kills people
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts
Uhm, absolutely nothing.  It's an average/slightly below average MMORPG that has taken on a life of its own.  Then again, what was so great about the Pet Rock, The Cabbage Patch Doll, Tickle Me Elmo, etc.?  I suppose it's just another example in an endless line of  "Monkey see Monkey do!" behaviors.
PyleA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 PyleA
Member since 2005 • 2154 Posts
I guess this is one of those things that can't be explained. It really is a shame that people flock to WoW and Halo forsaking more rewarding games.
Eadara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Eadara
Member since 2006 • 2163 Posts
In my opinion and the opinion of many others it's a great game. However for some it's not, and that smaller percentage is what is most vocal on these boards or any other game forum. You'll never find a good explanation as to why it's a good game on these boards. The reason is not because it's a mediocre game, but because people would rather being playing the game they think is great than pointlessly arguing about why they think it's great. Hell, I don't even know why I'm on here.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

the reason warcraft is so great is the community.. the guilds etc. when you play for so long its like playing with family. the gameplay is actually very tactical aswell once you get to know your class.. i do have more to say on the subject... but u choose not to as im talking to a nice looking girl i know on msn.. so later XDmarshbaboon

The community are you kidding me! WoW has one of the worse communties out there populated with jerks,12 year olds, ninjas and way more... Just read teh nuemrous flame wars on their forums for a small taste of it.. There are far better communties then WoW when it comes to MMO's..

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
It steals time away from people who have alot of it.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts
[QUOTE="Eadara"]In my opinion and the opinion of many others it's a great game. However for some it's not, and that smaller percentage is what is most vocal on these boards or any other game forum. You'll never find a good explanation as to why it's a good game on these boards. The reason is not because it's a mediocre game, but because people would rather being playing the game they think is great than pointlessly arguing about why they think it's great. Hell, I don't even know why I'm on here.

Or maybe it's because the people who think it's great can't come up with anything more tangible than the typical, "it's the most popular so it must be the best" argument.  Which, when you take WoW's core community into account shouldn't come as much of a shock.  Heck, I'm generally surprised and in awe when a WoW fan can spell correctly.  I suppose I can't really expect them to string a few cognizant sentences together to explain and support their immutable devotion for their favorite game. :shock:
nivet14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nivet14
Member since 2006 • 5329 Posts
Nothing
Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nerkcon
Member since 2006 • 4707 Posts
[QUOTE="Eadara"]In my opinion and the opinion of many others it's a great game. However for some it's not, and that smaller percentage is what is most vocal on these boards or any other game forum. You'll never find a good explanation as to why it's a good game on these boards. The reason is not because it's a mediocre game, but because people would rather being playing the game they think is great than pointlessly arguing about why they think it's great. Hell, I don't even know why I'm on here.-wildflower-

Or maybe it's because the people who think it's great can't come up with anything more tangible than the typical, "it's the most popular so it must be the best" argument.  Which, when you take WoW's core community into account shouldn't come as much of a shock.  Heck, I'm generally surprised and in awe when a WoW fan can spell correctly.  I suppose I can't really expect them to string a few cognizant sentences together to explain and support their immutable devotion for their favorite game. :shock:

The only idiot I see is you. "ON A SERVER A GUY CLALED ME A NOOB SO THE ENITRRE GAMME ALLLS 8 MILLIONZ PEOPLEZZZ ARE MENA MEANSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I don't like it either. But I seem to be the only guy who doesnt like it, but acutely 'played' it. Its too easy I get to level 14 or so then delete and start a new character see if I can have a better start. And I look into the future seeing what I'm going to do at higher levels... Lets see...killing a boss over and over again until all 40+ people have a full set of epic gear? f*** that! It seems to be all about gear hunting. I'm trying guild wars next.
777rak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 777rak
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

It's not that it's particularly good....it's just that, once you get going and in end game, it's really addictive. There was a study done on rats where they were given a button that would dispense food. When the button ALWAYS dispensed food, the rats would ignore the button and press it when they were hungry....so they barely touched the button, overall. When the button only OCCASIONALLY dispensed food (like, one in ten or so presses), the rats would end up constantly pushing the button. Even after they had all the food they needed, the rats would just keep pushing the button. I figure WoW gamers are the rats.hecklemonkey

LOL haha Great explanation

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
nothing at all is good about it
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Hey, not everyone can like WoW, even if it is a blast to play.  Simple as that.

Now, if you excuse me, I got some buttons to push *sqeek squeek*

But seriously, to answer your question, things I like about WoW are:
-The community
-The classes, races, and environment
-Its good for both the first-time and experienced MMORPG'er
-Fun instances (havent experienced end-game content)
-Doesnt penalize the casual gamer.

Thats the thing about WoW; you alwayshear either huge amounts of uninformed haters, or the small minority of ex-WoW players who say that since they lost control of their lives, the game must be addictive.

