What is good about Dark Souls? I don't get it.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tixylixx
Member since 2011 • 312 Posts

People saying how amazing it is but I'm just not seeing it, I thought the combat was going to be like Mount and Blade, you know it being all directional and having depth. Instead it just feels like any other game of its type but you can just die faster, I don't like how half the time it feels like I'm trying to find an exploit to win, rather than winning through game mechanics. I hate the movement, Japanese games always have this style of movement where the character can move off centre, it feels like animation over function to me.

I just don't get why people are going mad for the game, mount and blade works with a keyboard and mouse and works well, how couldn't this game function on a keyboard and mouse and needs a controller? Just seems like a bad port to me and it doesn't support the resolution of my monitor so it looks **** horrible.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

It's not published by EA or Activision and PC gamers feel obliged to play it because they formed a petittion that actually worked.

The game itself is not amazing, it's decent, not amazing.

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

It's a okish game, get it now while its 50% off on steam.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It's a okish game, get it now while its 50% off on steam.

Raxzor
It's cheaper on Amazon.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Just seems like a bad port to me and it doesn't support the resolution of my monitor so it looks **** horrible.

Tixylixx
It is a bad port. The game itself is good if your looking for a challenge. I didn't like spending a few hours in one area so stopped playing after 8 hours or so.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

People saying how amazing it is but I'm just not seeing it, I thought the combat was going to be like Mount and Blade, you know it being all directional and having depth. Instead it just feels like any other game of its type but you can just die faster, I don't like how half the time it feels like I'm trying to find an exploit to win, rather than winning through game mechanics. I hate the movement, Japanese games always have this style of movement where the character can move off centre, it feels like animation over function to me.

I just don't get why people are going mad for the game, mount and blade works with a keyboard and mouse and works well, how couldn't this game function on a keyboard and mouse and needs a controller? Just seems like a bad port to me and it doesn't support the resolution of my monitor so it looks **** horrible.

Tixylixx
There's a resolution mod you can download :) Keep playing the game, it's awesome. It won many awards for a reason.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

You must know not anything about good combat because Dark Souls has good

+Animations, Start up frames, recovering frames

+hit stun

+weight and feel of weapons and armour

+Enemy Ai patterns

+Almost Every weapon has different combat mechanics and animations leading to players playing it different styles. Long range melee weapons such as polearms can be used to zone enemies out by attacking from outside their melee range. Heavy weapons can be used to put enemies into hit-stun/stun lock animations.

The combat is good enough to be a third person Action game, but the RPG elements add even more.

The rest of the game is also compelling as it mixes dark surrealism with medieval fantasy with non-linear exploration. Demon Souls and DS are two of the best RPGs which have been made.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

You must know not anything about good combat because Dark Souls has good

+Animations, Start up frames, recovering frames

+hit stun

+weight and feel of weapons and armour

+Enemy Ai patterns

+Almost Every weapon has different combat mechanics and animations leading to players playing it different styles. Long range melee weapons such as polearms can be used to zone enemies out by attacking from outside their melee range. Heavy weapons can be used to put enemies into hit-stun/stun lock animations.

The combat is good enough to be a third person Action game, but the RPG elements add even more.

The rest of the game is also compelling as it mixes dark surrealism with medieval fantasy with non-linear exploration. Demon Souls and DS are two of the best RPGs which have been made.

ShimmerMan

That's a pretty solid description. That's why I like it. I played it for over 60 hours, and was almost at the end, and my harddrive sh!t out, BSOD on me, and I lost everything, and couldn't get my save game. Currently early on in a 2nd playthrough, which should go quite a bit faster.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

darks souls was originality and created for consoles. Once the game became a hit pc gamers tagged up on the devs page. The devs cave in said ok heres a direct port. They never planned or put it in the budget to have a pc port

it feels like you have to find a exploit to win? well then your doing something wrong... When i played it, it hardly every felt cheap and when i died it was pretty much my own fault for not blocking/dodgeing and attacking at the right moment. w/e i loved the game and can't wait for 2

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

A deep rich lore and story that isn't forced on you or shoved down your throat. No clue of where you're going and you actually have to explore yourself and get your bearings. No mini map/marker crap. Great combat, while not complex, is very very satisfying and rewarding. Incredible boss fights and set piece moments. Trial and error actually done right. Lot's of hidden things and every playthrough is slightly different. A big game world that seems linear but is actually impressively connected. One of the best implementations of Multiplayer.

