What is your opinion on gametap?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts
I was thinking of trying it for a month and wanted to know if anyone had any good ,bad ,or horrible experiances with it?
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

If you don't know, you don't have to have a paid account. You can create a free account, download the Gametap client, and play the free games on it, of which there are over 100. So try that out if you haven't already.

I think it's a great service for people who are into its concept. It's fantastic as a free service. I'm more into owning games I have to pay for, though, so I'd rather buy a game and have the option of playing it anytime I want for free thereafter. Still, I may someday subscribe for a while to play games on there I don't think I'll care about playing more than once or twice, that I won't care about owning. For people who are all about just the playing of a game and not owning it for possible replays in the future free of charge, it's great.

Try out the free service first and see how it works for you. Then decide on whether to subscribe. Just so you know, GT doesn't work on a 64-bit OS, and my understanding is that anyone not in NA can't play the mature-rated games.

Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts

I love it.

It has MANY great games on it.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Borderline completely useless last time I tried it in Australia, I don't think I could get one game working for free.
Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts
I've always seen subscription services like Gametap as a thinly veiled scam. If I pay money to play a game, I sure as hell better be able to play that game whenever I want from that point on. I'm not going to pay a monthly fee to play a game, then lose the ability to play that game once I stop paying.
iratheous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 iratheous
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts

ve been using it for the last 30 days on a free account, specifically to play Fallout 1 as a primer for Fallout 3. The game has worked almost perfectly (I'd prefer the ability to play it in a window, but you can't do that, only fullscreen since you start the game through a client rather than an exe).

I'm about ready to play Fallout 2, which is also availible (for the gold acct, not free), so I'm deciding whether to just get a retial copy or subscribe and play other games like Betrayal at Kronder etc.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

It's okay. Some problems.

1) If you're using the paid subscription, you better have one HELL of a hard drive. You'll want to dedicate atleast 75+ GB to the service.

2) You can't play games online (atleast the ones that require CD keys). 

3) You can't use mods or custom maps in any games.

4) If you have a widescreen monitor, you're ****ed. Most games on there don't happen to support widescreen. The .ini files and configurations are locked so you can't do any tweaks to make it widescreen.

5) Netplay on emulated games is practically unplayable due to the lag. 

6) Most games are games you won't play more than once. Some you'll love, but you'll be disappointed because you can't keep them and mod/tweak them. 

fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts

2) You can't play games online (atleast the ones that require CD keys). GodLovesDead

Yes you can they give you keys. I just did the 99 cent 1 month promotion and then canceled. I played Kane and Lynch and Supreme Commander online.

Gametap is ok. I have a couple of hitches here and there but overall you can't complain about the free service. Psychonauts and Thief III for free is hard to beat.

Bullet_Holes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bullet_Holes
Member since 2006 • 1330 Posts
Do windows games on gametap work with 64bit yet?
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]2) You can't play games online (atleast the ones that require CD keys). fivex84

Yes you can they give you keys. I just did the 99 cent 1 month promotion and then canceled. I played Kane and Lynch and Supreme Commander online.

Gametap is ok. I have a couple of hitches here and there but overall you can't complain about the free service. Psychonauts and Thief III for free is hard to beat.

Must be a recent addition. And one that couldn't have come soon enough at that.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
gametap is great for playing games that have no replay value. games with replay value you're beter off just buying it, but for playing adventure games gametap rocks.