What you donthear are the millions (i.e. the majority) of WoW players who are casual gamers, and play for maybe two hours a day and maybe an extra four hours on the weekend.  My guild has over 450 members, and of those members I would say over 70% of them havent logged on for more than 2 days...doesnt sound very addictive to me.

viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts
As trendy as it might be to hate on a game as popular as World of Warcraft, just check out Gamespot's thorough 4 page review for a reminder of why it's become such a success (and deservingly so).

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary It's Blizzard, it's deep, the classes are easy to learn/hard to master, the world is huge and rich in detail, different venues for pvp, it's rewarding in both short bursts and longer sessions. And it's not nearly the time sink people make it out to be, at least compared to other MMO's and especially if you already have a life and priorities in order. It's not perfect and not for everyone, but it's also not that difficult to see what's so great about it.
Eadara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Eadara
There are jerks in every community. In WoW, you just run into them more often because there's alot more people playing the game and your doing alot more interactions with random people. The percentage of those that are intelligent is still the same as any other game.
godofratz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 godofratz
Member since 2005 • 398 Posts
Can we stop with the WoW crap already? There's at least 10 posts a day about the SAME DAMN THING. 
REX3453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 REX3453
Member since 2005 • 313 Posts
I honestly dont understand what people see in it. It's crazy at my school. Everyone loves it.Bergy121
i'm trying to get my friends into it....and I want to go to your school, show off my e-peen level 70 Orc rogue in 2/5 tier 4 :D
Eadara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Eadara
[QUOTE="-wildflower-"][QUOTE="Eadara"]In my opinion and the opinion of many others it's a great game. However for some it's not, and that smaller percentage is what is most vocal on these boards or any other game forum. You'll never find a good explanation as to why it's a good game on these boards. The reason is not because it's a mediocre game, but because people would rather being playing the game they think is great than pointlessly arguing about why they think it's great. Hell, I don't even know why I'm on here.

You want an explanation from me? I play it because it's fun to me. I can't expect you to understand that. You can't expect anyone to rationalize why they enjoy something. Even though It would be a wasted effort to try to explain why I enjoy the game to you, I will try to do so anyway. I play WoW because I can feel meaningful accomplishment from even 15 minutes of play. I play WoW because I enjoy interacting with the better 90% of it's population, the ones who aren't immature brats. I play WoW because the quests make me feel as if I'm doing something other than just randomly killing everything that moves. I play WoW because I enjoy it when a plan works. Whether it be for a raid or when I'm trying out a new spec, or even figuring out a good use for an ability. I play WoW because I love the artstyle. I play WoW because it's simple yet entertaining. You cannot bash someone because they enjoy WoW. You cannot bash someone because the prefer it over other games. Now that I have told you the reasons why I love WoW, can you tell me what your favorite game is and why you like it?
REX3453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 REX3453
Member since 2005 • 313 Posts

[QUOTE="marshbaboon"]the reason warcraft is so great is the community.. the guilds etc. when you play for so long its like playing with family. the gameplay is actually very tactical aswell once you get to know your class.. i do have more to say on the subject... but u choose not to as im talking to a nice looking girl i know on msn.. so later XDsSubZerOo

The community are you kidding me! WoW has one of the worse communties out there populated with jerks,12 year olds, ninjas and way more... Just read teh nuemrous flame wars on their forums for a small taste of it.. There are far better communties then WoW when it comes to MMO's..

Yep cause everyone on the forums=EVERY SINGLE DAMN PLAYER, oh and yep 12 year olds everyone, yep, way to generalize. Oh and btw if you serious think WoW is flocking with 12 year olds....go play Runescape. Okay anyway, yeah WoW has it's pros and cons, I know some of you people hate it, I loved the game but I quit playing it cause after you find out it's just a damn black hole sucking you in and plus the game NEVER ENDS, EVER, PERIOD.
godofratz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 godofratz
Member since 2005 • 398 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="marshbaboon"]the reason warcraft is so great is the community.. the guilds etc. when you play for so long its like playing with family. the gameplay is actually very tactical aswell once you get to know your class.. i do have more to say on the subject... but u choose not to as im talking to a nice looking girl i know on msn.. so later XDREX3453

Yep cause everyone on the forums=EVERY SINGLE DAMN PLAYER, oh and yep 12 year olds everyone, yep, way to generalize. Oh and btw if you serious think WoW is flocking with 12 year olds....go play Runescape. Okay anyway, yeah WoW has it's pros and cons, I know some of you people hate it, I loved the game but I quit playing it cause after you find out it's just a damn black hole sucking you in and plus the game NEVER ENDS, EVER, PERIOD.