There are lots of great things about the game, but it's not for everyone.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#11 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I didn't get it either, though it was an overrated game until I realized things aren't as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. In this game, patience=win, zero skill required; it still manages to present a decent challenge though.

I didn't like the exploration, I thought the world was ugly (with a very big exception for Ash Lake, amazing area, even though it doesn't have much to show)

It's brilliantly designed though, the world is connected to one central hub and it's never tiresome to move from place to place. Same can be said for sound design as well; there is little to no music during exploration which, you can hear distant sound effect from monsters, bosses etc. which allow you to somewhat predict what danger lies ahead. The soundtrack, when it comes, is awesome orchestral music.

Overall, it's an excellent game with very high replay value, but it's not nowhere near "one of the greatest games ever" or 'THE BEST GAME EVER!" as some people around here like to call it.

I also think that this game has that distinct PS1 vibe for some reason.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="Tixylixx"]

KHAndAnime

There's a resolution mod you can download :) Keep playing the game, it's awesome. It won many awards for a reason.

Justin Bieber and Britney Spears won many awards for a reason too?LOL

It is a mediocre game at best...it is exactly like the TC said...no combat mechanics AT ALL...roll hit,roll hit..climb up a ladder...roll hit...and so on...

Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tixylixx

I just wanted more from the combat, I expected something as deep as Mount and Blade but it's not that directional melee combat at all. It feels like old games like Zelda where you have to work out the patterns and exploit them and there are lots of way to exploit them but it doesn't feel skillful, just feels more about trial and error and memory.

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts

I don't like the controls, a lot of people say playing this game is easier with a PS3 controller, but in that case, why not just get it for PS3?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I didnt like the game either, in fact I hated it. According to the DS fans its because im not good at it.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

It's overrated by many, and the PC version is turrible.

CBN16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CBN16
Member since 2012 • 407 Posts

For me, it is because of how artistically amazing it is. This game's style is so great that I sometimes feel fightened. I cannot say that about any other games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

The game was made for consoles and so the fact that From Software decided to put it on consoles at all is commendable. It was designed from the ground up to work with a controller/gamepad, though.

I will always recommend Dark Souls, though. Most people who know me know this. I was extrememly impressed by the world. The art direction of each area is beautiful and unique, and it all fits together like an intricate puzzle. You will progress through an area and unlock a shortcut back to a previous bonfire that you had no idea you were near.

The combat is just fun, and I don't know what it is that makes it fun. The boss fights are also amazing. Ornstein and Smough, Four Kings, Bell Gargoyles, Knight Artorias, Crossbreed Priscilla, Sif... they are all awesome.

In my opinion, it is a type of game that you have to play to understand. It simply wouldn't work without the difficulty. The people who have played it and hate it are the ones who got beaten down and give up. Everyone who has seriously put time on it loves it. It is one of the best RPGs of this generation, and of all time.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Nothing.It is overrated.

Dark Souls is a mediocre game with almost no story and repetitive gameplay.

That is why I quit after the blighttown chekpoint.It became unbearably boring by that point.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Mod for the res, play on only keyboard, dont use the mouse. I just love it cause its fun, rewarding (I dont exploit my way through fights), and the art/music is better than almost every other game I have ever played.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Iantheone

Nothing.It is overrated.

That is why I quit after the blighttown chekpoint.It became unbearably boring by that point.

call_of_duty_10
How is it repetative? Every boss is different almost every enemy fight is different, every area is unique and fun to explore (except Blighttown but thats cause f*** swamps)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

Nothing.It is overrated.

Iantheone
How is it repetative? Every boss is different almost every enemy fight is different, every area is unique and fun to explore (except Blighttown but thats cause f*** swamps)

And there is a great story, he just missed it completely...
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

Demons Souls was better :P

Although the fact that you came in thinking it was going to be mount and blade combat makes you look silly. Plus mount n blade is just as overrated as dark souls.

Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tixylixx

Although the fact that you came in thinking it was going to be mount and blade combat makes you look silly. Plus mount n blade is just as overrated as dark souls.

Grimlim

I only play it for Multiplayer which is AMAZING.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Grimlim

It's hard to be as overrated as Dark Souls, especially when you bring an indie game into discussion, one that had mild succes and the internet isn't raving about it, groing crazy and praising every mediocrity it has, like superb story and such where there actually is none, just your imagination and some points that you link with that imagination (like inventing some kind of epic experience on your journey from bed to WC).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Yknow, I thought people liked Dark Souls. I guess I was wrong.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#27 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

realguitarhero5

Plenty of people like Dark Souls; it's an excellent game with absolutely amazing design and awesome, pinpoint precise combat.

People automatically dismiss it because certain people, including yourself, chant it out as " one of the best games ever "

NO. Certainly not one of the best games ever made. Incredible hype with a terrible first impression is what got most people to ignore this by all means awesome game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"]

SovietsUnited

Plenty of people like Dark Souls; it's an excellent game with absolutely amazing design and awesome, pinpoint precise combat.

People automatically dismiss it because certain people, including yourself, chant it out as " one of the best games ever "

NO. Certainly not one of the best games ever made. Incredible hype with a terrible first impression is what got most people to ignore this by all means awesome game.

I do think it is one of the best games ever and I will always claim that but I don't expect people to agree with me. I have my own experiences and things I value.

I am just surprised by the number of people jumping on this hate wagon. Honestly, I know that lots of people think it is "good, not great", but this is surprising.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

Dark souls, and to an extent the Souls series in general so far, is love it or hate it take it or leave it. I've found few people that don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. Most of the people that have a negative opinion of the game, contrary to what they say, hate it because of the difficulty, the potentially stiff death penalty, the lack of guidance/hand-holding, and the fact that the story and the lore aren't spoon-fed to them and laid out nice and neatly. It can be a little daunting and overwhelming at first, but people either come to appreciate the isolation, the freedom, the exploration/discovery, and the atmosphere it creates; or they hate the lack of accessability and how complicated some of the various aspects can be (such as item upgrades). I personally think it's one of the best games in the past few years and certainly one of the best ARPGs ever, but it's not without its issues.

The combat is incredibly deep btw. Timing, dodging, parrying, knowing your enemy's as well as your own weapon's movesets are all crucial to success. Just because you can't perform a vertical, horizontal and thrust attack with every weapon does not mean there isn't any depth, it just shows that your understanding of the game and the combat mechanics are lacking.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#30 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I didnt like the game either, in fact I hated it. According to the DS fans its because im not good at it.

pelvist

+1

I didn't think it was much good on any level...

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Tixylixx"]

rhazzy

Justin Bieber and Britney Spears won many awards for a reason too?LOL

It is a mediocre game at best...it is exactly like the TC said...no combat mechanics AT ALL...roll hit,roll hit..climb up a ladder...roll hit...and so on...

What awards have they won? Best pop music? Being the most popular, obviously they won awards relating to pop music. Dark Souls isn't the most popular game, but it has recognized for having very good combat mechanics for an RPG.
LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts
Both DS games are Love/Hate kind of games And this thread prove it actually For me both DS games are the best games I've played since Deus Ex in 2000
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

You're not alone, I thought it was the most boring bland game I ever touched

call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 call_of_duty_10
[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] How is it repetative? Every boss is different almost every enemy fight is different, every area is unique and fun to explore (except Blighttown but thats cause f*** swamps)

Nothing.It is overrated.

Iantheone

lol no Every fight is literally the same.Put shield up,run in circles around the enemy and attack when he's "reloading" after attacking you.As a matter of fact,I beat that big guy on the bridge using this technique,even though you are supposed to do the falling attack.
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 call_of_duty_10

[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

Nothing.It is overrated.

realguitarhero5

Oh?

