ubergusterfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 ubergusterfan
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

I'm looking for a good tactical or strategy RPG for my PC. What's the best. I just picked up Agarest on Steam as it was on sale, but what's a really good one? Someone recommended XCOM to me, but the problem there is that is less of a SRPG, and more of just a turn based strategy game. I still play FF Tactics and the Disgaea games on my VITA, and I just got a new PC and would like to get a really good SRPG. Anybody have any suggestions?

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Try Banner Saga. It looks great and has been met with positive reviews.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Jagged Alliance 2 and the 1.13 mod. (might wanna start with vanilla though)

Silent Storm: Sentinels

Temple of Elemental Evil and the Circle of 8 mod pack

Knights of the Chalice

Alpha Centauri

Heroes of Might & Magic 3

King of Dragon Pass

Expeditions: Conquistador

Eador: Genesis/Masters of the Broken World

Master of Magic & Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

Kings Bounty Series

Spellforce series

ubergusterfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ubergusterfan

@Arthas045 Thanks for that suggestion. I've seen that game and considered it. Have you played it yourself?

@bussinrounds That's quite the list. Which ones on that list are better than others? If you had to pick two or three from that list, which would you pick?

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Blackguards is a quite good turn based hex-grid rpg with challenging combat and plenty of environmental interactions. Just be sure to thoroughly read the rules or be prepared to restart to create new characters; it punishes unoptimized characters severely later on in the game.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bussinrounds

@ubergusterfan said:

@bussinrounds That's quite the list. Which ones on that list are better than others? If you had to pick two or three from that list, which would you pick?

I would say just research the games on the list and see which appeal to you the most.

Alpha Centauri is really a straight up strategy game, btw. (like Civilization but better)

Here, I'll add some more to the list for you..

Gorky 17

Shining Force Sega games are on steam

And can't let this thread go without mentioning..

AD&D Gold Box games & Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Oldies but goodies

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Legend of Grimrock

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bussinrounds

@blutfahne said:

Legend of Grimrock

If you're gonna bring up 1st person dungeon crawlers, at least give him something turn based, since he's asking for a tactical/strategy RPG.

Like...

Wizardry 6-8

You can import your party from one game to the next. (as you can in the Gold Box games)

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#10  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

If you want more recent stuff:

Blackguards is a pretty solid SRPG with a story-driven structure similar to the Vita games you're playing now; however it does use a hex grid and Pen and Paper mechanics that can do you in if the RNG Gods arent in your favor. It's a little punishing and rather flawed with some inconsistent encounter balancing, but it's quite solid if you're into SRPGs.

Age of Wonders 3 is another. It's heavy on combat, exploration and RPG mechanics. Which you may prefer. The combat is really robust and the empire building is complimented well with the use of Spellcasting on top.

From the ones not mentioned here. Give Fallen Enchantress: Legendary heroes a try. The tactical battles arent as strong as Age of Wonders 3, but it's setup using square grids which you may prefer. But the Empire building and RPG mechanics are really great.

If you havent played it yet on your VITA/PSP, play Tactics Ogre. It's better than FFT.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23876 Posts

Blackguards, Expeditions: Conquistador and Silent Storm. Are all SRPGs that focus a lot on the tactical aspect, rather than the large scale strategical.

Heroes of Might and Magic (3 is the best), Fallent Enchantress: Legendary Heroes are good SRPGs that in addition to having tactical turn based battles also have empire building, which is really satisfying.

@illmatic87 said:

If you havent played it yet on your VITA/PSP, play Tactics Ogre. It's better than FFT.

Way, way better, can't even return to FFT because Tactics Ogre was just that much better.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@ubergusterfan said:

@Arthas045 Thanks for that suggestion. I've seen that game and considered it. Have you played it yourself?

I have not myself it is on the mid week sale on steam, so I might just do that today before its gone.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts
Loading Video...

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Dawn of War II and all of its subsequent releases, the most recent being Retribution, have minute RPG elements. A modest "stat" system, modest "loot" drops, skills, talent points, etc. And since you seem to take issue with turn-based in your opening post, it is all in real-time with an emphasis on using cover and flanking; especially on higher difficulties.

It is more Real-Time Tactics than anything, but as I said, it still has modest RPG elements and is a strategy game, so maybe you might enjoy it.

There was also Shadowrun Returns recently, I haven't played it myself, but it is described as an SRPG.

ubergusterfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ubergusterfan

So many great suggestions. Thanks everyone. Now to decide from the many great choices. . . Or pick them all up.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

@bussinrounds: It's an RPG with unique real-time turn-based action. Lots of secrets and puzzles too.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Divinity Original Sin has me EXTREMELY excited for the genre.

kweni16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kweni16
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I'm not sure if you have played these games but I'm sharing anyway 5 Good RPG Games for PC

See if there's anything you like from there.