What is the best MMORPG ever made?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jakybuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 jakybuddy
Member since 2004 • 102 Posts

I dont doubt that I missed many, these were just some that were big in their time.

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts

Missed Asheron's call and UO, but DaoC was my favorite. I wish they'd release that origins server and it'd get popular..

djmillard2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 djmillard2
Member since 2005 • 1372 Posts
party hard mtbare
jakybuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jakybuddy

DaOC? As hard as I tried I could never get into that game - I was playing Asherons Call instead.

drg0nzo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 drg0nzo1
Member since 2005 • 157 Posts

Everquest from release until Luclin was awesome, no MMO has been able to match that experience imo. Daoc was pretty damn fun too, but it got tiresome much quicker. WoW is definitely the most popular, theres no question about that, but it owes it's success games like UO and EQ.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
Ultima Online (before any expansions)
nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

WoW

redsoull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 redsoull
Member since 2008 • 252 Posts

SWG i enjoyed most but then before the upgrades.

WoW is the most complete MMORPG.

While SWG in the beginning had flaws and bugs and was far from perfect the craft system was perfect and very very wide being able to make items in differend quality's instead of just mixing 3 - 4 items and get the same item as all others.

SWG had the opurtunity to make something of great quality others coudent match or make.

Doing 20 man hunting groups full with low level noobs just like yourself was epic fun, setting up camps and exploring new planets.

The 250 combat points freely to spend resulting in unique combat builds the flaws of it where some builds where over powerd and ever body was running around with the same builds. the jedi system was good as it started being able to unlock something only a few ppl had on the whole server was something you played for.

all they should have done was balance and bring end content and it would have been the best MMORPG ever.

WoW on the other hand is way more balanced and has a ton more content at high level.

I enjoyd having a guild and killing boss after boss, Finnaly killing a boss like vashj Kael or illidan after a week of wiping was epic aswell.

If only these 2 games could mix together you would get the perfect MMORPG and i would sub for it and start grinding again :)

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

While I enjoyed many MMO's, a lot of these older ones are painted in rosey colored nostalgic glasses. Quite simply put, they sucked. But they were the best you could get for their time. Only one on that list I haven't played is EQ1. I was too busy playing Asheron's Call at the time.

Out of all of the MMO's I've played, I would have to say WoW is the best. It has it's flaws, but it's far and away the superior game at least when compared to these old MMO's.

SWG had a fun skill based system, PvP was entertaining, and crafting and player made cities were cool. But it had it's share of problems and of course we know it was utterly destroyed by the CU and NGE. Dark Age of Camelot it was a great game, but it was rather slow paced and you had to do a LOT of grinding to level up. EQ was even worse for grinding (from what I hear). Asheron's Call... again tons of grinding, and the GUI was terrible. WoW has grinds and time sinks, but nothing compared to these old MMO's.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

World Of Warcraft

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Out of that list WoW. Outside of the list Rakion.

teldath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 teldath
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

FFXI or Lineage 2, best MMos ever

jakybuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jakybuddy

SWG i enjoyed most but then before the upgrades.

WoW is the most complete MMORPG.

While SWG in the beginning had flaws and bugs and was far from perfect the craft system was perfect and very very wide being able to make items in differend quality's instead of just mixing 3 - 4 items and get the same item as all others.

SWG had the opurtunity to make something of great quality others coudent match or make.

Doing 20 man hunting groups full with low level noobs just like yourself was epic fun, setting up camps and exploring new planets.

The 250 combat points freely to spend resulting in unique combat builds the flaws of it where some builds where over powerd and ever body was running around with the same builds. the jedi system was good as it started being able to unlock something only a few ppl had on the whole server was something you played for.

all they should have done was balance and bring end content and it would have been the best MMORPG ever.

WoW on the other hand is way more balanced and has a ton more content at high level.

I enjoyd having a guild and killing boss after boss, Finnaly killing a boss like vashj Kael or illidan after a week of wiping was epic aswell.

If only these 2 games could mix together you would get the perfect MMORPG and i would sub for it and start grinding again :)

redsoull

Agreed - SWG did have potential, they just didnt apply it correctly.

Also, what I mean by the greatest MMO, I mean what you enjoyed the most when you played it - as in WoW may have been more complete than all of those other MMO's, but did you enjoy the good times in WoW as much as you enjoyed the good times in EQ, or AC?