What is the point of windows firewall?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chocobo7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chocobo7000
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

When I start a game that has not yet been allowed by Windows Firewall, the game will start anyway and run, then it is not until after playing the game and closing it that I see the "windows firewall" window that is asking me if I want to allow access to that game or keep blocking it. If windows firewall really worked, wouldn't it actually block the game from running?

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

yep tis garbadge.. was aware of that a LONG time agao.. i recommend an independant firewall. or one that comes in a suite such as f-secure or norton person firewall.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

If you have a router then technically you dont need a software firewall because it will do a MUCH better job than anything else.

Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
What is a good free firewall?
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Comodo, but i think the 7 firewall along with my router is fine.
Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
Which one is better zone alarm or comodo(free one)?
Chickenesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Chickenesta
Member since 2005 • 993 Posts
As a systems administrator and holder of a valid CCNA qualification I can say with some authority the Windows firewall is great when used along side a router which also has its own firewall, you really shouldn't need another third party firewall app which are often overly intrusive and cause more problems than they're worth, at the end of the day a firewalls a firewall and I've never seen Windows own firewall fail either at home or where I've worked. NB Even if you have a firewall on your router using a software firewall is still a good idea on multi machine networks to stop the spread of viruses, your router generally won't stop cross domain virus/worm traffic, Windows firewall will ;)
Pandaren_1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pandaren_1985
Member since 2003 • 832 Posts
Which one is better zone alarm or comodo(free one)?Zillaschool
Comodo
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

When I start a game that has not yet been allowed by Windows Firewall, the game will start anyway and run, then it is not until after playing the game and closing it that I see the "windows firewall" window that is asking me if I want to allow access to that game or keep blocking it. If windows firewall really worked, wouldn't it actually block the game from running?

chocobo7000

a firewall won't stop anything on your pc from running, what it will do is prevent it from making and receiving outside/online connections.. so, unless that's an on-line multiplayer game you had fired up, it most likely did what it was made to do..

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
a basic firewall is all u need like windows firewall...i tried other 3rd party firewalls and they just use more resources and slows down my internet, plus i already have a hardware firewall (router) which is better too so a basic firewall is good enough
chocobo7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chocobo7000

[QUOTE="chocobo7000"]

BLKR4330

a firewall won't stop anything on your pc from running, what it will do is prevent it from making and receiving outside/online connections.. so, unless that's an on-line multiplayer game you had fired up, it most likely did what it was made to do..

I can run any game online and it didn't block anything
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

You peoples here have no ideas wat u r talking about, except that CCNA brah, I gots one too.

Windows firewall asks on the program, if you want to allow incoming connections! Not outbound ones. So if you host a server, but have windows firewall block it, then you can't host. Windows firewall comes with Windows because not everyone has a router, so it blocks ports.

Windows firewall is the best free firewall, comodo free cannot let you open passive ports, Windows one does.
It's also very easy to use to specifiy what ports or programs you want to have access.

I will be honest and say I like it more than iptables, because uh... that gets messy real quick.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="chocobo7000"]

BLKR4330

Incorrect brah.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JigglyWiggly_

As a systems administrator and holder of a valid CCNA qualification I can say with some authority the Windows firewall is great when used along side a router which also has its own firewall, you really shouldn't need another third party firewall app which are often overly intrusive and cause more problems than they're worth, at the end of the day a firewalls a firewall and I've never seen Windows own firewall fail either at home or where I've worked. NB Even if you have a firewall on your router using a software firewall is still a good idea on multi machine networks to stop the spread of viruses, your router generally won't stop cross domain virus/worm traffic, Windows firewall will ;)Chickenesta
I don't think Windows firewall stops any viruses or anything. All it does is block ports and services from being accessed. And it doesn't inspect packets either, you are going to need Snort to do that. i got snort running on my home router(pfsense, freebsd based), and it is so awesome. It lets me stop myself from causing attacks onmyself, that is awesome.

