What is the Best MMORPG of all Time ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lazy_Marine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Lazy_Marine
Member since 2003 • 955 Posts

Over the years I've extensively played Final Fantasy online, EVE online, World of warcraft, Everquest, Earth & Beyond, LOTR online and Dark Age of Camelot.

My pick (and i know alot of people agree) would be Dark Age of Camelot! , the best MMORPG ever made IMO. Although i quit 3 years back, till today i recall the good times playing that game, From the world design, creatures, music, Raids, unmatched RVR (at the time), unique 3 faction / world concept and one of the best player community i've ever met, to me makes it the top MMORPG.

What about you, what would you nomiate as the best MMORPG that really captivated you?

DrummerShane12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DrummerShane12
Member since 2004 • 2531 Posts

do you really expect anything other then a majority of people saying WoW lol

djmillard2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 djmillard2
Member since 2005 • 1372 Posts
9 dragons. GotY by far
Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

The FalloutMMO coming out looks promising.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Planetside! My god that game was awesome. I was an original beta tester, back when they had to mail you the disks to install and was hooked ever since. I'm very excited that they have started what looks like pre-production on Planetside 2.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

World of Warcraft
EVE Online
Lord of the Rings Online
Auto Assault (RIP)

Those are my top picks, but World of Warcraft is the king

Deus_Ex_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Deus_Ex_Fan
Member since 2006 • 625 Posts

IMO, none so far, especially since the RPG side of it has went out the window, and became more of a FPS wrapped around a RPG as a time sink. A "Roleplaying" tag or server also doesn't make up for ruining the immersion, when you see players in pink suits, bunny hats, and guild names like the "Bunny Mafia". Cute and fine for them, but totally out of element for a classic westernMMORPG for me.

Still waiting for the MMO that isn't about 24 player raids; isn't about 24+ screens (and like 200 chats with voice to make sure to break up the immersion more); gear replacing skills and abilities being more important. In other words have the richness of SP RPGs, with *some* social interaction that doesn't destory the immersion.

Lazy_Marine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Lazy_Marine
Member since 2003 • 955 Posts

Planetside! My god that game was awesome. I was an original beta tester, back when they had to mail you the disks to install and was hooked ever since. I'm very excited that they have started what looks like pre-production on Planetside 2.

Emraldo

Agreed, Planetside was one of a kind, and the experience it offered is unforgetable, its sad what happend to it, player base went downhill too quickly if you recall.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

DrummerShane12

I don't know....the way my Poll is going WoW seems to be on the decline here. But more likely its because its going head-to-head with HL2 and some other good games.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts
I always liked Final fantasy 11.
Ulezim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ulezim
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
AirRivals, I totally unique experience, where co-operation between the rest of the players of your faction is a necessaty to success. Nice lvling system up to lvl 99 I believe(never gotten taht far) though lvling is extremmmmmmmely mind numbing process, seeing as it can take anywehre from 1 hour to weeks and even months to go up lvls, requiring alot of patience due to it's repetitive nature. The community is great, and the regular events, such as Last Nation Standing, Advanced Base Wars, Mothership Wars, and Strategic Points bring players from wherever they are to battle eachother along side other players of their nation to become the most dominant, in a total full-throttle, high-speed aerial shooter, it is totally awesome merely to observer battles yet alone take part in them.
ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 ag3ntz3rox0x
Member since 2007 • 1534 Posts

WoW, numbers dont lie

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts

1.Wow

2.DAOC

3. maybe anarchy online ?

500. Aion

9 * infinity . runescape

DrummerShane12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DrummerShane12
Member since 2004 • 2531 Posts

[QUOTE="DrummerShane12"]

AFBrat77

I don't know....the way my Poll is going WoW seems to be on the decline here. But more likely its because its going head-to-head with HL2 and some other good games.

im glad lol im no WoW fan but I just thought there was a lot of them here
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

WoW has been the only "serious" one I've ever played, but I've also played Drift City and Runescape. WoW is by far my favorite out of the 3 I played.