Tell me more about this great story,then.Because till the blighttown checkpoint,it is:'Undead guy manages to escape his prison cell,starts killing everything". WOOOOOOOWW,what a deep and amazing story:roll:

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"]

realguitarhero5

I do think it is one of the best games ever and I will always claim that but I don't expect people to agree with me. I have my own experiences and things I value.

I am just surprised by the number of people jumping on this hate wagon. Honestly, I know that lots of people think it is "good, not great", but this is surprising.

It's only a handful of people in a Dark Souls troll thread, no need to worry.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I've never played it, but i remember someone had a sig on here for demons souls a while back that said "Get good or die" lol. I've heard the game is brutal and maybe thats why i've never tried it i like a challenge but not if i die every second. xD

LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"][QUOTE="Iantheone"] How is it repetative? Every boss is different almost every enemy fight is different, every area is unique and fun to explore (except Blighttown but thats cause f*** swamps)call_of_duty_10

Oh?

Tell me more about this great story,then.Because till the blighttown checkpoint,it is:'Undead guy manages to escape his prison cell,starts killing everything". WOOOOOOOWW,what a deep and amazing story:roll:

Yeah, I guess Call of Duty 10 will be winning oscars for screenwriting
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"] And there is a great story, he just missed it completely...LookAnDrolL

Oh?

Because people say CoD games have amazing stories, right?...to think these are the people that say it has a great story "yeah? yeah? yeah? well as if CoD has a better story".

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Iantheone
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] lol no Every fight is literally the same.Put shield up,run in circles around the enemy and attack when he's "reloading" after attacking you.As a matter of fact,I beat that big guy on the bridge using this technique,even though you are supposed to do the falling attack.

And the same can be said about any game. FPS games are all look down sights and shoot till things die. So repetative. RPG games, hit stuff till it dies. Platformers; jump until you win.
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 call_of_duty_10
[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] lol no Every fight is literally the same.Put shield up,run in circles around the enemy and attack when he's "reloading" after attacking you.As a matter of fact,I beat that big guy on the bridge using this technique,even though you are supposed to do the falling attack.

And the same can be said about any game. FPS games are all look down sights and shoot till things die. So repetative. RPG games, hit stuff till it dies. Platformers; jump until you win.

In rpgs ,You fight a bit,talk to npcs,complete a quest,travel,uncover great secrets and watch the story progress in awe...In dark souls,all you do is fight fight fight...boring... The only FPS game I play nowadays is tribes ascend.And it certainly isn't "look down the sights and shoot".
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 call_of_duty_10

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"] And there is a great story, he just missed it completely...LookAnDrolL

Oh?

I fail to see how call of duty is related to this. I guess that's all dark souls fanboys can do to defend the (lack of) story.Change the topic:P

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

I've never played it, but i remember someone had a sig on here for demons souls a while back that said "Get good or die" lol. I've heard the game is brutal and maybe thats why i've never tried it i like a challenge but not if i die every second. xD

BattleSpectre
LOL, I think I actually remembered seeing that sig on here somewhere. But on the real, I'm honestly glad I'm not the only one that hasn't played it yet for that reason, too. I suppose one day, I give a go to it--but I *really* got to be in that mindset b/c on one hand, I do like a challenging game; however dying every 2 seconds doesn't equate enjoyable, lol.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

PumpkinBoogie
LOL, I think I actually remembered seeing that sig on here somewhere. But on the real, I'm honestly glad I'm not the only one that hasn't played it yet for that reason, too. I suppose one day, I give a go to it--but I *really* got to be in that mindset b/c on one hand, I do like a challenging game; however dying every 2 seconds doesn't equate enjoyable, lol.

You don't die that often in Dark Souls.That's all just a bunch of bs...it's not harder than any other challenging game set to Hard.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#46 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

If you want an rpg that is more about combat then its story, characters or dialogue, then this is for you.

But if you want story, good characters or interesting dialogue, this is probably not for you.

I enjoyed the combat alot personally but thats it.

Also I have to disagree with it being the hardest game out there. For me games like Risen1/Risen2 and Megaman 9 are harder (atleast to me)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KHAndAnime

If you want an rpg that is more about combat then its story, characters or dialogue, then this is for you.

