What'll be after Empire TW?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts
When Empire Total War is realeased in Febuary, what do you think will be the next setting for the next series of Total War? Should they go WW 1 or 2, Vietnam, Modern, Futurastic, etc. ?
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

WW1 would be interesting, the combat would be a lot like tw:empire, except with a lot of trench.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pvtdonut54

WW1 would be interesting, the combat would be a lot like tw:empire, except with a lot of trench.

Franko_3

yeah. I can imagine throwing gas bombs and stuff into trenches, would really change the tactical situation.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I don't see the Total War series progressing any further than that. Total War always has had a heavy emphasis on warfare that involved dense formations, and modern warfare is simply the anti-thesis of that.

Perhaps, it may evolve into something more like Europa Universalis in a modern setting, maybe?

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
to be honest i was hopeing that ETW would at least get up to the 1890s and include the US Civil War, and Franco Prussian war. and see the early advances of modern warfare with the advent of the Machine gun and long range artilary.
redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts

I don't see the Total War series progressing any further than that. Total War always has had a heavy emphasis on warfare that involved dense formations, and modern warfare is simply the anti-thesis of that.

Perhaps, it may evolve into something more like Europa Universalis in a modern setting, maybe?

The_Capitalist
well thats a good reson to not go any further than say WW1, while not directly lineing up and shooting in great vollys the change in tactics would not be as great as say moveing to WW2 or later. WW1 should be the maximum that the series goes before Rome 2 total war or even Shogun 2 total war :)
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

Star wars: Total War? ...idk

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
[QUOTE="Franko_3"]

pvtdonut54

yeah. I can imagine throwing gas bombs and stuff into trenches, would really change the tactical situation.

Agree, that'd be nice.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

WW1 would be possible....

any further than that, and I would imagine the entire gameplay would have to be redesigned from the ground up.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
WW1 is pushing it. Any further than that and it'll become more like WiC with at TBS campaign tacked on.
Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts
I hope they don't go any further, I would really like a Shogun 2 or Rome 2.
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Yeah Hopefully they make a Rome Total war 2 that would be epic..
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

i hope they dont advance any more, any remotely modern warfare would be a COMPLETELY different game, and there would our beloved total war be?? not that i ever managed to finish rome:| i wish i had more time to game, then i could have:(

medieval 3 or rome 2 or whatever would be good

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

WW1 would be interesting, the combat would be a lot like tw:empire, except with a lot of trench

Franko_3

That would actually be very awesome.

Avatar image for hedgehogenstein
hedgehogenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hedgehogenstein
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts

I think it's more likely CA will go backwards rather than forwards. My bet would be Shogun 2. A smaller scale game would let them tweak and refine the gameplay a lot and add tons of cool features, which could then be expanded upon in the game after.

Of course, it's always possible their new console IP will be ultra popular and they'll abandon PC gamers entirely!

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts
I think the Napoleonic era is as far as TW can go without having drastically different gameplay. I reckon there will be an expansion for Empire, and then maybe Rome 2 or Shogun 2.
The_One_White

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 The_One_White
Member since 2006 • 1417 Posts
WW1 TW would be awfully dull. Western front was basically artillerry bombarding each others trenches then every few weeks there would be a big attack. Eastern Front with Russia didn't last very long and although the Serbia/Austria-Hungary fight would be interesting, as you don't really hear about it, that didn't last very long either. Only options in my opinion, is futuristic, or going back again.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Generic Fantasy: Total War.

Mark of Chaos and the expansion are great, but I'd like to see such a fantasy warfare game that relies less on RPG elements and more on player skill, like the TW games.

henrynarits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 henrynarits
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts
i think there will be a expansion and then world war one
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I think one possibility would be All of the above: Total War.

In essence they have the frame work in place for expanding the game in terms of in game geography and time line. I could see a game that allowed you to defing the game paremiters yourself.

Ie. Allow you to play roman period but with a full world map (Cesaer invades china?!). Japan / Far east in diffrent periods, Medival setting but with bigger maps?

DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts
Crimean War, American Civil War anyone?
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pvtdonut54

Instead of doing a WW 1 seen they could also do the Vikings. They could do a civil war, but an expansion of E TW could focus on the forming of America. According to Wikipedia (rekliable or not) said E TW would include the 18 century and French Revolution.

