What's a decent headset for the 360 that's around $100?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Invisible_Kid2 (6330 posts) -
I've read the headphone faq and it said for the best quality I have to get a mix amp and that the astro one is already $130 by itself. I'm looking to buy a complete headset for around the $100 price. I've been reading a lot about the TB x12's and they've been getting good reviews. I had a pair of TB px21 and the side with the mic on it went out. I returned them, and the same thing happened. I ended up getting the official PS3 headset and have been happy with that ever since. Besides the x12's, what's another all in 1 headset for the 360? Should I just save up for a pair of Astro a40's?
#2 Posted by Invisible_Kid2 (6330 posts) -
I think I'm going to go with the Turtle Beach Ear Force X-Rays. Thanks for all the ... help?
#3 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5011 posts) -
You want a real opinion? No expensive headset is EVER worth the price. You're much better off buying a pair of good headphones and a separate mic. Unfortunately you cannot do this for the 360 so I would buy a really cheap headset and save my money.
#4 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
You want a real opinion? No expensive headset is EVER worth the price. You're much better off buying a pair of good headphones and a separate mic. Unfortunately you cannot do this for the 360 so I would buy a really cheap headset and save my money.Toxic-Seahorse
You can do this for the 360, just buy a Astro Mixamp.
#5 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
Do yourself a favor by saving up for an Astro Mixamp + Sennheiser PC360 combo. Buy 'em used if you have to. If you can't afford that kind of setup, don't bother. You get what you pay for in the end, and the PC360 is one of the few headsets that's considered viable to a separate headphone and mic in the $120-160 price range.
#6 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]Do yourself a favor by saving up for an Astro Mixamp + Sennheiser PC360 combo. Buy 'em used if you have to. If you can't afford that kind of setup, don't bother. You get what you pay for in the end, and the PC360 is one of the few headsets that's considered viable to a separate headphone and mic in the $120-160 price range.

Why would you get a Astro Mixamp and then waste that with a Senn PC360? Atleast get a Senn HD558(you can mod it to become HD598(very easy mod)) and then a clip on mic.
#7 Posted by Invisible_Kid2 (6330 posts) -
Looked around. The PC360's were in the $140-$200 range and the cheapest Astro mixamp I saw was $80. At a minimum it was going to cost $220 plus s&h and any applicable taxes. I bought the x rays and I love them. I'm not an audiophiliac/audiophile, so they do me just fine.
#8 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
Why would you get a Astro Mixamp and then waste that with a Senn PC360? Atleast get a Senn HD558(you can mod it to become HD598(very easy mod)) and then a clip on mic.Wolfetan
Normally, I do recommend the headphone + mic route, but some people are awfully insistent on headsets for whatever reason. Worse off, the ModMic-my usual mic recommendation-isn't really rolling off the assembly lines quite yet, though it's getting there. When it comes to decent headsets with a built-in mic, that pretty much leaves the Sennheiser PC360 (expensive) and Beyerdynamic MMX300 (even more expensive). I don't trust omnidirectional clip-on mics as much, though if you're willing to crack open an HD558 to do the foam removal thing, you might also be willing to mod in your own boom mic like people would do with AD700s and other headphones proven for gaming. Also, at some point, the Mixamp itself is going to be the limiting factor for better headphones. Whether you think that's worth paying up the big bucks for a Beyerdynamic Headzone or Smyth Realiser is another matter.