What would be better for my system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

unrealplaya55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 unrealplaya55
Member since 2007 • 1278 Posts

Hey guys, I'm looking into upgrading my cpu or gpu soon. I have no idea which one I should get though.

I haven't kept up to all the latest benchmarks and I do not know which cards perform best, all I know is the good ones. Please keep the bias out of this and give me a good response.

GPU

CPU

Ok now heres what has me on the edge.I have an ATI motherboard so if I get the gx2 will the built in SLI read it or will only one of the cards read? I also have a e2180(It is oc'd) so I would also be scared to run into a bottleneck.

The reason to get the cpu is because myne right now isn't the best in the world. But would the quad core q9950 offer alot better performance ingame like the gpu would?

P.S To see my full specs click the xfire tag in my sig and scroll to the bottom of that page.

kaitanuvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kaitanuvax
Member since 2007 • 3814 Posts

Hey guys, I'm looking into upgrading my cpu or gpu soon. I have no idea which one I should get though.

I haven't kept up to all the latest benchmarks and I do not know which cards perform best, all I know is the good ones. Please keep the bias out of this and give me a good response.

GPU

CPU

Ok now heres what has me on the edge.I have an ATI motherboard so if I get the gx2 will the built in SLI read it or will only one of the cards read? I also have a e2180(It is oc'd) so I would also be scared to run into a bottleneck.

The reason to get the cpu is because myne right now isn't the best in the world. But would the quad core q9950 offer alot better performance ingame like the gpu would?

P.S To see my full specs click the xfire tag in my sig and scroll to the bottom of that page.

unrealplaya55

Either way, you are going to get bottlenecked however you look at it. But since you already have a 8800GT, upgrading that Pentium to a i7 920 would be a much better investment.

unrealplaya55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 unrealplaya55
Member since 2007 • 1278 Posts
I have $300 not $700. I can't get a new mobo,cpu, and ram. And that cpu won't bottleneck an 88gt so I start to ask honestly what are you thinking?
carstairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 carstairs
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Q9550 is excellent, I think it'd be the better upgrade. Down the line, you could always upgrade the GPU. 8800 is still fairly capable, and your resolution makes the job a bit easier for it.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

Since you're not playing at too high of a resolution, you're current GPU works just fine for you. Upgrade your CPU first, this way it'll give a bit of a boost to your 8800GT since you won't be bottlenecking anymore.

There's nothing wrong with your current GPU. 8800GT = 9800GT.

I'd strongly suggest waiting for the new generation of GPUs to come out before you look to upgrading. Once the new ones come out, the prices on the 9xxx series should start dropping. At that point keep your eyes open for something like the 9800GX2 or a GTX 280. Or maybe a new generation card will be in your price range by the time they hit the shelves.

kaitanuvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kaitanuvax
Member since 2007 • 3814 Posts

I have $300 not $700. I can't get a new mobo,cpu, and ram. And that cpu won't bottleneck an 88gt so I start to ask honestly what are you thinking?unrealplaya55

Yes, I meant your Q9550, not a i7 920, don't know what I was on...You get my point, right? We know for a fact that quad cores will safe for the next five years or so, but the same can't be said about a 9800X2. DX11 is coming soon, and I'm not sure you want to be left behind. Your 8800GT is doing fine today, so I suggest you hold on to it.

When I said you were going to get bottlenecked either way, I meant that if you get a 9800X2, your Pentium will bottleneck it. If you get a Q9550, your 8800GT will bottleneck it. What in the world would a i7 920 bottleneck??:roll:

You also might need a new PSU for that 9800X2, unless you already have a 600W+ one.