chocobo7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chocobo7000

[QUOTE="Chickenesta"]As a systems administrator and holder of a valid CCNA qualification I can say with some authority the Windows firewall is great when used along side a router which also has its own firewall, you really shouldn't need another third party firewall app which are often overly intrusive and cause more problems than they're worth, at the end of the day a firewalls a firewall and I've never seen Windows own firewall fail either at home or where I've worked. NB Even if you have a firewall on your router using a software firewall is still a good idea on multi machine networks to stop the spread of viruses, your router generally won't stop cross domain virus/worm traffic, Windows firewall will ;)JigglyWiggly_

I don't think Windows firewall stops any viruses or anything. All it does is block ports and services from being accessed. And it doesn't inspect packets either, you are going to need Snort to do that. i got snort running on my home router(pfsense, freebsd based), and it is so awesome. It lets me stop myself from causing attacks onmyself, that is awesome.

so if it actually works, why does it still let me play onlines games and download maps from servers etc?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JigglyWiggly_
I said inbound connections, not outbound ones.
KLONE360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KLONE360
Member since 2007 • 1119 Posts
I said inbound connections, not outbound ones.JigglyWiggly_
So winxp home firewall is good? What about 7 and vista? Or are you speaking of the server versions firewalls?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JigglyWiggly_
I haven't used XP in a while, but the gui for it sucks. You can configure it a lot more in cmd. By default it's alright. Vista's and 7's are much better.
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

[QUOTE="BLKR4330"]

JigglyWiggly_

Incorrect brah.

if you're referring to your earlier post about outgoing connections (?), my post was merely meant to give a simple explanation of what a firewall does as the tc was apparently expecting that his game would stop working altogether without his consent to do otherwise. replies up till then only either criticised or approved of windows firewall.

...also technically not incorrect i believe as i was talking about a firewall, don't know the details on windows firewall specifically :P point taken though :)

So when you say inbound connections, this doesn't equal all incoming data? but only unknown or unsolicited data?

Chickenesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chickenesta

[QUOTE="Chickenesta"]As a systems administrator and holder of a valid CCNA qualification I can say with some authority the Windows firewall is great when used along side a router which also has its own firewall, you really shouldn't need another third party firewall app which are often overly intrusive and cause more problems than they're worth, at the end of the day a firewalls a firewall and I've never seen Windows own firewall fail either at home or where I've worked. NB Even if you have a firewall on your router using a software firewall is still a good idea on multi machine networks to stop the spread of viruses, your router generally won't stop cross domain virus/worm traffic, Windows firewall will ;)JigglyWiggly_

It most certainly does, I've seen it stop worm viruses replicating on a 200 computer network at the place I used to work as a junior admin, the only machines that werent effected were XP SP2 machines because of the firewall, my comment wasn't literal it doesnt stop viruses in the way a virus scanner will you're right, but it stops the spread of many of them across the network, if you've ever seen an infected machine try and push its infection to other PCs you'll know how and why.

You said it yourself, the key words are inbound connections, a worm virus will be an unsocilited inbound connection which any untampered windows firewall will block without blinking.

sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 sentenced83
Member since 2005 • 1529 Posts

If you have a router then technically you dont need a software firewall because it will do a MUCH better job than anything else.

Daytona_178

a quick Question ! if i have a linksys router and am on a home network , i dont need a firewall on my pc ? only an antivirus ?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="BLKR4330"] Incorrect brah.BLKR4330

if you're referring to your earlier post about outgoing connections (?), my post was merely meant to give a simple explanation of what a firewall does as the tc was apparently expecting that his game would stop working altogether without his consent to do otherwise. replies up till then only either criticised or approved of windows firewall.

...also technically not incorrect i believe as i was talking about a firewall, don't know the details on windows firewall specifically :P point taken though :)

So when you say inbound connections, this doesn't equal all incoming data? but only unknown or unsolicited data?

Incoming refers to connections connecting to a port on your own computer, you only do this when hosting. Outbound are connections to others. TCP is both ways.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

sentenced83

a quick Question ! if i have a linksys router and am on a home network , i dont need a firewall on my pc ? only an antivirus ?

