What is AA when it comes to graphic cards?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Newportzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Newportzzz
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts

Sorry, I'm new to computer gaming and Im building my first build in a month or so and Im curious about what is AA? I keep hearing this on reviews on different video cards ex: this card cant run crysis with AA. What is this? I have a monitor thats 22' (actually 21.5') which is a screen resolution of 1920x1080

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Anti-Aliasing. It's basically mixing the pixels around the edge of and object into one similar colour, to make the lines appear smoother. Example: If you have a black diagonal line against a white background, it will look jagged, but if change some of the pixels surrounding the line to a greyish colour, it would look smoother.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Anti-aliasing

A process where the edges of all on-screen objects are analysed, and pixels are added around these edges to make them appear less jagged.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Anti-aliasing is a blending layer that is added to the edges of objects in 3D engines (games) to make the edges appear much softer and less pixelated.. Photoshop would be ideal here, but my work PC is down, so here's a quick example that I whipped up with windows paint to show the difference. It's not perfect, but hopefully you'll get the idea...
Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts

Sorry, I'm new to computer gaming and Im building my first build in a month or so and Im curious about what is AA? I keep hearing this on reviews on different video cards ex: this card cant run crysis with AA. What is this? I have a monitor thats 22' (actually 21.5') which is a screen resolution of 1920x1080

Newportzzz
When you show a line on pixels (which are square) you get jagged edges, resulting from the squareness of the pixels. AA removes this by blending colours so it's not that obvious.
ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
I'm gonna say it again :D It makes things more . Happy Hump Day's Eve!