What year did you get into PC gaming?

• 149 results
#51 Posted by telefanatic (3008 posts) -

September of 1997 i became a PC gamer. I remember that month because that is the month we as a family moved to United States from Ukraine. I was around 12 or so and my moms bought me a Computer because i was missing my friends a lot and struggling to assimilate in school. But it worked out great.

#52 Edited by warmblur (1101 posts) -

@tryit said:
@warmblur said:

Just curious when did everybody start PC gaming I got hooked back in 2005. I wish I got into it earlier though I feel like PC golden age was the late 90's to 07. Then after Crysis we lost our AAA PC exclusives which sucks but PC gaming is still great.

true story.

and having PC gamed for that whole time I can tell you without question right now is the by far the best era in PC gaming.

Its all happening in the AA indies markets though

I'm glad you're enjoying it I have no interest in indie games but this is all subjective. For me it's a great era in PC gaming but not the best I miss the AAA PC exclusives that we use to get like I said in my original post but I'm really glad VR is here though and I can't wait for the next gen headsets.

#53 Posted by TryIt (12862 posts) -

@warmblur said:
@tryit said:
@warmblur said:

Just curious when did everybody start PC gaming I got hooked back in 2005. I wish I got into it earlier though I feel like PC golden age was the late 90's to 07. Then after Crysis we lost our AAA PC exclusives which sucks but PC gaming is still great.

true story.

and having PC gamed for that whole time I can tell you without question right now is the by far the best era in PC gaming.

Its all happening in the AA indies markets though

I'm glad your enjoying it I have no interest in indie games but this is all subjective. For me it's a great era in PC gaming but not the best I miss the AAA PC exclusives that we use to get like I said in my original post but I'm really glad VR is here though and I can't wait for the next gen headsets.

you should at least try them to find out. you are really missing out.

like my post illustrates I have tried it all and I can say with confidence that PC gaming today is considerably better than those retros your talking about and if you get experience in the games I am refering to you would have a better understanding of why I am saying that, without that experience you do not have context to what I am saying.

you likely will not take my advice and insight but i feel compelled to share it anyway.

take care

#54 Posted by GarGx1 (10549 posts) -

I guess it was when I got a ZX81, after that consoles were only ever a secondary concern. I built my first proper IBM compatible PC in 1990.

#55 Edited by schu (9914 posts) -

Got my first PC in 1995. Packard Bell Pentium 75mhz 8mb ram 800mb hard drive 2mb video card

#56 Posted by RyviusARC (5698 posts) -

I think it was around 1993.

Although That was only at school with educational games like Oregon Trail or at my uncles who could afford one.

Other than that I still games on a Sega Genesis or SNES at that time.

Didn't get my own computer until the late 1990s.

#57 Posted by npiet1 (1305 posts) -

My parents always had a computer but got into consoles around ps1 era got back into pc in 08

#60 Posted by whitey_rolls (2547 posts) -

Early 90's I started gaming on a computer, although I wouldn't call it PC gaming.

I used to play some games on a Commodore 64 and similar old systems. My parents bought our first PC in 1994 and I used to play games like Doom, Duke Nuken 3d, Warcraft II and some sports games like NBA Live 95.

A few years later I played my first MMO, Motor City Online, that thing was a ton of fun but EA killed it.

#61 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19655 posts) -

Early 2000s. Didn't make it my primary machine to play on until 2011.

#62 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13799 posts) -

Probably 1986, I recall playing King's Quest II and people had to spell for me because I was 4 years old.

#63 Posted by elessarGObonzo (2537 posts) -

1986 was the first time we got a decent computer at my school, was some version of the Apple II i believe. Apple IIe was the first home system we had.

F15 Strike Eagle, Ultima I & III, Law of the West, Shadowgate, Jeopardy, and many others. A family member that was in the industry at the time sent me a 2x2' box filled with at least 100 copied floppy disks full of games and software.

