what is the best AGP graphics card ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedDanDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RedDanDoc
Member since 2005 • 3720 Posts
Im holding of buying a new pc for a couple of months and i was wondering what is the best AGP graphics card ? Currently i have a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS which is ok for now but i was just wondering if there is anything i could get that is significantly better ? Do they still make agp cards ?
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
There's nothing worth upgrading to over the 7800GS if you're buying a new computer in a few months.
elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 elitegeek13
Member since 2007 • 636 Posts

correction: "What is the best piece of crap?"

and, yes, the make them, but decent ones are hard to find.

HavocEbonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 HavocEbonlore
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

The AGP bus isn't even being fully utilized, and it's still a very viable alternative.

ATI's HD 3850 is coming in an AGP version, the 3870 will also probably be AGP. It'll retail for a little over $200. If you have an Athlon XP, or a Pentium 4 CPU, you may want to rethink buying an agp card. It will be severely bottlenecked and the only solution would be to upgrade the mobo, CPU, and the memory. That can cost in the upper $300s, lower $400s, plus the card, which can be $600 or $700. While it can run the latest games very well, in the end the investment towards a PCI-express based system would be a better one.

If you're not ready for your PCI-express system for whatever reason and would like a temporary upgrade (mobo, cpu, memory to run the ATI HD 3850/3870) to hold you over for a while longer, I'd reconsider. The dollar-investment is just not cost-effective for a technology that's, while viable, is being phased out.

RedDanDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RedDanDoc
Member since 2005 • 3720 Posts

correction: "What is the best piece of crap?elitegeek13

Coming from somebody who cannot install a motherboard correctly.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Honestly though, most older boards that have AGP slots only have support for CPUs that would bottleneck the best AGP cards.
elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 elitegeek13
[QUOTE="elitegeek13"]

correction: "What is the best piece of crap?RedDanDoc

Coming from somebody who cannot install a motherboard correctly.

I can install a motherboard just fine. If you're so tech savvy then this thread wouldn't exist to begin with.

HavocEbonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HavocEbonlore

Honestly though, most older boards that have AGP slots only have support for CPUs that would bottleneck the best AGP cards.General_X

Nah, there's AGP motherboards that support the latest CPUs, such as the MSI K9MM-V (AMD-based), or the vastly superior ASROCK AM2NF3-VSTA (also AMD based). I couldn't find a better Intel-based AGP board that supports DDR2 800 memory (intel AGP mobos exist, but I couldn't find one to my liking), if anyone knows of one, I'd definitely like to know. Same goes for an AMD-based AGP board better than the one mentioned.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

[QUOTE="General_X"]Honestly though, most older boards that have AGP slots only have support for CPUs that would bottleneck the best AGP cards.HavocEbonlore

Nah, there's AGP motherboards that support the latest CPUs, such as the MSI K9MM-V (AMD-based). I couldn't find a better Intel-based AGP board that supports DDR2 800 memory (intel AGP mobos exist, but I couldn't find one to my liking), if anyone knows of one, I'd definitely like to know. Same goes for an AMD-based AGP board better than the one mentioned.

Yeah but the problem is most people who still use AGP have old mobos with old CPU sockets, and I don't really see the point of buying a new mobo that still supports AGP when PCI-E is becoming the standard.
elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 elitegeek13
not to mention that PCI E 2.0 is already being rushed by nvidia...
HavocEbonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HavocEbonlore
[QUOTE="HavocEbonlore"]

[QUOTE="General_X"]Honestly though, most older boards that have AGP slots only have support for CPUs that would bottleneck the best AGP cards.General_X

Nah, there's AGP motherboards that support the latest CPUs, such as the MSI K9MM-V (AMD-based). I couldn't find a better Intel-based AGP board that supports DDR2 800 memory (intel AGP mobos exist, but I couldn't find one to my liking), if anyone knows of one, I'd definitely like to know. Same goes for an AMD-based AGP board better than the one mentioned.

Yeah but the problem is most people who still use AGP have old mobos with old CPU sockets, and I don't really see the point of buying a new mobo that still supports AGP when PCI-E is becoming the standard.

True, but if those people still have viable AGP video cards, they can get alot more life out of them though a cheap upgrade. I'd say that the ATI HD 3850 should be the last go-around for AGP users, but chances are Nvidia will fire back with something. Regardless, AGP is still a viable solution and games can run very well on it

Even though PCI-E is becoming the standard, I'd hardly consider AGP to be legacy hardware, if that was your implication.

This flexible mobo (ASROCK ALiveDual-eSATA2) has both AGP and PCI-E, so an upgrade path is always there.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
Isnt AGP a little to old for this Era of gaming :P PCI express would be best right?
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

not to mention that PCI E 2.0 is already being rushed by nvidia...elitegeek13

Nvidia? Not really. ATI was first to the market with PCi-e 2.0 cards, and ATI also currently has a more varied lineup of PCI-e 2.0 cards on the market. Nvidia has three PCI-e 2.0 8800 cards (8800GT, 8800GS, and 8800 GTS 512MB) compared to the HD3850, HD3870, HD3870X2, HD3450, HD3470, and the HD3650.

elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 elitegeek13

[QUOTE="elitegeek13"]not to mention that PCI E 2.0 is already being rushed by nvidia...RayvinAzn

Nvidia? Not really. ATI was first to the market with PCi-e 2.0 cards, and ATI also currently has a more varied lineup of PCI-e 2.0 cards on the market. Nvidia has three PCI-e 2.0 8800 cards (8800GT, 8800GS, and 8800 GTS 512MB) compared to the HD3850, HD3870, HD3870X2, HD3450, HD3470, and the HD3650.

oh my mistake entirely. I hadn't realized that those cards supported PCI-E 2.0, but then again i don't keep up on ATI as much.

diako_lorddm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 diako_lorddm
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

IT is really beter to change your motherboard !

AGP grafic card are more expensive than PCI E ! and than money that you pay for AGP card can give u a good motherboard