But if you want story, good characters or interesting dialogue, this is probably not for you.

Also I have to disagree with it being the hardest game out there. For me games like Risen1/Risen2 and Megaman 9 are harder (atleast to me)

kozzy1234

Dark Souls has a story, it has good characters, and it has interesting dialogue. It's just all done in a tasteful and minimalistic fashion, rather than the common "shove it down your throat" method that devs are so fond of these days.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

[QUOTE="Grimlim"]

DanielDust

It's hard to be as overrated as Dark Souls, especially when you bring an indie game into discussion, one that had mild succes and the internet isn't raving about it, groing crazy and praising every mediocrity it has, like superb story and such where there actually is none, just your imagination and some points that you link with that imagination (like inventing some kind of epic experience on your journey from bed to WC).

Mount n Blade receives tons of praise. Whenever you ask for best melee combat, people mention mnb. Dark souls is slightly overrated, but not as much as you think. Just because you didn't enjoy it personally (or did, either way) doesn't change how good or bad the game is. It has fun combat, tons of weapons to play around with, spells and miracles and armor and stats to add an rpg element. It has varied bosses and enemies to keep the game from getting stale, a unique multiplayer system of invading someone elses game or summoning for coop, as well as exploration and other things. It is in no way a "bad game." On paper it is quite good and in execution many people think it is quite good as well. Some people like the story, others don't. There is in fact a story to it as well as a back story. Whether it is good or not doesn't change that. Obviously there are faults: broken mechanics, weapons, horribly boring or annoying zones, lack of interesting story etc. I stopped playing because I thought they messed up too many things from DeS, like the lack of a nexus and lack of direction. But there is a lot of substance to the game nonetheless
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#49 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

KHAndAnime

Dark Souls has a story, it has good characters, and it has interesting dialogue.

No it does not have good story, good characters or interesting dialogue. It has none of those things at all imo.

It does have excellent combat and atmosphere, but thats where it ends for me.

Even my friends who think the Souls games are the best ever admit its low points are story and characters (check reviews to, you dont see many mention amazing story or GOOD characters or interesting dialogue as you say).

I respect you're opinion, but for me the series does not offer much other then combat and atmosphere.

I can enjoy some rpgs that lack in story, characters and dialogue, but I can also admit when rpgs do certain aspects badly (like souls does cahracters, story adn dialogue badly imo).

Some of the best combat around, but nothing was impressive about the story, characters or dialogue at all. In fact you are the first person ive seen priase the story, characters and dialogue of this series.

Hell even my favorite games of all time I can find faults in them, even though I love them. its not hard to see the SOULS series faults and low points imo. Then again everyoen is different.

Good dialogue I think of Obsidian rpgs, good story/characters I think of Planscape Torment, The Witcher1/2,etc... Souls series come to mind when I think of great combat and atmosphere, definatly not story or characters. What was so good about the story, characters and dialogue? Even from a minimalistic view point, its not got a good story, characters or dialogue imo. Nothing the cahracters said in both the souls games was remotely interesting. And there was no cahracters was interested about or cared about.

Every rpg does not have to have an amazing story, character or dialogue to me, but it was plainfully obvious that the soul series strengths are combat, controls and atmosphere, while its lower points are story, characters and dialogue. Atleast thats my honest opinion, ive been playing rpgs for over 25 years and the story/characters and dialogue in the souls games did not impress me at all.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Iantheone
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] lol no Every fight is literally the same.Put shield up,run in circles around the enemy and attack when he's "reloading" after attacking you.As a matter of fact,I beat that big guy on the bridge using this technique,even though you are supposed to do the falling attack.

In rpgs ,You fight a bit,talk to npcs,complete a quest,travel,uncover great secrets and watch the story progress in awe...In dark souls,all you do is fight fight fight...boring... The only FPS game I play nowadays is tribes ascend.And it certainly isn't "look down the sights and shoot".

And surprisingly you do all those things in Dark Souls. Just because you only played the first quarter or so doesn't mean that its the same completely through. Dark Souls has a lot of story and atmosphere and if youre too stupid to find it... Well then I guess we know why you dont like it.