What the hell gamespot is think ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tahir_Ahmad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Tahir_Ahmad
Member since 2008 • 138 Posts

Hey guys,

If you visit gamespot now (April 19th 2012) and click on PC section you will see these games in top 10 list

1. Shogun Total War 2

2. Tribes Ascend

3. Blacklight retribution

4. Legends of Grimrock

5. Gettysburg: Armoured Warfare

6. Naval War: Artic Circle

7. Ridge Racer Unbounded

8. Confrontation

9. Men of War: Condemned Heroes

10. Forge of Empires

Can somebody tell me how these games got finalized as top 10 games ? Apart from Shogun and Blacklight maybe ridge racer I don't see many good games here ? Can't they do their job without being biased ? or are they getting paid to show this junk.

Where are The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3 ?

I don't think this list should be called TOP 10 Games considering the fact that some of these games got Abysmal 3.0 or 2.0 scores by gamespot itself and some of them are not even rated lol.

Can somebody shed light on this ?

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Hey guys,

If you visit gamespot now (April 19th 2012) and click on PC section you will see these games in top 10 list

1. Shogun Total War 2

2. Tribes Ascend

4. Legends of Grimrock

7. Ridge Racer Unbounded

8. Confrontation

10. Forge of Empires

Can somebody tell me how these games got finalized as top 10 games ? Apart from Shogun and Blacklight maybe ridge racer I don't see many good games here ? Can't they do their job without being biased ? or are they getting paid to show this junk.

Where are The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3 ?

I don't think this list should be called TOP 10 Games considering the fact that some of these games got Abysmal 3.0 or 2.0 scores by gamespot itself and some of them are not even rated lol.

Tahir_Ahmad

tribes ascend pwns cod in tha face. nobody plays MW3 for its mp on pc anymore THATS how unpopular it is here. bf3.. its had its time, still okay game though. TW2:EE isnt out yet, skyrim.. fair point

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#3 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Top 10 means, most popular, most discussed games within the forums here. If anything, it is a nice spread of new releases that PC gamers might be keen on. I think that's very healthy than just having the 'big' games on there.

Custodian405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Custodian405
Member since 2003 • 1041 Posts
those rankings are based on each games respective forum activity if I'm correct, so it's simply that those particular games have more people talking about them right now. At one point, the Street Cleaning Simulator 2011 was the number 1 game on there because it became a meme and people spammed it's forums and reviews section.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I'm pretty sure those lists are generated by the number of hits the pages for those games are getting lately. That's why whenever a new game is reviewed, even if it get scored terribly, it shows up on that list, if only for a day or two. The simpsons arcade game got re-relased a while back, gamespot gave it a terrible review, and it was like 2nd-4th on the overal top games list for almost a week.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

I'm pretty sure those lists are generated by the number of hits the pages for those games are getting lately. That's why whenever a new game is reviewed, even if it get scored terribly, it shows up on that list, if only for a day or two. The simpsons arcade game got re-relased a while back, gamespot gave it a terrible review, and it was like 2nd-4th on the overal top games list for almost a week.

the_bi99man
No TC is right, there is a bug with the top rated game list. Should report it in the tech support forum.
Avatar image for i_saw_a_mudcrab
i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 i_saw_a_mudcrab
Member since 2007 • 1015 Posts

I don't see many good games here ?

Where are [...] Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3 ?

Tahir_Ahmad

Nice trolling, a bit too obvious tho

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
I don't even... Legends of Grimrock is one of the best games released for PC in years. I assume that this is a troll post because TC mentions mostly FPSs and Blacklight Retribution at that. Awful, awful game.
Tahir_Ahmad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Tahir_Ahmad
Member since 2008 • 138 Posts

Ok thanks everyone I understand now but if I compare those games (maybe a wrong comparison) to Steam's top seller chart I see no name from gamespot's list. If they are the most discussed games then theoritically they should appear somewhere in Steam's top seller chart. I can see The Witcher 2 EE on top, Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur and even MW3. Grimrock is there so I think it's fine.