Oh, and all those 12 yr olds play paladins.
Eadara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Eadara
[QUOTE="REX3453"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="marshbaboon"]the reason warcraft is so great is the community.. the guilds etc. when you play for so long its like playing with family. the gameplay is actually very tactical aswell once you get to know your class.. i do have more to say on the subject... but u choose not to as im talking to a nice looking girl i know on msn.. so later XDgodofratz

Oh, and all those 12 yr olds play paladins.

so true... either that or blood elf hunters named legolas
laineter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 laineter
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts
Well, it is great coz there's a lot of quest you can finished, lots of staff to have and most of all lots of friends to meet. :D
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
I don't know what is so great. I got a guy to level 29 before I quit. I realized that it was more work than it was fun. 
d00ms4yer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 d00ms4yer
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts

[QUOTE="marshbaboon"]the reason warcraft is so great is the community.. the guilds etc. when you play for so long its like playing with family. the gameplay is actually very tactical aswell once you get to know your class.. i do have more to say on the subject... but u choose not to as im talking to a nice looking girl i know on msn.. so later XDsSubZerOo

sounds like xbox live to me.......
Wolfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Wolfitz
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts
I don't understand why people ask pointless questions like, "Whats so great about WoW??". One then can ask, whats so great about any game? A game is a game; people play it to have fun, thats it. Some people find that WoW brings them joy, while others don't. I personally never played, but I kinda want to see what its like. I am sure I will find it to be pretty cool, or maybe more. But what I want to say is every game is great, and every game is ****:lol:
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#40 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
and when the rat finds a piece of cheese at the end of the maze.. they are finally happy.  i think WoW is an excellent game.  I played a 10 day trial of the game and liked it very much.  i just wish there was no $15 monthly fee.  or i would buy it.
Orpheus_1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Orpheus_1986
Member since 2007 • 116 Posts

WoW is the second best in its genre...Eve Online being first :)

But thats not really saying much as most MMORPGs are dull grind fests, built to sustain a player for as long as possible so they can leech hundreds of pounds from them. *sigh* MMORPGs a strange and confusing entity.

Sovereign727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sovereign727
Member since 2006 • 673 Posts
Its not great, do not start playing it, wow kills peoplePete5506
If your that lame to die playing WoW, the world would be a better place without you.
firemonkey098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 firemonkey098
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

[QUOTE="Pete5506"]Its not great, do not start playing it, wow kills peopleSovereign727
If your that lame to die playing WoW, the world would be a better place without you.

Word (I concur with him).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814

There are jerks in every community. In WoW, you just run into them more often because there's alot more people playing the game and your doing alot more interactions with random people. The percentage of those that are intelligent is still the same as any other game.Eadara

That is flat wrong..  The fact that its so easy to get into the game and the game is relativly low risk attracts alot of the bad types of people.. After playing several MMos WoW has the worse community regardless if its the largest.. I came across more jerks, idiots, whiney 12 year olds etc etc more so then any MMO per ratio of regular people..   Now this isn't the games fault, but when you rave about the community it just shows one thing that people have never played other MMOs.

I blame this alot due to the Blizzard fan base of Diablo coming over...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

[QUOTE="Eadara"]There are jerks in every community. In WoW, you just run into them more often because there's alot more people playing the game and your doing alot more interactions with random people. The percentage of those that are intelligent is still the same as any other game.sSubZerOo

That is flat wrong..  The fact that its so easy to get into the game and the game is relativly low risk attracts alot of the bad types of people.. After playing several MMos WoW has the worse community regardless if its the largest.. I came across more jerks, idiots, whiney 12 year olds etc etc more so then any MMO per ratio of regular people..   Now this isn't the games fault, but when you rave about the community it just shows one thing that people have never played other MMOs.

The community is bad because the game is easy to get into?  What are you talking about?  If that argument was actually valid, that would make the community better and friendlier because people are more casual and inexperienced than in a "hard" MMORPG (where everyone would be an elitists).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Eadara"]There are jerks in every community. In WoW, you just run into them more often because there's alot more people playing the game and your doing alot more interactions with random people. The percentage of those that are intelligent is still the same as any other game.mrbojangles25

The community is bad because the game is easy to get into?  What are you talking about?  If that argument was actually valid, that would make the community better and friendlier because people are more casual and inexperienced than in a "hard" MMORPG (where everyone would be an elitists).

No I am not dissing the game about being easy.. Just the fact that its erally easy to get into attracts alot of people who are not very good and have a Diablo 2 mentaility..  I think IMO WoW has a bad community.. Not saying its a bad game just saying my observation when I played that it was indeed far worse then any other community.. Top that off people eveyr one has good people you have to include the bad people in the community.. And WoW has tons of those, now from what I observed one of the reasons that it may have a bad community is the over all ease it takes to get in this game..  With 0 risk it attracts alot of people who normally arn't into the game such as the Counter Strike jerks etc etc..   And in the end WoW requires just as much time as any other MMO with only upwards to half variety compared to alot of other MMOs out there from what I have seen.