What is the best game in the Total War series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
I'm thinking about picking one up but I'm not sure which one I should get. I've been hearing a lot of stuff about Rome: Total War but it is not the newest one (but of course newest is not automatically best). What are your opinions?
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Medieval II is probably my pick, but the A.I. on defense on both Rome and Medieval are at times God damn stupid. You can be sitting in a fort and the enemy just will not come to you and engage battle.....so you end up losing.
stupiddk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 stupiddk
Member since 2003 • 2377 Posts
Medieval 2 made me puke, Rome Total War with a good total conversion mod owns any other total war series. Europa Barboum,SPQR, and Roma Surrectum, and lets not forget the awesome and amazing Rome Total Realism. I suggest if your interested that you go here, www.twcenter.net
EWDeadeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EWDeadeye
Member since 2004 • 113 Posts

You can't go wrong with either MTW 2 or RTW. Both are pretty good games and Rome should be low enough for you to pick up the expansions for it (both of them). Contrary to the previous poster, MTW2 with the Kingdoms Expansion is a lot of fun.

Yet again, judge for yourself I guess.

neo_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 neo_nerd
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts
RTWwas my first love when it came to PC games. Recently got the M2TW expansion lots and lots of fun!
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Medieval 2 made me puke, Rome Total War with a good total conversion mod owns any other total war series. Europa Barboum,SPQR, and Roma Surrectum, and lets not forget the awesome and amazing Rome Total Realism. I suggest if your interested that you go here, www.twcenter.netstupiddk

ugh... the narrow minded "REAL IS BETTA!" mentality that makes me want to puke.

M2:TW is probably the best in the series. RTW has more mod out there considering its age, but even the mods it does have suffer from several limitations due to the engine's age.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Medieval 2
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Medieval II is my preference, but only because I like the setting. Its AI is slightly broken, and it does bring the average down a bit. Rome has much better AI.

On the whole, I don't think it makes a difference enough to call one game better. It's mostly personal preference. If you like the Roman setting, check out Rome. If medieval Europe appeals more, get Medieval II.

Or hell, get both. Get the Total War: Ages or Eras or whatever it's called, you get the original three TW games plus expansions. It's a great package. Then get M2 on top of that. These are games worth owning.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
Medieval is a lot better with it's expansion, but honestly, I think ME2 TW and RTW are gonna be neck and neck in this poll, it's like, Medieval 2 is good with the expansion, and Rome is good with some mods.