But still this list doesn't justify the "Top 10 Games" title IMO. And where is ME3 ? it is still the most discussed game and also a recent release.

Anyway I am trolling seriously. I just don't find this list correct in many ways. They should name the list as "Most Discussed Games" or something like that to make some sense.

@ionusX

The Witcher 2 EE is released now, infact my game launcher started downloading it yestarday night.

EDIT:

@kaealy

I don't understand why are you calling me troll ? I just asked for opinions on the list that I (myself) don't find correct in the "Top 10 Games" section. Can't you see the last line of my first post I asked for opinions. I mentioned TW2EE and Skyrim along with those FPSs and talking about those FPSs I only mentioned the most discussed and popular FPSs (Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3) even if MW3 is not good enough it is still a popular title you can't deny that. And Blacklight Retribution is causing some stir because it is free to play Dx11 title similar to upcoming Crytek's Warface.

I don't see how it fits me in a troll category when I am listening to others and respecting they're posts.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

It's gamespot's top games. As in, most popular games... on gamespot. And its not hard to believe that that wouldn't necessarily be linked to a top-seller chart. Once again, I'll use the simpsons arcade game example. Reviewed terribly, one of the most discussed games on gamespot for a few days, and I'm sure it didn't have chart topping sales. The fact that gamespot reviewed it just reminded a lot of people that it existed (and probably alerted some who didn't know), and so for a little bit there was a lot of people talking about it, commenting on the review, and just visiting the page.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Top 10 means, most popular, most discussed games within the forums here. If anything, it is a nice spread of new releases that PC gamers might be keen on. I think that's very healthy than just having the 'big' games on there.

illmatic87
And.... /thread. :P
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 masterdrat
[QUOTE="illmatic87"]

Elann2008

Still, the "top rated games" is really broken, since it's based on gamespot ratings.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
[QUOTE="Tahir_Ahmad"]

Hey guys,

1. Shogun Total War 2

2. Tribes Ascend

4. Legends of Grimrock

7. Ridge Racer Unbounded

8. Confrontation

10. Forge of Empires

Wait ...... What ...... you think Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3 should be in a top 10 ...... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GTFO Troll
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
Who cares, really now?
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="illmatic87"]

masterdrat

Still, the "top rated games" is really broken, since it's based on gamespot ratings.

How is that broken? What are Gamespot ratings? Some people might say top 10 would be the most popular. Do you have a source from someone at Gamespot that it is broken? If you are going to make an argument, you have to give more info.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
Who cares, really now?Silicel1
up until this post, i thought the same thing.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
The person that made this thread. It's self explanitory.
dav2693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dav2693
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

You are saying Modern warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 should be on top 10?

:/

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I don't get what the OP is having a hard time understanding. I see a bunch of new releases that suck, that's pretty normal. If you click on "Coming Soon" you'll see a bunch of titles worth playing, Diablo 3 being #1. But yeah, for the PC games section, it's pretty normal to see a bunch of crap I wouldn't even waste my bandwidth pirating on the front page of this site.
sloakz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 sloakz
Member since 2007 • 379 Posts

this

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 masterdrat

[QUOTE="masterdrat"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] And.... /thread. :PJames00715

How is that broken? What are Gamespot ratings? Some people might say top 10 would be the most popular. Do you have a source from someone at Gamespot that it is broken? If you are going to make an argument, you have to give more info.

are u a retard all right I'm gonna explain it to you, gamespot review games, they explain the high and low of a game and they give a little number between 1 and 10 to games and that's about how good they think they are. that little number is the rating. it's broken since it doesn't show games which are on different platforms. for example mass effect 3 which scored a 9.0 for example.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="Custodian405"]those rankings are based on each games respective forum activity if I'm correct, so it's simply that those particular games have more people talking about them right now. At one point, the Street Cleaning Simulator 2011 was the number 1 game on there because it became a meme and people spammed it's forums and reviews section.

Your right it's based on activity not how good those games are, of course the topic creator would have know this if they looked into it.