What to look for in a gaming keyboard or mouse..?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hitman6actual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hitman6actual
Member since 2009 • 869 Posts

I have been using an extremely old Kensington keyboard and mouse to do my gaming on, for a very long time, and it's starting to show it's age, as some keys tend to get stuck, and there are an increasing amount of them that don't even work. My mouse is still pretty much functioning aside from it's horrid battery life, so I decided I am just going to replace both of them. I've already purchased a cheap Dynex mouse that I have used on several other machines and has never given me any trouble, and even has multiple buttons aside from your standard scroll wheel, and of course right and left mouse buttons, but I'm not sure what to do about the keyboard. It seems you can get a "gaming keyboard" starting for as little as $30 or $40 on newegg, but they go up to well over $100. I know there are different response times for different keyboards and stuff as well as the ability to press 20 some odd keys at once, without trouble in game, on the more expensive ones, but is there any real need for all that? Can anybody recommend something that will last and won't cost me a fortune?

jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts

Keyboards aren't really a big deal. The gaming ones are more expensive and don't really offer much for the price. Just go to best buy and look at the keyboards on display and choose the one that has a good feel to it. If you game with lights out look for one that has backlit keys. A gaming mouse on the other hand is worth it. Look for one that has a decent dpi with on the fly adjustments. And most important feature is that it is comfortable. Razer and Logitech make good mice. You don't need to spend a huge amount for one. You can get a pretty good mouse for $40 or $50. I have the Logitech G9x mouse and it is the best mouse I've had, but it is one of the more expensive ones. I probably wouldn't have gotten it but it was on sale for $60.

Some people swear by the mechanical keyboards being the best available. But they can get expensive.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Since you are deciding to buy gaming mice and keyboards, I suppose the best indicator would be the price tag. The more expensive the better! That's pretty much how you choose those things once you are going down that road.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="GhoX"]Since you are deciding to buy gaming mice and keyboards, I suppose the best indicator would be the price tag. The more expensive the better! That's pretty much how you choose those things once you are going down that road.

You really do get what you pay for. Whatever you do, TC, stay away from WIRELESS mouse and keyboards.