what temperature should an Intel core i7 920 at 2.66 be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

What is the average idle and load temperatures for this processor.(no overclock, normal intel fan)

How high des the temp have to be for your pc to be affected

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Recent CPUs and even CPUs in the Pentium 4 era all have relatively high temp capacities. Average temps for a desktop can vary greatly depending on how you build or how teh comanpy has built your PC. Running a Zalman passive cooling system can be more effective than a stock windows CPU fan and adding a Zalmann active fan cooling unit can drop temperatures over 20C under load over a typical Intel cooler that ships with the CPU. That being said i7s have a relatively similar average temp as the C2duos and if yours is at stock voltages and timings then your going to be funning around 37-40C under normal use depending on ambient room temperature. Dont bee too worried by temperatures under extreme load. These CPUs are built to withstand temps upwards of 70-80+ Celsius without experiencing problems. If you seem to be running that high it would be a wise idea to check the thermal grease and or Fan seatings though. If you are running under normal load at anything higher than 50-55C you might want to get checked out for problems as well.
Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Crypt_mx

what program can monitor cpu temp while in a game.?

jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts
I am running about 36-40c using a Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU cooler. Like ColdfireTrilogy said your CPU temp will vary depending on room temp.
jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jakarai

what program can monitor cpu temp while in a game.?

Crypt_mx
I don't know about in game but you can use Real Temp to monitor CPU temp and then use Prime 95 to stress it to max temps.
Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Crypt_mx

on the stress test my cpu reached 83 degrees celcius!

I stopped it cause i dont want to blow up my pc, this isnt normal is it?

jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jakarai

on the stress test my cpu reached 83 degrees celcius!

I stopped it cause i dont want to blow up my pc, this isnt normal is it?

Crypt_mx

With the normal stock intel fan I think it is. My CPU reaches about 70c under the stress test with the Dark Knight.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
Intel coolers stink, My X2 6000 is a 125w cpu at 3Ghz with stock heatsink maxes 52C
Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

I am running around 35-40ish with a Noctua Cooler (1fan), havent got a chance to stress it yet. RealTemp is my favorite temp monitoring program I believe it was reworked to work better with i7 CPUs.

I've also been able to drop the temps down to 32c (idle)with all my fans set to max speed on my Antec 902, it moves a lot of air and you can hear it.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

If you're having trouble with high temperatures, you should adjust some of the fans. My 8800GTs used to run at 70C and all I had to do was flip my side intake into a side exhaust and the temperature dropped from 75C idle / 91C load to 69C idle /84 load (now I can overclock much more).

Just feel around in your computer to see if there are any pockets of air that aren't moving or are excessively warm. You might need an exhaust fan near there. Intake fans aren't that important.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

Anything over 70C is worrisome to me. (Fore the i7, not GPUs)