#64 Posted by elessarGObonzo (2537 posts) -
@tryit said:

like my post illustrates I have tried it all and I can say with confidence that PC gaming today is considerably better than those retros your talking about and if you get experience in the games I am refering to you would have a better understanding of why I am saying that, without that experience you do not have context to what I am saying.

you likely will not take my advice and insight but i feel compelled to share it anyway.

take care

"AA indie markets" / "them"

missing out on what? you have not mentioned any particular developers, any genre, any time frame, or any defining property that would describe a game or the companies producing them that you are praising as the "better" option. you know better, but you really don't know anything in particular?

#65 Posted by IOAGAMES (3 posts) -

I can't remember exactly, but it's around my senior high school. The first PC game that I addicted to was C&C ( Command and Conquer). The amazing milestone from genius Westwood studio, which eliminated after acquired by a famous game company you know who.

#66 Posted by TryIt (12862 posts) -

@elessarGObonzo said:
@tryit said:

take care

missing out on what? you have not mentioned any particular developers, any genre, any time frame, or any defining property that would describe a game or the companies producing them that you are praising as the "better" option. you know better, but you really don't know anything in particular?

first off there is one word you forgot to use.

Game

you use 'developer' 'genre' 'property' not game. I dont give a F&**(((( who the developer is, just the game. that is it, just the game

would you like a list of GAMES that I am refering to? more than happy to, here is a starting list, by no stretch of the imagation is it a complete list I dont have time for that.

Space Engineers,Medieval Engineers,7 Days to Die,Imperium Galactic Survival,The Forest,Subnautica,Life is Feudal,Stranded Deep,From the Depths,Kerbal Space Program,StarMade,Another Brick in the Mall,Elite Dangerous,Kenshi,RimWorld,Hospitalize,Kingdoms,Wurm Unlimited,My Summer Car

#67 Posted by Mickeyminime (1420 posts) -

I've been playing games on the since quite possibly 94/95. We had the sega mega drive and i used to play the life out of the sonic games. When it came to PC, we had more demo's than anything else until i bought my very first full game dungeon keeper which i still have today. Dungeon Keeper got me more in to computer games and over the years, we ended up getting age of empires, home world, theme park/hospital and so on.

As i used to be bullied in school, games became away for me to remove and forget the pains going on around me. When we got the playstation, i started playing more on that when the PC was being used by others in the house. When i got the PS2/3, i guess i stopped playing PC games a lot unlike i used too. I didn't really buy as many PC games when i had the PS2/3 so i went from console to PC, back to console and most likely went back to PC again back in 09/10 when i got my very own personal computer.

I did go back to the PS3, but over time, i didn't feel the love like i once had with the PS2 and we also reached the age where most games are multiplat. Today i'm more PC, specially considering i spent £2000+ on a massive upgrade at the beginning of the year. Technically, it's a new computer, but i consider it more of an upgrade as everything is now top notch and up to date where i can now play all games on ultra settings unlike before.

I do miss console gaming, but i find it pointless getting a console that has only 5 games on it while the rest are multiplat. Not to mention, there are so many games on the PC unlike the consoles and my computer is like 1million times more powerful, better and superior than the current gen consoles.

#68 Edited by elessarGObonzo (2537 posts) -
@tryit said:
@elessarGObonzo said:

Game

you use 'developer' 'genre' 'property' not game. I dont give a F&**(((( who the developer is, just the game. that is it, just the game

would you like a list of GAMES that I am refering to? more than happy to, here is a starting list, by no stretch of the imagation is it a complete list I dont have time for that.

Space Engineers,Medieval Engineers,7 Days to Die,Imperium Galactic Survival,The Forest,Subnautica,Life is Feudal,Stranded Deep,From the Depths,Kerbal Space Program,StarMade,Another Brick in the Mall,Elite Dangerous,Kenshi,RimWorld,Hospitalize,Kingdoms,Wurm Unlimited,My Summer Car

word i forgot? then you have missed the main context of the post; "you have not mentioned any particular developers, any genre, any time frame, or "any defining property that would describe a game".

and most you have listed were very boring, simplistic games. so you are definitely looking for a different experience than most gamers these days.