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
I've heard nothing but amazing things about UO, but unfortunately I never got the opportunity to play it in its golden days. My pick goes to Dark Age of Camelot by a longshot though.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
Before it was ruined by expansions, Ultima Online was the greatest MMO ever. It truly was a virtual world, ran by the players. Each "shard" (realm/server/world/etc) was unique, as the players impacted the world. Oh, what I would give to have an MMO that good again... As far as now days goes, WoW wins for taking the EQ model, polishing it up and making it as accessible to every player type as possible. Unfortunately there's no housing, no player run vendors, etc. It may be highly polished, but it's still the tank/spank/heal EQ model, which I think needs to die in a fire. That being said, I do enjoy WoW... but I miss my UO...
Ocid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ocid1
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts

Currently: Eve Online

Days gone by: UO or Pre-CU SWG

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Id say WoW. The success of an mmo is decided by subscription numbers and this way WoW wins. Some may argue that its avarage but its avarage nature is the thing that provides so much for so many people. It is accesible, huge, forgiving on ones pc and so much more. My view is ofcourse biased becouse I am in no way an mmo veteran but I think WoW does everything well enough. Its does not excell in any field but it doesnt fail in anything either.There are games that do PvP better like Camelot or maybe Warhammer, there are games with better graphics like AoC, there are games with better PvE LOTR but no other games does everything and does it in a way that is just enough to attract people.

Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts

"Best" is pretty subjective. I had the most fun and fond memories in Everquest 1, but from a popularity and financial success standpoint it has to be World of Warcraft.

longello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 longello
Member since 2009 • 155 Posts

Guild Wars

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

WWII Online.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Asheron's Call 1

the_dude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_dude77
Member since 2009 • 244 Posts
until now nothing can beat World of Warcraft. Cabal was a nice F2P mmorpg that u can download. It's a combination of Mu (which I loved when it appeared) and WoW. You have some cool AoE skills but that's just about it. A lot of MMOs are coming out now : Aion (already out), the old republic, secret world, fallout....
m185273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 m185273
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts

Ultima Online, DAoC and Planetside - all of which would be considered crappy by todays standards but the current generation do not hold my interest to the same extent. I am really looking forard to Planetside 2 though :)

dmcguk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dmcguk
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts

Is more of a personal opinion . Saying the best by numbers is like saying Wii is the best gaming console of all time but my picks are

UO

Everquest

EVE

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

WoW takes the cake for most successful...

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Serentor
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Wow died for me with wrath of the lich king, so im saying Aion is my favorite right now, the pvp is amazing in that game. The best free ones i played are runescape which i played many years and maplestory i guess. Try not to get addicted though, i was lol...

XSpawner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XSpawner
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Diablo II for sure.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

Diablo II for sure.

XSpawner
? Planetside when I played it back in 2005.
-DaNuTz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -DaNuTz-
Member since 2006 • 1430 Posts

without a doubt World of Warcraft is the best mmorpg so far ...

Avatar image for The_Good_Critic
The_Good_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The_Good_Critic
Member since 2009 • 161 Posts

Subscribing makes me cry, I don't like to be parted from the limited funds I already posses but more often or not I tend to get disappointed when I see a MMORGP I may consider buying to find out that the developers close the servers (Tabula Rasa) I was fortunate that I didn't buy it in the end before the closure. But if I was to now at least go and consider one I know would NEVER close I would consider Final Fantasy XI. When I first saw this in Gamestation and GAME I was overjoyed at the awesomeness that was gleaming in my eyes only to see under the title 'MMORPG'...to which I knew I had to put the box down and slowly back away. I have this uncanny ability to pick something up and just tell if something I see would be deemed worthy of playing. Okay so in the past I have picked up the odd game and its turned out to be the utter shambles of existence, but more often or not I make a good call.

I haven't actually mentioned much on the actually game itself but I don't wish to start writing essay long explanations here to bore everyone. Though I may blog it so stay tuned.

FFXI

Varny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Varny
Member since 2009 • 263 Posts

SWG Pre CU

or

Planetside

FriiedTofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FriiedTofu
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Planetside for sure, a mature player-base, epic battles, exotic worlds. that game had it all, its a shame that the population went down so quickly. If there is a planetside 2, im going to be playing it for sure.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Everquest grand daddy of all mmorpgs..The one the only..It still has expansions to this day..Its about 10 years old now an still counting..Sure its fan base is not what it once was..It was fun unique..Wow wouldnt be here if not for everquest..Just remember that..