What is the best card for a normal pci slot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggerbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 biggerbig
Member since 2004 • 84 Posts

because i do not have 16x slot (grrr,well i think i dont but i dont really know what a 16x looks like and i doubt that,that brown thing is a 16x)

and with that video card will i be able to run crysis at good settings?

any replies will be appreciated thank you

killerbasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 killerbasa
Member since 2005 • 860 Posts
Uhh, I dont think any card that has a PCI interface can play Crysis at all. AGP 8x yeah PCI x16 yeah PCI....doubtful I have a question as well, my mobo has a PCI x4 slot, what type of cards use PCI x4 interface?
vitz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 vitz3
Member since 2004 • 1884 Posts

I'm sorry if I sound curt, but it's probably time for an upgrade. I'm assuming your running Intel "extreme" graphics?

Maybe a simple upgrade to at least an nforce 5 would do. They should be under $100 nowadays.

biggerbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 biggerbig
yeah just saw that i have a 8x AGP slot so what would be the best or at least strong enough to run crysis and such i mean i dont want to keep having games i cant even run
greatmax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 greatmax1
Member since 2006 • 1868 Posts
get a x1950pro, best agp card out there.
michael098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 michael098
Member since 2006 • 3441 Posts

because i do not have 16x slot (grrr,well i think i dont but i dont really know what a 16x looks like and i doubt that,that brown thing is a 16x)

and with that video card will i be able to run crysis at good settings?

any replies will be appreciated thank you

biggerbig

....i don't think you gonna find a pci video card capable of rendering crysis.

biggerbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 biggerbig
also did the error of notputting an e beside that,its a pci express slot but not 16x or am i just simply confused?
meggido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meggido
Member since 2005 • 16980 Posts

also did the error of notputting an e beside that,its a pci express slot but not 16x or am i just simply confused?biggerbig

It's quite possible that it's an 8x slot which doesn't transfer data as fast as a 16x, there is only a minor impact on performance. Do you know what motherboard you have so we can check?

Kiwi_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kiwi_1
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts

Only AsRock makes any MBs with real AGP + real PCIe(16) slots on the same mainboard, and if you owned one of those gems, you'd be aware of it. The good ones are for AMD processors, but there is also one for s775 (intel). Most AGP slots are between a tan and a greyish brown color, while plain PCI slots are white. I'll add a URL for a graphic showing all three.

http://www.diamondmm.com

AGP is still good enough for modern games if it's AGP3, and the card is an ATI.

But AGP cards cost from $10 to $20 more than the same card with a PCIe interface.

Plain PCI is so slow, and so old, it's worthless for gaming purposes.

(I had to edit this to attempt to add the URL that had been promised, but something in the forum's software wants to censor it, it seems. So when you get to Diamond's site, about halfway down, under "Advisor" click on "How to buy the right graphic card".)

biggerbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 biggerbig

well if this helps i have 3 white slots and 1 black one wich is a bit thinner and with a little thing sticking out of it at thefront theres no locking mechanism on that little thing (i would take a picture but i dont have a camera) also i have checked pictures and the slots are so similar of that of an agpslot thati cant tell!

pigman239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pigman239
Member since 2004 • 608 Posts
there's no way a normal pci card could even run crysis...if you have an agp slot you can run it badly, if you wanna run it well upgrade