#69 Edited by TryIt (12862 posts) -

@elessarGObonzo said:
@tryit said:
@elessarGObonzo said:

Game

word i forgot? then you have missed the main context of the post; "you have not mentioned any particular developers, any genre, any time frame, or "any defining property that would describe a game".

and most you have listed were very boring, simplistic games. so you are definitely looking for a different experience than most gamers these days.

the 'main context' of the post is that you wanted to talk about everything other than games. you wanted to talk about developer, genres but not games.

those games (which I am nearly positive you have not looked into with any level of reasonable depth) are ALL better than the classics and ABSOLUTLY POSITIVELY the OPPOSITE of 'simplistic'. The classsics are 'simplistic' by comparision

#70 Edited by LimitlessHalf (19 posts) -

Ok, I'm guessing by PC you mean the Windows era and not any kind of old Apple or Commodore computer? Cause I was rocking Lemonade and Space Quarks on an old Apple II hahha...... ha... almost 30 years ago. Yay for me.

1996. A friend of mine had a PC with Windows 3.1, and a couple months later my parents got a Compaq PC with Windows 95. I was a freshman in high school, omg. Bought Diablo 1, got hooked on battle.net. In 1997 bought UO and got hooked on MMORPGs for LIFE!

#71 Posted by ahs89 (17 posts) -

Its all started back in 2001 I got my first computer with following specs.

Intel Pentium II 350 MHz

64MB SD Ram

10 GB Connor Technology

Excel 2000 motherboard.

First games that I played were Project IGI and Resident Evil 3

#72 Posted by JohhnyTheBest (6 posts) -

I think around 1995 with a Pentium 1 PC... 133Mhz, 16MB Ram, 400MB HDD..

Omg it sounds so funny now :D My razor in smarter than those PCs in the old days lol.

#73 Posted by Arushi111 (14 posts) -

@warmblur: I started PC gaming in 2007 when my cousin purchased a desktop. I love the old games such as Dave, Wolf, Roadrash, and Mario

#75 Edited by zukalous (7 posts) -

1990 - My dad had this 386 computer for work. I was only 10 years old and on weekends he would bring it home and let me play games on it. Windows 3.1 Tetris, Windows Solitaire.

After I burned out on those games we went to Egghead Software. I remember when we picked out the huge box for King's Quest V and installed it using the almost dozen floppy disks in the box.

Later, his co-worker gave my dad a floppy disk with the words "Wolfenstien 3D" scribbled on it. I remember putting into the PC hoping that the game was as awesome as the name hinted. It was more than I hoped it would be.

They say childhood is but a short sweet season. To me those weekends are what make this statement true.

Have been a PC gamer ever since.

#76 Edited by comp_atkins (35348 posts) -

late 80s on my dad's commodore 64. he had a bunch of games he copied from friends of his at work and was always bringing home new stuff

my dad built a crappy 286 shortly after that but it was underpowered so couldn't play much and was dos based. got a 486 later in 90s and it was great

#77 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

Technically my first PC experience was with ATARI st which my uncle had when i was little kid around late 80s. Personally i got into 1999 big time and since then i consider myself a PC gamer. All the way.

#78 Posted by mismajor99 (5669 posts) -

Old head here. Started back in the 80's with old school DOS games and just never stopped lol, even now in my 40's. My Pops used to take my brother & I to CompUSA here in Philly, and we'd get all excited to check out the PC Gaming section. That hooked me.

To me, this is the most nostalgic period of my life, but loved the mid to late 90's in PC Gaming probably the most. Between all of ID Software's games including Quake Team Fortress to Half Life, I was in heaven.

Played consoles too since the early 80's, and still do, but the PC just always stuck as my number one platform that I enjoyed to most.

#79 Posted by Valkeerie (272 posts) -

It was in 2002, back when the Dreamcast was dead and I didn't get another console, but decided to invest on a PC to play Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos, GTA: Vice City and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. I've never looked back since then.

#80 Posted by Celldrax (15052 posts) -

Jill of the Jungle is one of the first PC games I remember playing.

So, around 1992, I guess.

#81 Posted by FPS_oklahoma (2 posts) -

ive played on playstation systems back in 2010-2012 but since then i havent touched a controller in around 4-6 years pc master race and proud

#82 Posted by Gdourado07 (150 posts) -

PC gaming was 1990.