Technically no, but UPNP can be a threat, and you still need your firewall on your computer. I hate UPNP.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="Chickenesta"]As a systems administrator and holder of a valid CCNA qualification I can say with some authority the Windows firewall is great when used along side a router which also has its own firewall, you really shouldn't need another third party firewall app which are often overly intrusive and cause more problems than they're worth, at the end of the day a firewalls a firewall and I've never seen Windows own firewall fail either at home or where I've worked. NB Even if you have a firewall on your router using a software firewall is still a good idea on multi machine networks to stop the spread of viruses, your router generally won't stop cross domain virus/worm traffic, Windows firewall will ;)Chickenesta

It most certainly does, I've seen it stop worm viruses replicating on a 200 computer network at the place I used to work as a junior admin, the only machines that werent effected were XP SP2 machines because of the firewall, my comment wasn't literal it doesnt stop viruses in the way a virus scanner will you're right, but it stops the spread of many of them across the network, if you've ever seen an infected machine try and push its infection to other PCs you'll know how and why.

You said it yourself, the key words are inbound connections, a worm virus will be an unsocilited inbound connection which any untampered windows firewall will block without blinking.

XP sp2? Are you sure it's not because the OS was updated from the exploit? Could have just been unaffected by the virus.
Chickenesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chickenesta
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Chickenesta"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] I don't think Windows firewall stops any viruses or anything. All it does is block ports and services from being accessed. And it doesn't inspect packets either, you are going to need Snort to do that. i got snort running on my home router(pfsense, freebsd based), and it is so awesome. It lets me stop myself from causing attacks onmyself, that is awesome.

XP sp2? Are you sure it's not because the OS was updated from the exploit? Could have just been unaffected by the virus.

LOL I'm sure, you're in danger of argueing against your own logic here, without wanting to sound patronising go read up on what worm viruses are and how they spread, it doesnt take a networking genius to know that Windows Firewall will stop such malicious software, it'd be a bloody pointless firewall if it didn't LOL!
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JigglyWiggly_
I am saying it blocks services and ports, that a worm could use to take advantage of, if you are saying it stops viruses itself I don't think that is right.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Windows firewall is great, works like a charm, and it does prevent a few things, and it's probably the easiest to configure, you don't need to do anything, unless you need to :)

If you are just curious, metasploit is a free education tool, which you can try, and see what the firewall does and how good it is. woot, go the CCNA certificate, I got one too :)

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts

The only thing Windows Firewall is good for is it can detect anything that is wrong with your computer. However, if you want it to be taken care of properly, you need to use another antivirus software.

Chickenesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chickenesta

I am saying it blocks services and ports, that a worm could use to take advantage of, if you are saying it stops viruses itself I don't think that is right.JigglyWiggly_

I've already explained in a previous post that it doesnt stop viruses in the same way an antivirus does, you're suggesting that somehow Windows firewall wouldnt protect against worm virsues spreading across a network???? wtf lol, the primary reason for running a firewall if you're already behind a hardware firewall is to stop internal threats, routers dont protect againstclient to client attacks,Im done here :) best go book yourself in for some MCP exams to go along with you CCNA lol

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
You have to configure it correctly to block everything except IPv4 and DHCP. Then you need to close all of the ports that you're not using and install a secondary firewall to block the portions of windows that still bypass the built-in firewall. Even then, your pc is not secure without a hardware firewall...
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I am saying it blocks services and ports, that a worm could use to take advantage of, if you are saying it stops viruses itself I don't think that is right.Chickenesta

I've already explained in a previous post that it doesnt stop viruses in the same way an antivirus does, you're suggesting that somehow Windows firewall wouldnt protect against worm virsues spreading across a network???? wtf lol, the primary reason for running a firewall if you're already behind a hardware firewall is to stop internal threats, routers dont protect againstclient to client attacks,Im done here :) best go book yourself in for some MCP exams to go along with you CCNA lol

FFS you are being really really dumb. I just said, "it blocks ports and services" which is correct. A worm could take advantage of those, hence blocking them. I am not saying it scans for viruses.

Also one more thing Windows firewall doesn't scan packets which you have seemed to completely have missed. Only SNORT can do that. I am speaking of packet sniffing, and intrusion, not a blasted worm. Virus infections in a company are rare, unless dumb IT staff(who use Windows on their servers)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

chocobo7000
OP, you even know what a firewall is?