"James Russell, the lead designer on the project, stated in an interview that the 18th century was chosen as the setting as "it's a fabulously colourful period... the 18th century is the great age of fighting sail, and it's the obvious arena in which to set our spectacular new sea battles." Russell also stated that the dynamic and far-reaching changes of the era, from political revolutions such as the French Revolution, economic revolutions such as the Industrial Revolution to military revolutions such as the widespread use of gunpowder, gave the "opportunity to develop some really interesting new features and gameplay dynamics that make for a lot of variation"." - wikipedia

It seems that there is alot they can do with Empire but it sems only time can tell what'll be next. I think if the naval and gun battles go well they might creep up into WW 1.

Watercube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Watercube
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts

Personally I'd like a Medieval 3. I'm greedy, though. I'm just happy they're keeping TW alive.

iamthe1ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 iamthe1ne
Member since 2003 • 628 Posts

I think one possibility would be All of the above: Total War.

In essence they have the frame work in place for expanding the game in terms of in game geography and time line. I could see a game that allowed you to defing the game paremiters yourself.

Ie. Allow you to play roman period but with a full world map (Cesaer invades china?!). Japan / Far east in diffrent periods, Medival setting but with bigger maps?

Mazoch

great idea!

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

I said before Empire was announced, and I'll say it again. They should make a game that covers the colonial expansions during the 19th century. Make it global and start the game at the end of the Napoleonic Wars and end it when WWI kicks off.

You get the Brits in India, Afghanistan, South Africa, Egypt, the Sudan, the Crimea, China, and half a hundred other places. You'd get the US Civil War, Mexican-American War, Spanish American War, and the flare-ups with the various indian tribes as the settlers move out west. France would be running around in IndoChina, Algeria, Chad, and China. The Russians could be playing the Great Game in the Hindu Kush, China and Crimea. Germany could re-unify and make grabs for territiories in Europe as well as trying to snap up far flung colonies. Same with Italy and Austria-Hungary.

And just think of all the varied and interesting tribal cultures you could grind underfoot! Take that, stupid zulus!

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I said before Empire was announced, and I'll say it again. They should make a game that covers the colonial expansions during the 19th century. Make it global and start the game at the end of the Napoleonic Wars and end it when WWI kicks off.

You get the Brits in India, Afghanistan, South Africa, Egypt, the Sudan, the Crimea, China, and half a hundred other places. You'd get the US Civil War, Mexican-American War, Spanish American War, and the flare-ups with the various indian tribes as the settlers move out west. France would be running around in IndoChina, Algeria, Chad, and China. The Russians could be playing the Great Game in the Hindu Kush, China and Crimea. Germany could re-unify and make grabs for territiories in Europe as well as trying to snap up far flung colonies. Same with Italy and Austria-Hungary.

And just think of all the varied and interesting tribal cultures you could grind underfoot! Take that, stupid zulus!

bogaty

Agreed, there's so much potential in that whole period. And it's also a period that's been very under utilized in games and entertainment.

plvness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 plvness
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts
I think it might not be a bad idea to keep the gameplay and in a way combine all the periods imagine the romans invading modernday japan and possibly mixing races for this to happen it would have to start in the late stone age
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

WWII can be done and I hope CA goes in that direction....

I mean look at World in Conflict...and multiply the unit cards by 7 and unit sizes by 10....add a campaign map...and BAM youve got your WW2Total War...

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
Dinosaurs please.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
Rome 2 would make me cream my pants
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Rome 2 would make me cream my pantsHot_Potato

I wholeheartedly agree. Rome was the best of the Total Wars I've ever played, besides Medieval, of course.

Medieval II just didn't have the same vibe, for some reason...

kilaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kilaan
Member since 2003 • 845 Posts
I had a dream one time where Sid Meyer and Creative Assembly got together and created Civilization : Total War. That would be awsome.
Digital_Cowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Digital_Cowboy
Member since 2007 • 203 Posts
American Civil War anyone?DucksBrains
that would be amazing
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

[QUOTE="DucksBrains"]American Civil War anyone?Digital_Cowboy
that would be amazing

Too limited in scope.  You're either the north or the south and the whole thing's over in 5-6 years.  Not much room for innovation or unit types.  I think it'd be better covered under the umbrella of my above-mentioned idea suggesting a post-Napoleonic 19th century game of colonial empire building.