The PC was a Unysis 386 sx16 with 640kb of ram and a 40mb hard drive.

Games came in floppy disks and for me it was a whole new world!

Been into computers and IT ever since!

#83 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (90 posts) -

For me it was back in 98 when I played Freddy Fish at primary, but I didn't get my first pc till about 2005. Up till then I played on the Playstation one, Playstation 2, Nintendo 64, and Game boy advance.

#84 Posted by Nanashi_Fox (12 posts) -

I first got into it in around 2002, when I've played Rayman 2 and Command and Conquer on the PC. I've always had consoles next to it and kinda stopped caring for the PC, because it felt a bit clumsy to play with (Especially because I've got a thumbroller mouse back then). I came back to PC gaming in around 2009. Mainly MMORPGs brought me back to it for years. Now I'm trying to get some more PC games other then MMOs and get more into PC gaming. I got myself a controller some months ago and it's one of the best decisions I've made!

#85 Posted by fabricolage (4 posts) -

Early 2000's for the mmorpg games.

#86 Edited by Mandzilla (2109 posts) -

Sometime back in the 90's, though it was mostly just messing around on my family's Packard Bell computer. I was quite young, but I remember there being like a 101-games CD with things like balloon pop and such. My dad must have been into gaming a bit himself, as I remember trying Descent also, though not really understanding it.

Also spend a lot of time playing with Spiderman cartoon maker, and the Encarta CD in the pre internet/Wikipedia days. So I guess I wasn't really into PC gaming so much as just clowning around with a computer in general, and different programmes. Did really love minesweeper and 3D pinball: Space Cadet though.

#87 Posted by appariti0n (2681 posts) -

In the 80s, on a commodore sx64

#88 Posted by bussinrounds (3042 posts) -

1983 with games like Kings Quest 1 and Ultima 3: Exodus

#89 Posted by dersimson (9 posts) -

"Flint Adventure" is a game you can be offline and still be earning rewards, the game uses the prehistoric stone-age fantasy style, has rich changeable herooes and strategy allocation, as well as the Arena, the alliance and so on. A series of splendid contents. In the stone World, you will lead your tribal heroes to explore the different stone worlds with millions of players. I had to use their line to introduce the game, Thats whats been told now im on it like for one month ist pretty cool, but just to less ppl inside the Servers to Competition with. If some of your guys join me in the Server 3 is cool my alliance is Winterfell.

#90 Posted by Steelworm (31 posts) -

2007 or maybe a little bit earlier with Call of Duty 4, BioShock and Assassin’s Creed. And Bioshock series still one of my fav.

#91 Posted by wynny2k (32 posts) -

Always knew the true power of the pc for gaming so whilst i used to play console games throughout 2000 - 2008 as soon as i saved enough money i got myself a powerful gaming rig and started around 2009 never went back :D

#92 Edited by Bamda (261 posts) -

The first computer game I ever played was in my sophomore year in high school (1979), called Temple of Apshai. It was the TRS-80 version on a 9-inch black and white monitor loaded from a cassette player. I was in awe.

Here is a good site that gives some insight into the game: https://www.filfre.net/2011/08/temple-of-apshai/.

#93 Posted by JimB (2308 posts) -

I started back in the mid 80's with an Apple 2C.

#96 Posted by Euro_Bucks (6 posts) -

1999 Starcraft

#97 Posted by moab (7 posts) -

2003 counter strike

#98 Edited by epapep (36 posts) -

I built my first own gaming PC back in 2011 when I was 17, before that I still played games like Runescape, COD4, SWAT4, WoW etc but I was mainly playing games on consoles until I built my own PC. It wasn't until I got older I realized how much better games looked and ran on PC, since then I play 90% of games on PC.

#99 Posted by savorcygnus (6 posts) -

I remember one of the first games I played was Starcraft (not sure if Broodwar, or the original), so that's a long time ago. I'd say around 1999 or 2000. Makes me feel old. Those long nights on in the attic playing custom games with my best friend left some great memories though.

#100 Posted by xantufrog (10068 posts) -

Probably around 89? I'm a DOS baby