What should I look for in a budget $300 gaming PC in December 2018 and early 2019 and beyond?

Punchy71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Punchy71
Member since 2015 • 66 Posts

Hi,

What should I look for and what should be included in a well-balanced and well-rounded budget gaming PC in December 2018 or early 2019 and beyond for the foreseeable future? I'm thinking of maybe a budget of, say, $300 for a budget gaming PC with very good bang for the buck and using the most absolute newest parts to future proof it as much as possible.

Also, I'm not sure if I should build my own, buy one that's already built, or have one built to order.

Thanks for any suggestions

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

$300 can get you a low end motherboard, a decent CPU and half of the RAM you need (or a half-decent CPU and proper RAM). That's assuming you live in the USA or you can buy parts from there without shipping and import fees.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

The Ryzen 3 2200G might be the best option for you.

Loading Video...

A build with this chip might look something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/K2H8w6

Notes:

• It comes in at $350. We could have made it cheaper, but....
  • I have opted for a 500GB SSD instead of spinning drive. Not as high a capacity. but it will make the system much snappier. A must, IMO.
  • I went with an 80+ Bronze PSU, because you should never cheap out on your PSU if you want your computer to have a long life
  • Motherboard could have been cheaper, but I went with a board that has 4 RAM slots because....
  • 8GB of memory, two 4GB dimms. Take advantage of dual channel now, while allowing for an upgrade to 16GB in the future.

Speaking of... Upgrades:

• More storage
  • Double your memory

More Long-Term Upgrades:

• You can always opt for a discrete GPU at some point down the line
  • Since the motherboard has a B450 chipset, it is compatible with most modern Ryzen chips, and will likely be compatible with the next generation of Ryzen chips with a firmware update.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

There's no point in "future-proofing" a 300$ build

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

300 dollars? That's not much for a PC, or any gaming device for that matter. Barely enough to get a console.

Do you already have a PC? You might be able to buy a video card and drop it into your existing PC.

@MonsieurX said:

There's no point in "future-proofing" a 300$ build

The best way to future-proof here is to take that 300 dollars and add more to it at a later date.

Wondering if this is a drunken system wars troll...

toztozario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By toztozario
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Far cry 5

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

For $300 you should just get a console.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@punchy71: This is more of a Hardware related topic so I moved it to PC & A/V Hardware forum

There're the new Ryzen G APUs that come with integrated GPU as @pyro1245 mentioned which is a good option if you want to add a dedicated GPU later on you could.

I did made a different rig build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CMxdWD went with SSHD because I had to use 16Gb of RAM which is important these days and is a future proofing thing to do for the next couple of years, fully modular PSU which also important since picking low end case will cause airflow issues.

A tad more expensive build but you can't really go lower than 400$ if you want a decent PC gaming experience, going below it as you can see is making huge sacrifice which is not owning a dedicated GPU on your system.

I would also look for console deals, I saw them drop to 350$ sometimes Black Friday etc, you won't have Steam, Humble Bundle and GoG deals and free giveaways but then again I saw PS/Xb deals from time to time.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Buy a used Dell optiplex with an i7 for $150, spend the rest on a graphics card.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Since we are on the topic of "300 dollar" builds, I had a question: are onboard video options worth a damn?

Obviously you're not going to be playing Battlefield 5, AC: Odyssey, and so forth, but would it be good enough for a lot of the "retro" indie games and maybe even Fortnite?