What RAM do i get ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

So, i need some new RAM. But i'm unsure of what i need. I read somewhere else and they were suggesting this CMP12GX3M3A1600C9, but they were saying something about need to OC something (cant say I'm au fait with that kind of stuff). Any suggestions. As long as the RAM is worth getting because i'll probably upgrade to a new motherboard summer next year, let me know your thoughts :)

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

why in gods name would u upgrade to a 12gb corsair dominator kit? 8gb is the most any gamer should have. your just wasting money beyond that. as for what ram; well any set will do but i like g. skill ripjaw x, corsair dominator (on the higher end), kingston hyper X, AMD brand ram, and crucial ballistix

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Go to overclockers.com!

Lukozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lukozer
Member since 2002 • 6286 Posts

why in gods name would u upgrade to a 12gb corsair dominator kit?

ionusX
Because he has a motherboard that uses triple channel RAM for starters. Secondly there is no mention that his PC is used purely for gaming... there are a hell of a lot of progs that will make use of 12gb+ RAM. Just because gaming isn't one of them for the most part doesn't mean 12gb is a waste. Regarding the OP, the kit you've been recommended runs at 1600mhz (PC3-12800) and that can be run at it's rated speed on an X58 chipset board without overclocking your CPU. Just go into the BIOS, enable XMP and the PC will set the RAM at it's optimal speed, voltage and timings. However, if you're going to be upgrading your motherboard next year, it will certainly not be using triple channel RAM, it'll be using either dual or quad channel (quad if you get an X79 chipset board, dual if you get any other), so it could be a better idea to wait until after you have upgraded your motherboard before adding more RAM. The 6gb you have at the moment isn't depriving your system much so it's not a vital upgrade right now.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
[QUOTE="ionusX"]

why in gods name would u upgrade to a 12gb corsair dominator kit?

Lukozer
Because he has a motherboard that uses triple channel RAM for starters. Secondly there is no mention that his PC is used purely for gaming... there are a hell of a lot of progs that will make use of 12gb+ RAM. Just because gaming isn't one of them for the most part doesn't mean 12gb is a waste. Regarding the OP, the kit you've been recommended runs at 1600mhz (PC3-12800) and that can be run at it's rated speed on an X58 chipset board without overclocking your CPU. Just go into the BIOS, enable XMP and the PC will set the RAM at it's optimal speed, voltage and timings. However, if you're going to be upgrading your motherboard next year, it will certainly not be using triple channel RAM, it'll be using either dual or quad channel (quad if you get an X79 chipset board, dual if you get any other), so it could be a better idea to wait until after you have upgraded your motherboard before adding more RAM. The 6gb you have at the moment isn't depriving your system much so it's not a vital upgrade right now.

Ye, true. I'll go with that :) Thanks for the advise :D But next year will be expensive :(
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Yeah, if you're going to be upgrading next year anyway, hold off on getting more RAM. 6GB of system RAM is more than enough for games at the moment...
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

If you're going to wait at least a year, might as well wait for DDR4.